Drugs are bad mmmmkay

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Drugs are bad mmmmkay

Post by GSG »

So I was arguing with a friend who says that possession of ALL drugs should carry a minimum punishment of ten years in prison (even a bit of green) because drugs are so BAD. I'm not convinced - I can't really see a justifiable reason for punishing people for taking them so I was arguing for them all to be legalised and regulated, just like our favourite legal drugs are now. I'm well aware of the damage that drugs can do - visiting my uncle in hospital as a kid when he overdosed on smack was a fairly clear message - but should he have gone to prison for it? Nah, I don't think so. What do you think?
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: Drugs are bad mmmmkay

Post by Bur »

Sure, you can get pretty much the same stuff over the counter. Not to mention 'least here in Finland there are some cough medications that don't require anything else, than moving your ass to the meds store and getting a bottle. Chugging most of the contents of the bottle will send you trippin' rather well and is quite cheap.

Only problem is possible stommy issues, which is not something you want to deal with while trying to figure out what/where/why the walls are.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Here are two things to consider:
Cui bono? Who profits?
When buying anything, there is a chain of events that got that thing to you. In regards to drugs, there are some bad people along that chain that profit. There are many people exploited and harmed to get you those drugs, more than likely. This can also be said for many legal things, from diamonds to coffee.

What harm does the production of that substance cause?
Was that pot grown on a clear cut plot in a National Forrest? Who got the chemical burns making that coke? Again, can be said of many legal things.

Another thing: I seem to remember reading some WS Burroughs piece on the drug war in which he said that it could not be won by eliminating dealers; someone would always step in to supply and profit.

I, personally, don't care what anyone ingests, if they do it of a free will.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

that aspirin's terrible stuff. Tea? Coffee? Cigarettes? Life, they're that bad
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

Everything should be legal, but I don't think society should have to support your dumb ass if you OD. How that plays out in real life I'm not sure.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Post by Screwball »

Drugs?

I KNOW NOTHING!!!!

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Resident Asshole wrote:....I don't think society should have to support your dumb ass if you OD...
It'll be interesting to see if the strength of your conviction holds, should you ever need treatment for something alcohol related...
Oh, wait...we already know.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Palinka wrote:
Resident Asshole wrote:....I don't think society should have to support your dumb ass if you OD...
It'll be interesting to see if the strength of your conviction holds, should you ever need treatment for something alcohol related...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9tdcGmBefM
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I think that's the episode where they visit a pub to interview "beer users" in their own environment
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Screwball wrote:Drugs?

I KNOW NOTHING!!!!
Schultz!

Heheheeee

OK, drugs are not bad per se.

Big Pharma is bad.

Fuck selective illegality.
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Here is a clip from a televised debate on the subject (contributors include John Lydon).
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Absinthe
Souse
Souse

Post by Absinthe »

In regards to "hard" drugs, I'm frankly a fence-sitter. While I understand that the use of certain drugs, like opiates, carries a severe risk for the user and society at large, I also find it problematic that the prohibition of many drugs creates a powerful black market made up of individuals who will do anything -- from rape to murder to torture -- in order to get the money they want for peddling their illicit products.

That being said, I think that there are also many drugs that should (at least in the U.S.) be legalized and regulated, as opposed to locking up the individuals that use them. I am not opposed to the idea of legalizing, taxing, regulating, and creating a safe[r] environment for the use of Cannabis, LSD, GHB, psychoactive mushrooms (Amanitas and Psilocybes), khat, and a number of others. I also think that currently-legal drugs should remain legal and follow suit -- namely ones like kava, kratom, Salvia, DXM, and dagga... amid others.
"Bacchus opens the gate of the heart."
— Homer

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

legalize everything

Not for me, mind you. It's for ny brother in law.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

ドロンケン
ImageImage

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

Palinka Morningstar wrote:
Wow, it's amazing that you brought up an experience where I almost died to make fun of me. And I thought I was the asshole. By the way, I work and have health insurance, that is what paid for my hospital stay.

I can't stand when jobless morons OD on things and then the taxpayers have to pay for their stupidity. Yes, freedom should exist for everyone but when your freedom invades into my wallet there is a problem.

ps, my neurologist told me it probably had nothing to do with alcohol. It's been over a year without any seizures so I'm relatively in the clear (I can legally drive), if anyone gives a shit.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619