Liver & other health issues

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Severe Liver Damage?

Post by DeeboCools »

I cut myself at work and had 5 stitches put in my shot-taking thumb today. Hurts like hell.

Anyway, I told the doctor the truth more-or-less about how much I drink, I said "8 beers," which is a low estimate, and she didn't seem phased.

I hoped I would get some kind of prescription painkiller(it's a bad cut), but instead they gave me Acetaminophen(500mg, which sounds like a lot). Which of course famously says this:

"Severe liver damage may occur if you take 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day while using this product"

I think that doctor was being a C-word.

So I'm wondering how real this risk is? If it just said "liver issues" or something I might risk it, but "severe" sounds severe. Is this a real risk for the average person?
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Judge

Re: Severe Liver Damage?

Post by Judge »

Very short term use you shouldn't need it. Be a man, throw the pills away, stick your thumb in some ice if it really hurts or drink enough until its a distant throb waaaay out there at the end of your arm.

And of course you know the doctors multiply our answers by at least 3.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

you should have asked for motrin/ibprofin. i got the 800mg and have taken them while drinking before. be smart and throw those damn pills away.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

Shit, I wouldn't take it. I mean it sounds painful but pain is not going to kill you. I wouldn't risk taking those pills if you are gonna be drinking. I don't know about you, but I'd rather be drunk than be on pain medication.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Well, I didn't plan on taking it while drinking unless someone piped up to say "I do it all the time, it's totally fine".

The question is really about just pills, or just booze. I know the answer to that one.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Cliffie S. Bockerson
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Cliffie S. Bockerson »

Aseedaminnowfin is very, very bad when used in conjunction with alcohol. Think liver failure.

Ibuprofen is better, according to my understanding, but pain medications and alcohol do not mix, in general. I'd recommend using the booze as an analgesic, and nothing else.
"Nossir. Even in my worst delirium I never interfered with the flow of traffic. I never drank any hair tonic, either."

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

I don't think I've ever took pills for pain more than few days at max. And I've broken me good couple of bones etc. Pain is usually something you can deal with. The problem is when the limb etc. refuses to work right or you feel like it's not part of your body at all.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Bur wrote: The problem is when the limb etc. refuses to work right or you feel like it's not part of your body at all.
Welcome back from World War One. Man, this thumb doesn't seem like such a big deal now that I hear about your "alien leg"/I'm drunk.

I'm sticking with booze as my primary analgesic. That's the answer I secretly wanted all along I'm sure.

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

"Possible side effect" listings on meds are borderline ridiculous, i remember my uncle being given statins some years ago. On the adverse effects it actually listed "Possible death". He threw them in the bin and made some positive lifestyle changes instead. He's still alive btw.

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

The Limey wrote:"Possible side effect" listings on meds are borderline ridiculous, i remember my uncle being given statins some years ago. On the adverse effects it actually listed "Possible death". He threw them in the bin and made some positive lifestyle changes instead. He's still alive btw.
Was just gonna talk about the meds that have death as a side effect, that is just hilarious.

I once did 3 pills of codeine and had a few beers because my wisdom teeth were bothering me. Felt awesome, but was probably a bad idea.

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

Judge wrote:Be a man, throw the pills away, stick your thumb in some ice if it really hurts or drink enough until its a distant throb waaaay out there at the end of your arm.
+1. Acedaminophen is terrible for you if you are drinking. Regardless, throw that shiite away or sell it to someone you hate. I just pulled my calf to the point where I had to find my old crutch so I could walk. I even have insurance and could have gone to the doctor but all they would give me is pills. I hate pills. I have a whole bottle of valium that I don't even care about.

I drink, the pain goes away. I just have to remember that even if it seems like I can walk fine, it's not a good idea when drunk.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

Acetaminophen is the number one cause of liver failure. The recommended daily dosage of Tylenol has just been reduced on its packaging and is expected to be reduce it further. Acetaminophen is also found in Vicodin, Percocet, Lortab, Fioricet, and Roxicet so avoid those too if you think your liver is important.

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/ne ... pain-drugs
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

Rumhead
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Rumhead »

Two things happen when you take Acetaminophen (Tylenol, aspirin) with booze -(1) it doesn't work (2) it destroys your liver. Just drink more. If you need something, take an ibuprofen. Even if you aren't drinking.
Alcohol makes us better human beings. - FKR

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

KissMyPabst
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by KissMyPabst »

The Limey wrote:"Possible side effect" listings on meds are borderline ridiculous, i remember my uncle being given statins some years ago. On the adverse effects it actually listed "Possible death". He threw them in the bin and made some positive lifestyle changes instead. He's still alive btw.
My favorite are the anti-depressants that may "increase the risk of suicide."
Can I pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
A little early isn't it, Woody?
For a beer?
No, for stupid questions...

"I got me a bottle and a dream, it's so maudlin it seems..."

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

The commercial for gout medicine where the dude is haulin around this bigass beaker of green shit that I guess is what gout looks like and one of the side effects is "may cause gout flare up". They can kiss my ass Pabst cured mine.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought