Drinking Man III

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Graham Stephenson
Booze Head
Booze Head

Re: Drinking Man III

Post by Graham Stephenson »

I'm strangely weirded out by the name of this event.

Drinking MAN?

Are women welcome?

In this day and time, I believe.we are better than that. Or, should I say, we SHOULD be better than that.

Dear Slushfund, please be considerate and have some compassion! "Drinkingperson" is more inclusive. Don't you agree?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Graham Stephenson wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:13 pm
I'm strangely weirded out by the name of this event.

Drinking MAN?

Are women welcome?

In this day and time, I believe.we are better than that. Or, should I say, we SHOULD be better than that.

Dear Slushfund, please be considerate and have some compassion! "Drinkingperson" is more inclusive. Don't you agree?
I wouldn`t go, wait for Drunk Man VIII when it gets fun again
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Badfellow wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:39 pm
slushfund wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:23 am
Welcome to Motel 6, my name is Don. Haven’t spoken in years, but how may I chain you to the radiator?
Great stuff there. Thanks.

Scream Ale had a Mötorhead cover band called Scrëmøellenoggin that might drop their socks in your washing machine. Otherwise it’s all a bit short notice. How do you feel about huffing ayahuasca through a hollowed turkey bone?
Sadly that band is done. Creative differences. Besides we'd never take dirty laundry across state lines.

Give Oett a decent karaoke machine and keep the vodka flowing and you will have the greatest one man GN'R tribute band ever.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

scream ale wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:13 am
Badfellow wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:39 pm
slushfund wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:23 am
Welcome to Motel 6, my name is Don. Haven’t spoken in years, but how may I chain you to the radiator?
Great stuff there. Thanks.

Scream Ale had a Mötorhead cover band called Scrëmøellenoggin that might drop their socks in your washing machine. Otherwise it’s all a bit short notice. How do you feel about huffing ayahuasca through a hollowed turkey bone?
Sadly that band is done. Creative differences. Besides we'd never take dirty laundry across state lines.

Give Oett a decent karaoke machine and keep the vodka flowing and you will have the greatest one man GN'R tribute band ever.
That’s so sad. You guys were great together. Saw one of your shows at Jimbo’s in Fresno. Or maybe it was someone else, I was pretty drunk between 1996 and right now.

Oh, yes. Oett is hard at work on his Gn’R tribute band Guns und Lederhosen. He’s even working on the "bloated" Axl look to keep things real. All he needs is just a little patience.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

^^^ It was definetly Jimbo's in Fresno. We did the entire "Orgasmatron" album out of tune with the wrong chords and the lyrics translated from English to Jibberish. It was pure magic, a time I barely remember. Mostly because of Evan Williams.

Judge

Post by Judge »

Y'all trashing on something you know nothing about. I was at the first Drinking Man (name is a reference to Burning Man). We met Don at Con 2 in Denver. He invited us drunks from all over to attend at the biggest barn party I've ever been to. Bartenders were easy on the eyes and always there, the food was great, the burlesque show was fabulous, the band great. I met my future son-in-law's parents for the first time. The shuttle bus nearly ran over Ruiner (my now son-in-law) as he passed out in the driveway at midnight.

My daughter was introduced to the said in-laws, however, she wasn't looking her best. As she exited the porta-potty she angrily (read mean drunk) refused my steadying hand and promptly took a header resulting in a sharp gravel rash on her face. We simply told them she wasn't a Patriots fan and Mike corrected her.

Fiyah took a similar tumble on the back steps and spent the rest of the time holed up in the motel with most of his lip looking like hamburger.

I used Oggar's head as a drink stand (there is a picture of this somewhere).

It was 3 days of booze and debauchery. Injuries and romance. For some reason no one actually went to the hospital...but some people did seem to disappear. Lots of woods out there in west Mass. I forgot how many people attended that one but it constituted a decent representationof the board members at the time. So you johnny come latelies mock as you want. You'll never know the hangovers you'll be missing.

Short story, Don throws a great party. Anyone who's been knows. For a lot of reasons I can't attend, but if you have the ability, you'll have a great time. I mean, its FREE BOOZE.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

Judge wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:17 am
Y'all trashing on something you know nothing about...
Hey Judge, did you know that The Eagles' song "New Kid In Town" (Johnny Come Lately) was written about Bruce Springsteen? It's true.

In those mid-1970's, Bruce had kind of knocked The Eagles from their throne; things were changing. This didn't mean the Eagles were irrelevant, it just meant things were changing.

The Eagles recognized this natural shift in musical taste and stepped up their game. They went on to create some of the best songs of their career.

Oh, by the way, Springsteen maintained a high level of respect for The Eagles, particularly for their song writing skills.

Here's my point: It seems that the old guard on this here board views the "johnny come lately" crowd with contempt. At the same time, the newbies seem to resent the old-timers in the same manner. To me, this is puzzling. But I kind of get it at the same time.

I was a lurker on the board for many years. I used to read the posts from all of you. I enjoyed reading everything you all posted and admired the high level of writing skill that many of you possessed. But I didn't actually create an account until 2012 or 13. I think I resisted for so long because I was afraid to try to break into this "cool kids club" (read high school). I guess we never outgrow that shit.

Anyhow, When I finally joined, I found that you bastards were very welcoming; I felt accepted almost immediately. What a great group of assholes!

But over the next couple of years, the old guard seemed to fade away. I get it. Life happens and gets in the way. Seriously, I get it. Others passed away. Sadly, I get that too. The make up of members was changing. This brought a slight change in the board's personality/culture too.

I sure miss you guys and wish you were here more often, interacting, sharing, and being part of this community. I wish there wasn't the resentment that seems to exist on both sides. I hope it goes away.

What does this have to do with Drinking Man? Well, here's my take... Don hadn't posted for about 8 years. And then he showed up to announce DM3. But he didn't interact with anyone on the board, he just stuck his head in, made an announcement, and left. The active board members fund this to be offensive. I agree. It certainly wasn't an invitation from a friend; to the people who don't know him, it was just an announcement from a stranger. I'm absolutely sure you understand this.

So what do drunkards do when this type of thing happens? Well, they have fun with it.

I'm sorry that this has been so long winded. It's about much more than the meetup. And I've been stewing on it for a while now.

I really hope to see you around more often and look forward to visiting with you. Not to blow carcinogens up your asshole, but you are a legend around here. Let's have some fun. You may consider joining one of our drunkard skype sessions too. What's not to love about a virtual pub?

See you soon.
Last edited by Dear Booze on Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DRINK!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

I've never trashed a Drinking Man fest. I trash the Eagles whenever the opportunity arises. I'm working on getting trashed myself right now. Cheers.

Judge

Post by Judge »

Dear Booze wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:54 am
Judge wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:17 am
Y'all trashing on something you know nothing about...
Hey Judge, did you know that The Eagles' song "New Kid In Town" (Johnny Come Lately) was written about Bruce Springsteen? It's true.

In those mid-1970's, Bruce had kind of knocked The Eagles from their throne; things were changing. This didn't mean the Eagles were irrelevant, it just meant things were changing.

The Eagles recognized this natural shift in musical taste and stepped up their game. They went on to create some of the best songs of their career.

Oh, by the way, Springsteen maintained a high level of respect for The Eagles, particularly for their song writing skills.

Here's my point: It seems that the old guard on this here board views the "johnny come lately" crowd with contempt. At the same time, the newbies seem to resent the old-timers in the same manner. To me, this is puzzling. But I kind of get it at the same time.

I was a lurker on the board for many years. I used to read the posts from all of you. I enjoyed reading everything you all posted and admired the high level of writing skill that many of you possessed. But I didn't actually create an account until 2012 or 13. I think I resisted for so long because I was afraid to try to break into this "cool kids club" (read high school). I guess we never outgrow that shit.

Anyhow, When I finally joined, I found that you bastards were very welcoming; I felt accepted almost immediately. What a great group of assholes!

But over the next couple of years, the old guard seemed to fade away. I get it. Life happens and gets in the way. Seriously, I get it. Others passed away. Sadly, I get that too. The make up of members was changing. This brought a slight change in the board's personality/culture too.

I sure miss you guys and wish you were here more often, interacting, sharing, and being part of this community. I wish there wasn't the resentment that seems to exist on both sides. I hope it goes away.

What does this have to do with Drinking Man? Well, here's my take... Don hadn't posted for about 8 years. And then he showed up to announce DM3. But he didn't interact with anyone on the board, he just stuck his head in, made an announcement, and left. The active board members fund this to be offensive. I agree. It certainly wasn't an invitation from a friend; to the people who don't know him, it was just an announcement from a stranger. I'm absolutely sure you understand this.

So what do drunkards do when this type of thing happens? Well, they have fun with it.

I'm sorry that this has been so long winded. It's about much more than the meetup. And I've been stewing on it for a while now.

I really hope to see you around more often and look forward to visiting with you. Not to blow carcinogens up your asshole, but you are a legend around here. Let's have some fun. You may consider joining one of our drunkard skype sessions too. What's not to love about a virtual pub?

See you soon.
Like a lot of older folks, Don has had life move on. I did too, still am...not a lot of time to devote to past endevors. Needling new comers is always a thing but never much of one unless the interloper is an ass (Ript). The new culture of the board is fine, see much new stuff and a lot of that is like the old stuff. For Don, he's really trying to recreate a moment in time. He's serious about it but hell, the fuckers way older than me...but he throws a hell of a party. I used to hold throw back nights here when I was able...lots of older folks who've moved on to other parts of their lives (like a highschool reunion). Nobody expects it to be the same, just revisiting the old stairwell and realizing you get winded climbing to the third floor now.

He wasn't sure if he should post it here or just on the FB page where a lot of the folks still hang (new fangled tech and all) I told him he had nothing to lose, so he did.

You kids keep up the buildings and the grounds, the alumni will still visit from time to time. Slainte.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

scream ale wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:05 pm
I trash the Eagles whenever the opportunity arises.
Enough Lebowski, trash Led Zeppelin or The Who instead
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

oettinger wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:38 pm
scream ale wrote:
I hate all three but the Eagles are easily the shittest of the bunch.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Judge wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:05 pm

He wasn't sure if he should post it here or just on the FB page where a lot of the folks still hang (new fangled tech and all) I told him he had nothing to lose, so he did.

Your post explains a lot, thank you.
We`re not dicks per se.
When I joined, the board was on the cusp of a whole overturn, the guard changed basically.
I didn`t become a mod because I asked for it, there was no one else to do it. Espacially after Palinka passed away.
Anyway, I met a lot of oldtimers in 2013/14 and they all vanished very quickly and we build our own base with newbies.
BF and thirsty are some leftoverdrunks, Savage as well but most of the recent posters are new and we know them personally.
We bonded and often it feels like the oldtimers don`t want to interact with us which is dumb.
And in the end, it`s a small drunk-forum for drunk people and we make fun of each other all the time. Join us on skype and you`ll see.
Chreers and Prosit and drink on you old fucks
Drink!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

scream ale wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:50 pm
oettinger wrote:
scream ale wrote:
I hate all three but the Eagles are easily the shittest of the bunch.
Hate is such a strong word, Disgusts maybe? Or was that the Stones already?
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

oettinger wrote:
scream ale wrote:
Fuck the Eagles. Long live Lebowski!

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

I would love to attend, but unfortunately it's too far for me. I can't leave my business for more than a day during the ski season, granted it's not during that time, but I don't have anyone I trust to run it for more than that.

I think I met Don at Con 3, right before I had one of my episodes and had to leave. Swell guy and I'm sure it will be a hell of a time. I've been jealous I missed the last two.
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald