Are some people predisposed to trouble with booze?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Are some people predisposed to trouble with booze?

Post by Savage »

When we lived in Japan, the sensei that hired us to be "model English speakers" for his class assured me that Japanese people could not metabolize alcohol well. Well, he was a drunk... We drove him home after Beer Dome visits.

I got to thinking about it, and I am pretty sure being a combo mongrel of English, Irish, and German has made me bulletproof. I drink a rather staggering amount, and I do not get hangovers, or eff up. But I am fine with no booze, like when trying to lose weight, or when ill, or when I make fruitcake for the holidays. I really do not care for fruitcake made with booze. Maybe because my mother made it plain. I did a boozy one one once, and neither I nor any of my family members cared for it. You drink bourbon with fruitcake, not douse it with it.

However, as we segue into the colder months, there is nothing so good as a breakfast that begins with spiced rum hot chocolate and cinnamon toast.
like tears in rain

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Are some people predisposed to trouble with booze?

Post by benitobeast69 »

Savage wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:44 am
When we lived in Japan, the sensei that hired us to be "model English speakers" for his class assured me that Japanese people could not metabolize alcohol well. Well, he was a drunk... We drove him home after Beer Dome visits.

I got to thinking about it, and I am pretty sure being a combo mongrel of English, Irish, and German has made me bulletproof. I drink a rather staggering amount, and I do not get hangovers, or eff up. But I am fine with no booze, like when trying to lose weight, or when ill, or when I make fruitcake for the holidays. I really do not care for fruitcake made with booze. Maybe because my mother made it plain. I did a boozy one one once, and neither I nor any of my family members cared for it. You drink bourbon with fruitcake, not douse it with it.

However, as we segue into the colder months, there is nothing so good as a breakfast that begins with spiced rum hot chocolate and cinnamon toast.
I was the same as you with making Xmas pudding......It kinda feels like a waste of good booze as well. I always add a bit still though cause I feel like I'm fucking with tradition otherwise...I prefer the flavor of the booze poured over it before serving though.

As to predispositions to alcohol...I defo think people can be predisposed to addiction. My dad is like that..and not just the booze either..anything he gets into he gets into with ridiculous wild abandon. He got into Hornby trains once and within 6 months he had spent like 25 grand on fucking toy trains....couldn't move for them round the house. He didn't even play with them or anything just liked buying them. All sat in my garage now. I need to sell that shit...lot of bottles of liquor could be bought with that change.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Here’s what the official Mayo Clinic website has to say about some people being predisposed to trouble with alcohol:

" Alcohol intolerance occurs when your body doesn't have the proper enzymes to break down (metabolize) the toxins in alcohol. This is caused by inherited (genetic) traits most often found in Asians."

Possessing the necessary enzymes to metabolize said toxins is most likely a response evolved over many hundreds of years of drinking alcoholic beverages. Most Asians did not evolve this response due to the prevalence of tea and opium versus alcohol.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Badfellow wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:36 am
Here’s what the official Mayo Clinic website has to say about some people being predisposed to trouble with alcohol:

" Alcohol intolerance occurs when your body doesn't have the proper enzymes to break down (metabolize) the toxins in alcohol. This is caused by inherited (genetic) traits most often found in Asians."

Possessing the necessary enzymes to metabolize said toxins is most likely a response evolved over many hundreds of years of drinking alcoholic beverages. Most Asians did not evolve this response due to the prevalence of tea and opium versus alcohol.
what the fuck is the Mayo Clinic??? You just making shit up now??

I checked Mustard Medical and it says....
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Badfellow wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:36 am

Also, no grapes. I feel so sorry for them.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

^^^ and no milk either right?

A white russian must be their worst nightmare. With a red bandana and knife and all
Drink!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

benitobeast69 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:22 am

…don’t be daft, ya greasy bastard.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Badfellow wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:33 am
benitobeast69 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:22 am

…don’t be daft, ya greasy bastard.
I make the best Mayonnaise. Period.
The spoon stands straight as a testimony to my talent.
Bring your eggs. Etienne stares at you with an icy stare.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Of your mayonnaise extraordinaire there is no question, Mr. B.

But how are your mustards? Are they up to snuff?

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Badfellow wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:08 pm
Of your mayonnaise extraordinaire there is no question, Mr. B.

But how are your mustards? Are they up to snuff?
As a happy coincidence, Dijon is in France.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

What do you do when your loved one becomes an alcoholic?

Post by Savage »

When I met Grumpy I hardly drank
My beloved Grandaddy was a bourbon man, and as a grocery chain purchasing agent, was kept well supplied. Grandmother drank red wine, and she believed in sharing with children, to avoid future alcoholism. Grandaddy did not share. Mother and aunt occasionally drank Grasshoppers that had about nearly zero alcoholic content--ice cream treats with a splash of mint and chocolate liqueurs. My midwestern grandparents were teetotallling (grandma) and brown likker drinking (grandpa) Never! Never shared with children!

On our first date, Grumpy asked me what I wanted to drink. Remembering a previous Disco Dave type boyfriend, I said, rum and coke. Wow. I learned right away that Bacardi and Tijuana rot gut were quite different. And G ran the bar! I tasted bourbon. I liked it. We got married. I got pregnant. Threw up everything but milk and Anita's Mexican food. We were broke but I bought Grumps his Jack. (He couldn't drink at the club he was fapped to)

Fast forward today. G falling down and bleeding is way old and so is his brain turning to cream of wheat by nine. I am tired of this. I could always ( since I drank) drink and not drool, ya know? But he just got turned down for insurance because his liver is shot. By nine, if not by 7, his mind is gone, and he "falls asleep"
like tears in rain

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: What do you do when your loved one becomes an alcoholic?

Post by Savage »

dammit. sorry guys. double post that i can't erase.
like tears in rain

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: What do you do when your loved one becomes an alcoholic?

Post by oettinger »

Hmm hard to say since I married AD because she is a drunk. Alcoholic? Does that come with age?
I think I`d get drunk too while his brain is turning into cream chease. I have no solutions for your problem so far. I am sorry
Drink!

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Merchant Seaman »

I've never had trouble with booze, me and booze get along fine, now that's not to say that some other people haven't had a problem with my booze, but that's their problem.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

It seems that people’s troubles with booze have to do with drinking waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much or not drinking at all. There are no solutions. Only drinks, and in my case smokes.