Happy Memorial Day & Weekend!

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Re: Memorial Day

Post by steved2112 »

Well and nobly done, Judge.
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

2019 Memorial Day on it's way, what're your [drinking] plans?

Post by Rye and Coke »

Time to switch over from whiskies to vodka/white rum/tequila drinks and summer beers.

I'm thinking I'm going to bust out my rusted ass grill, make a couple of "Daddy's Lemonades" (2 parts Lemonade, 1 part limon vodka, and splash tropical flavored rum) and pay tribute and toast to those barely-grown warriors who went screaming into the maw of uncertainty for valor's sake.

What say you all?
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: 2019 Memorial Day on it's way, what're your [drinking] plans?

Post by Patchez »

I will be working since I work weekends. Since I'm in Maintenance I get to work Monday as well for a Capper rebuild. Yeah me.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

I'll be working as well, albeit shorter days. Not gonna stop me from drinking.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Going to drink liquor and grill every cow in sight. The funny thing about Memorial Day is not remembering so much.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

My plans include drinking plenty of beer and burning hot dogs. And playing all the hits while drinking beer and burning hot dogs. Should be a fun time.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Trying to remember the stashes in the cellar.

Drink for those who cannot any longer.
That's what they want us to do.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

mistah willies wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:57 pm

Quoting this post since I can't just give it a thumbs up.

There was one of those ships that was sunk in Pearl Harbor in 1941. Can't remember which one. But a few of the sailors retreated to a watertight compartment and waited for a rescue that never came. They lived in that watertight compartment, in complete darkness for 16 fucking days before they died. My fucking god. But I know if they had survived it, they would be barbecuing and drinking on Memorial Day, just like we all should.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Hugh wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:01 am
mistah willies wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:57 pm

Quoting this post since I can't just give it a thumbs up.

There was one of those ships that was sunk in Pearl Harbor in 1941. Can't remember which one. But a few of the sailors retreated to a watertight compartment and waited for a rescue that never came. They lived in that watertight compartment, in complete darkness for 16 fucking days before they died. My fucking god. But I know if they had survived it, they would be barbecuing and drinking on Memorial Day, just like we all should.
Thanks for sharing. This certainly puts things in perspective when we think we are having a shit day.

I concur with you and Willies...raise a glass for those who cannot and Cheers to celebrate life.
Okole maluna!

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

War Memorial on the back wall of a bar

Post by Merchant Seaman »

A little late for Memorial Day, but still.

I’ve seen War memorials all over the world, Guam Saipan, China, Japan Europe, Washington D.C. even the one in St. Petersburg (AKA Leningrad AKS Stalingrad) for “The Great Patriotic War,” and in one way or another I was moved by them, all but none I’ve seen are quite so eloquent as the back wall of an old saloon in Oakland California
In Oakland California in 1880, so person salvaged the timbers from a derelict whaling ship at the foot of Webster Street, and a few yards away built a structure that for three years was a bunkhouse for men working the nearby oyster beds. Then in 1883 a young man named Jonny Heinold purchased the building for 100$ and with the help of a friend, who was ships carpenter, renovated the bunkhouse into the saloon that still stands, in much of it’s original form, to this day.

On the 8TH of December 1941, the U.S. Army formally opened The Oakland Army Base it’s had many names through the years, but it’s most commonly known as The Oakland Army Base.
For an Army Base this one would seem strange to many, few barracks, and the most notable feature would be the docks, so in many ways it resembled a Navy Base more than an Army Base.

The base may have looked like a Navy Base, but in it’s 58 year history, few if any Military ships ever put in at it’s docks, indeed few government owned ships did either, and for the most part the government owned ships that did had civilian crews.
One group of Merchant Ships that put in at The Oakland Army Base between the years 1941 and 1965 were converted passenger liners (not to be confused with cruise ships) passenger liners converted into troop ships.

I’m not sure if it’s still true today, but in Vietnam and before U.S. Soldiers were not allowed to carry U.S. greenbacks into war zones, so the Military issued “script”, which of course could be converted back into U.S. dollars upon return Stateside.
Contrary to the thinking of many, if not all, people who serve, the Army Brass is not stupid, and they knew that upon return to the U.S. most of the service men and women would want to enjoy life, and that enjoyment would involve a fair amount of drinking, and other forms of revelry.
So to try and keep this to a minimum it was usually a few days before Military folks could exchange their script for dollars.
But as Smart as the Brass may be, the Enlisted folk are smarter, so many would write their names on some money, perhaps a 1 or 2 dollar bill in ww2, maybe a five during Korea, a five or a ten in the early days of Vietnam, and give it to Jonny Heinold, who would pin it up on the back wall behind his bar, so that upon their return, they would simply have to walk over to Jonny Heinold’s First and Last Chance Saloon, retrieve their money, and enjoy the saloon’s hospitality, or perhaps one of the many women of negotiable virtue that inhabit Oakland’s waterfront.

So why is some of that money still there? You already know the answer to that, but it’s worth stating for the record.

They don’t all come home.

They’re made sacred not because they were superhero’s or so type of “Rambo” but because they weren’t, for the most part they average people, who when asked answered a call to do and see things no person should ever have to, and did extraordinary things.
In the end all they wanted was to do their duty and come home have a few beers with their comrades, and then go on with their lives, make their way in this world as best they could, for the people who have money left on the back wall of Heinold’s they never got that chance, they gave all they had and then some.

I’ll leave to those wiser and better educated than me to debate just or unjust wars, politics, or such. I’ll leave to artistic types to decide what a “proper memorial looks like.
For this blue collar bum, when I’m in Oakland, and I get in there often enough, I’ll always stop by Jonny Heinold’s Saloon, where I’ll drink my Bourbon neat, and always lift a glass to the wall behind the bar in honor of those, who came from farms, factories, schools mines, mills, or whathave you, answered a call and in so doing became extraordinary.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: War Memorial on the back wall of a bar

Post by Badfellow »

That is one of the most fitting war memorials of which I’ve ever seen or heard. Your sharing of it is much appreciated.

Basically, in every little VFW and American Legion across the country, there are any number of engraved plaques upon the walls honoring those locals who served in the armed forces during wartime. And always given paramount placement are the memorials for the dead. I try to make a point of reading them, if only to know their names for a minute and try to imagine there was a real person behind that name with a real life lost and a family survived who had to bare grief. It’s worth a moment of reflection, and no one ever looks at you weird when you raise your drink to where their names are posted in memoriam.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ