2008 Presidential Election

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

The Next President?

The First Woman?
8%
The First Black Man?
46%
A Democrat? Are you fucking kidding?
31%
I sure wish Dubya could be elected for a third term.
15%

Total votes: 26

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

I'm curious as to how much the Oprah-factor will affect things.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... a_flag.png

Post by waahoohah »

Personally, I think the Dubya administration has pissed off enough of the Republican base (not so much the war, but guest workers and a long, uninterrupted run of general dunmbassery), that if he endorses whoever the GOP nominates, dat guy gonna lose.
I like Obama. As for that whole experience thing, exactly how much federal experience did George W Queef have?
"Beginner's luck is only possible if you try."

-Lee Harvey Oswald

Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by **** »

Frankennietzsche Zamboni wrote:I'm curious as to how much the Oprah-factor will affect things.
i would totally vote for oprah.

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by waahoohah »

nic the chick wrote:
Frankennietzsche Zamboni wrote:I'm curious as to how much the Oprah-factor will affect things.
Whoah. That stopped me in my tracks. I had to walk around the block and think about that one for a bit.
It may be sad, it maybe doesn't say anything positive about me as a man, but I think I'd vote for Oprah, too.
Think about it. After eight years of George W Fucktard and Darth Cheney, the whole nation is ready to go running to mommy. Who could be more motherly than Oprah?

-Lee Harvey Oswald

&
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by & »

I was gonna vote for obama long before oprah gave her book recommendation. how long has it been since we had a president that was well spoken, whose policy made sense, and gave you goosebumps when they spoke??

(the answer - going on seven long years)

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by waahoohah »

& wrote:I was gonna vote for obama long before oprah gave her book recommendation. how long has it been since we had a president that was well spoken, whose policy made sense, and gave you goosebumps when they spoke??

(the answer - going on seven long years)
I was going to say since Kennedy. Clinton, while a great administrator, was a little too slimy to be a great President, and Republicans, yes, including Reagan, at least if you look at his policies, are just too heartless and evil to move many people without huge PR armies...

-Lee Harvey Oswald

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by greygoose »

Let me be clear by saying that I am playing the devil's advocate. Since this thread has taken on a tinge of 'Obamarama' for the time being I'll confine my comments to that.

Policies that make sense?

1. Right, because a potential presidential candidate would never, ever take advantage of the current political climate to advance their own goals. Reagan did it with Carter, etc. All I'm saying is that presidential hopefuls of either party will say whatever they have to, to either maintain a majority, or gain it. If you think otherwise, that's just naive.

Jaded? Sure I am.

2. Obama is no new Kennedy, as the media's portraying him to be. He doesn't come from a corrupt, influence-peddling family worth millions of dollars. I think its good that voters/lapsed-voters are taking an interest in him, though because that's good for the political process overall.

4. Should Obama get the nomination and go on to become President, I hope that he would have the wherewithal to recognize his inexperience and choose his cabinet members very carefully. A President can only go so far on charm, an inexperienced one will need to be insulated by very experienced advisors, whatever political affiliation they may have.

To the point of Dubya's inexperience (and no, I'm not defending his administration by any stretch of the grey matter because he's fucked us internationally for at least 15 years). His dad was once the President and also head of the CIA. Because of that, as well as his oil-money, he is much more experienced in how politics on the Hill as well as internationally work and how to get things done, even if it means getting your dick caught in the meat-grinder. Which he's clearly done.

I guess my point is, saying 'yeah, Obama's great and I'll vote for him!' is a little disingenuous.

State your case, specifically, on why Barak Obama deserves your vote.

Hillary? Well, I hear she's on the rag so we'll give her a pass. For now.

The GOP? I don't know why they're even trying.
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.

Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by **** »

waahoohah wrote:
nic the chick wrote:
Whoah. That stopped me in my tracks. I had to walk around the block and think about that one for a bit.
It may be sad, it maybe doesn't say anything positive about me as a man, but I think I'd vote for Oprah, too.
Think about it. After eight years of George W Fucktard and Darth Cheney, the whole nation is ready to go running to mommy. Who could be more motherly than Oprah?
oprah has managed to retain a massive empire whilst giving away billions of dollars. she drinks with her guests on network tv, and LOVES it. she has reunited darfuran child refugees with their parents after they were separated in the same week that she gives each of her guests a credit card with 1000 bones on it to give away, does a show about dogs, then shows us how to look and feel ten years younger through eating well. she threw toenail painting parties in the superdome for little girls left orphaned by katrina.
i think she's overqualified to be president.

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

Unless something dramatically shifts in this country, it's going to be Clinton. The DNC is already talking about tossing out some state's ability to send delegates to the convention, probably because Uncle Teddy has already decided he wants HRC as the nominee and not Obama. What's really sad about that is that she'll get support from people who are against a war she authorized.

The two candidates from each side worth actually voting for (gravel and dr. paul) are already black-balled by the Media. Welcome to the new American Oligarchy, soon no one will remember when there wasn't either a Bush or a Clinton in the white house.
Be safe everyone.

&
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by & »

Methfront wrote:Unless something dramatically shifts in this country, it's going to be Clinton. The DNC is already talking about tossing out some state's ability to send delegates to the convention, probably because Uncle Teddy has already decided he wants HRC as the nominee and not Obama. What's really sad about that is that she'll get support from people who are against a war she authorized.

The two candidates from each side worth actually voting for (gravel and dr. paul) are already black-balled by the Media. Welcome to the new American Oligarchy, soon no one will remember when there wasn't either a Bush or a Clinton in the white house.
wow...the bush twins and chelsea are in our future?

canada, here I come!

Kilgore Stout
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Kilgore Stout »

Arnold all the way. They just need to get rid of that pesky born in the US law. The Governator must the Presidenternator.
"Woke up in a pool of blood and with a chipped tooth." ~WPOT

Fred O'Lisby
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Fred O'Lisby »

Obama's the best realistic option I'm seeing right now.

Funny story though, I overheard some old rich white people going on about "That Mit Romney sure is sharp..." It was one of those moments when I remembered we are a red state.
Earlie Cuyler: Allow me to explain the contamination process. Pine cones go in here, party liquors comes out here and proceed to here.
[points to mouth]
Earlie Cuyler: Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

I believe in America. If my favored candidate doesn't make it in 2008, trust me I will not be moving to Canada. Such talk is weak of character. In a democratic nation you don't give up on the system every time your interests aren't served. If at first you don't succeed, try try again. The last thing we want in this country is all of the people voting the same way. The only way to achieve that end would be through intimidation.
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

Saturn
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by Saturn »

steved2112 wrote: The last thing we want in this country is all of the people voting the same way. The only way to achieve that end would be through intimidation.
Or media control + electronic "voting".

Methfront made a very good point about the real statesmen being blackballed by the media. The majority of americans aren't savvy enough to learn about the candidates that will best represent their views.
I Give Thanks For Inspiration It Guides My Mind Along The Way
A Lot Of People Get Jealous, They're Talking About Me
But That's Just 'Cause They Haven't Got A Thing To Say

Capt. Pantless
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Capt. Pantless »

which is why we're fortunate to have you around Saturn. If anything else, you can tell us what to do...