Liver & other health issues

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: Liver Issues

Post by Mr Boozificator »

It's actually insane, but every blood test/check up/whatever I took said I was a perfectly healthy person. Apparently, my metabolism doesn't give a shit about alcohol and cigars. it just shrugs off the consequences. Well, what can I do, I keep on drinking.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Getting blood work done the day after getting hammered will skew your results. There is a reason that they tell you to fast for 12 hours before your blood is taken. Even after you are no longer intoxicated, there are all types of enzymes that are floating around in there that wouldn't be around if you hadn't gotten drunk. I used to go to the doctor and not fast every time, and always caught shit from him aobut the results.

I'm not trying to tell y'all what to do, but why get liver enzymes tested after a fine night drinking? It would be analagous to having your hearing tested after getting your ears boxed.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

FNZ wrote:I'm not trying to tell y'all what to do, but why get liver enzymes tested after a fine night drinking? It would be analagous to having your hearing tested after getting your ears boxed.
I hope this is the case, as I got my results back last night and had a mini intervention. My biliruben, uric acid, ALT (or something) and some other liver related stuff all were high. I had not had a drink at the time of the draw, but did the night before, the old lady + 2 family wernt to happy and is trying to get me to cut back. I dont want to, I need drunkard support. Everyone has labled me as an alcoholic, parents included. I want to keep drinking for the long hall so maby cutting back will allow me to drink for many years to come, but at the same time I cant be happy drinking less. So in the mean time Im working a handle of jameson this very cold morning, drinks are on me
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Miklo wrote: I hope this is the case, as I got my results back last night and had a mini intervention. My biliruben, uric acid, ALT (or something) and some other liver related stuff all were high. I had not had a drink at the time of the draw, but did the night before, the old lady + 2 family wernt to happy and is trying to get me to cut back. I dont want to, I need drunkard support. Everyone has labled me as an alcoholic, parents included. I want to keep drinking for the long hall so maby cutting back will allow me to drink for many years to come, but at the same time I cant be happy drinking less. So in the mean time Im working a handle of jameson this very cold morning, drinks are on me
This life is yours to live how you see fit! Cheers! Personally I'd rather die drunk than undrunk.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Cliffie S. Bockerson
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Cliffie S. Bockerson »

I also highly recommend dosing up with milk thizzle.
"Nossir. Even in my worst delirium I never interfered with the flow of traffic. I never drank any hair tonic, either."

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Cliffie S. Bockerson wrote:thizzle.
Then you're just replacing liver pain with jaw ache.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

have you checked that your doctor isn't on the drys' payroll?
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Booz Hound
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Booz Hound »

Mr. Viking wrote:have you checked that your doctor isn't on the drys' payroll?
He is a suspicious looking gent at that! I'll have to investigate. Plus, got the milk thistle and pop about 3 - 4 a day, got another test in a few weeks so we’ll see how it goes. Any my cutting down seems to be working too! i'm down to one handle every three days insted of one and a half, still not happy about it though.
Fear the Man, kill the snitch. Just remember life's a bitch.
- Motorhead

Oh nooo, my brain!
- Hans Moleman

Freddie AppsHero
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Freddie AppsHero »

Just got myself a bottle of "Swisse Liver Detox" pills. Contains globe artichoke, Saint Mary's thistle and turmeric.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

The Frederick wrote:Just got myself a bottle of "Swisse Liver Detox" pills. Contains globe artichoke, Saint Mary's thistle and turmeric.
What, no Burdock root or Fennel seed? Take it back.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

I'm sure Negromancer has some secret recipe with virgin blood and mandragore roots in it.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

I know a guy who died the other day. He had cerrocis which caused an annurism in his brain, he was 37 and a solid drinker, may he rest in peace. Needless to say, I am back on Milk Thissle.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

The Frederick wrote: turmeric.
The chief spice ingredient in kufta kabobbs; I like tumeric.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

One of the board members, and a guy I considered a brother (his actual brother and I were stationed together) had a similar issue. He died after ignoring the increasing warning signs. Take the doc's advice; take a breather. You can still indulge in the culture, contrary to popular belief, without getting drunk. Be the designated driver for a while. Be the guy who has a drink and then calls it quits to take fair maidens home. It is a real thing, and unless you've got a couple of books out and want to die a legend (I'm looking at you Jacks... London and Kerouac), it isn't worth the hassle. I can't speak for the entire Drunkard community, but I can say that you're probably better off to us over the next twenty years, than flaming out in the next one.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Rooster wrote:One of the board members, and a guy I considered a brother (his actual brother and I were stationed together) had a similar issue. He died after ignoring the increasing warning signs. Take the doc's advice; take a breather. You can still indulge in the culture, contrary to popular belief, without getting drunk. Be the designated driver for a while. Be the guy who has a drink and then calls it quits to take fair maidens home. It is a real thing, and unless you've got a couple of books out and want to die a legend (I'm looking at you Jacks... London and Kerouac), it isn't worth the hassle. I can't speak for the entire Drunkard community, but I can say that you're probably better off to us over the next twenty years, than flaming out in the next one.
Interesting perspective. I had to come to terms with what "moderate drinking" means to me, my own mortality and how important it is to be totally fucking drunk all the time. It all led to me cutting back a bit and taking a night off if I don't have any time to drink.I still get totally blacked out sometimes, but it's not my mission statement anymore. I don't know. I'm not saying anything bad about alcohol- I'm just saying that you can enjoy it however you like/have to and you're no less a drunk for being less... drunk. It's about a love of drink, not quantity.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James