Calendar of Drinking Days

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: Calendar of Drinking Days

Post by Dear Booze »

Today is "Give a Bum a Drink Day."

I'm not sure who started Give a Bum a Drink Day, when it started, and if there are any guidelines for celebrating. So let's just going to go with this: find a homeless person, wino, urban camper, panhandler, or hobo, and give him or her a beer. Or, Invite your new friend into a bar for a few cocktails. Bonus points if you find a bar with free snacks.

Remember, you can't solve all of the world's homeless problems by buying one guy a drink, but for that one person, you will solve all of his problems for the day.
DRINK!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

I actually marked my calendar with this one from your Dear Booze website. It's something I'd like to do, but frankly can't. If I were seen doing it, my neighbors would undoubtedly be outraged. But also it would make myself a mark, whatever bum I gave a drink to today, would be pursuing me the other 364 days of the year.

Last week as I was going to the liquor store, a bum was stopped in the doorway pleading with the clerk, "But I took a shower today! Let me in! I took a shower today!" He was turned away and as I went past him, it was apparent he was lying about the shower. Just a few minutes later as I was standing in line at the taco stand, the bum approached me with a couple of wadded up bills in his hand asking me to go in the liquor store and get him a High Gravity. I declined, as did the other people in line at the time. He was a true bum, dressed in paper hospital pants and wanting nothing more from life than a tall can of beer.

The very next night he was ahead of me in line waiting to check out at CVS Pharmacy with a bottle of vodka in his hand. His hospital pants now had a shit stain all the way down the back of his left leg. (Although the thing that struck me most about his appearance from behind was that he had a pony tail neatly rubber banded.) He went up to the clerk and set the bottle on the counter along with some wadded up bills. The clerk snapped at him that it wasn't enough money, and the bum just turned and walked away without much of a fight. As I walked home with my purchase, he was shuffling down the alley with his shopping cart. I wish I had paid for his vodka bottle for him, or maybe just gave him a couple cans of beer from my own stock, but I didn't.

In pre-pandemic days when I would be out and about in the neighborhood hitting my favorite bars, I would sometimes give a bum a $20 if he asked me for spare change. It makes both of us feel good. Of course, I always have to wonder if the fresh pile of human feces right smack in front of my back gate the next morning was left by him.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Hugh wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:33 pm
I always have to wonder if the fresh pile of human feces right smack in front of my back gate the next morning was left by him.
Nah, that`s mine.
Drink!

Dear Booze

National Bartender Day

Post by Dear Booze »

Tomorrow, Friday, December 8, is the day to celebrate that special person in your life who can make or break your undrunkenness. Chances are, you have a favorite. Celebrate by reversing the whole bartender-will-listen-to-me scenario. Instead, ask them if there’s something that they would like to talk about. After all, they are humans just like us. If the conversation begins to get boring, simply stop listening and resort to tipping them very well.
DRINK!