Ever heard of Gardenia Mix?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Ever heard of Gardenia Mix?

Post by Badfellow »

I like to think of myself as well versed in the fields of food and drink. And much like yourself, I can appreciate the flourish of cocktail culture that comes with the mere mention of a tiki drink. But then there are times when something comes along and shit just blows my mind, making me realize how much, in fact, I do NOT know.

Case in point: Gardenia Mix. No, it doesn’t contain any flowers. It was an invention of the legendary godfather of tiki Mr. Donn Beach. If you don’t know who Donn Beach is or if you’ve never heard of Don the Beachcomber, woe is for you. Here’s an article on Gardenia Mix from Liquor.com if you’d like to read more.

What’s amazing here is that given the right technique, it’s possible to make a stabilized, cold butter syrup that will mix evenly and smoothly into your drink of choice. No globs of crap floating around. Just a rich, smooth flavor that adds dimension to a drink and ties together complex flavors. As you might imagine, it’s rum’s best friend (think iced buttered rum and you’re damn well on the right track).

As I discovered this miracle concoction Gardenia Mix last night at the bar, I purposely asked the bartender to "burn" the drink with a heavy pour of Rhum Niesson (50%abv) just to see how the stuff holds up under a more fiery booze conditions. Worked like a tiki charm.

Believe me, if you don’t try making a small batch of this easy-to-make mix at least once, you are depriving yourself of a great and most pleasurable experience in the sojourns of your professional drinking career.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Ever heard of Gardenia Mix?

Post by benitobeast69 »

Unsurprisingly it was rediscovered/resurrected by Jeff Beachbum Berry...if it wasn't for that fella we'd all be drinking rum and pineapple juice and thinking it was an authentic tiki experience. He is like a fucking god of tiki research..

And yeah while I usually prefer Vic's recipe's.. Don is defo the master just for all the mixes he invented.

Bet Patchez would shit a brick for this....You know how he likes hot buttered rum.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Yeah, you and Patchy were two of the people I had in mind while I was tasting in technicolor.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Oh hell yeah. That is on my list after sorting out the Martini Quest.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Mixed up a drink last night that was deeeeeeeee-lightful. Basically dark rum, light rum, grapefruit juice, lime and Gardenia mix. Shaken with ice in the glass. Very simple but very tasty and get’s you feeling irie with no delay.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

I defo wanna try it..

Although I do keep reading this wrong as "Giardiniera mix"

In my head your chugging down glasses of rum and pickled veg.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

^^^ I thought the same thing at first. I just assumed everyone had lost the rest of their minds.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Black rum blended with white rum always makes for very good drinks. That gardinia mix though, not so much
Drink!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Oetts, your Gardenia cookies are way off in the IKEA furniture of your mind.

€290 the Ottënjer