Drugs are bad mmmmkay

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Drugs are bad mmmmkay

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Replicant Asshole wrote:Wow, it's amazing that you brought up an experience where I almost died to make fun of me...
I wasn't "making fun" of you, just using those inconvenient things called, "facts". Another fact is that you have waited nearly three months to take offence...Why the wait? Or were you just feeling a bit tetchy at work today?
Believe it or not, I am actually glad that you are getting a clean bill of health from your Neurologist.

I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of citing a legal, but harmful and costly (in medical terms) drug over those that are considered to be unlawful (and yet have been used by almost every modern Western government as a tool; whether it be to raise money, to sedate sections of the population or for other nefarious purposes).
Addicts of any kind should receive pity and help, not opprobrium.
Let's all try to help each other (is this not the goal of most religions and the basis of modern "civilisation"?) rather than trying to create an (artificial) "us and them" mentality. Please?
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Just some light entertainment in the form of a quiz.
When Friends star Matthew Perry took on newspaper columnist Peter Hitchens in a TV debate over drugs, he delivered some positively Chandler Bing-esque putdowns. So which of these is from Newsnight, and which is from Friends? Click here to take part.
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

10 for 10.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

most drugs are boring but damn that LSD rocks
Drink!

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

oettinger wrote:most drugs are boring but damn that LSD rocks
I nearly took LSD once but decided against it because I was in strange surroundings. Not sure how I feel about it but people seem to either love it or not be bothered. Most people who claim to hate LSD have never tried it
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

The well respected writer, Alan Moore, talks about how he was exluded from school for selling drugs. Thoughts?
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Hooch Hammer
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Hooch Hammer »

I'd have to say that the consequences are completely in line with how current society would view such a transgression, if you want to call it that. Or whatever.
My thoughts are: if he was selling during school, the punishment is probably correct. Not the right place for that.
If he was selling outsideof school, well, that's up to his parents, or the local jurisdiction, or both.
Either way, I would have to venture that:
Alan got a fair punishment
It wasn't crippling to his life
He obviously has not hurt from it in the long run; in fact, he's probably benefited from it, as per his views in the link
Which has benefited others
And no one got hurt (I think)
Drugs are ok in moderation and with full education as to their effects, positives and negatives.
I'll tip my glass to that.
(Both liquor and coffee).
And have a nice cigar to boot.

Cheers,
Who knows better? Me, or a know nothing like you, who knows nothing? - Captain Hank Murphy

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

I ain't no pioneer, I just smoke what I like from what's already there.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Whether or not the drug is illegal is irrelevant, for the drug will continue to exist regardless of scarcity, social taboo or even despite a genuinely foul and deleterious nature. It is rather a matter of who's coffers are lined with the profit, be it Big Pharmaceutical or the Sinaloa Cartel, that gets lost in transition.

Individual liberty dictates that a person should have the right to ingest whatsoever they choose while only ultimately answering to themselves for possible repercussions, this without infringement upon the individual liberty of another.

After all, life is worthless without some measure of liberty. Individual or otherwise.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Verrry interesting indeed.

But with the new Kennedy "scandal" involving Ambien, and the new, more potent version of Oxy about to be released by Big Bro, what are your thoughts concerning responsibility vs. the lawyerese fine wordings of possible side-effects and unintended mis-use of such products?

IOW, if we were to truly become libertarianized ( I kid you, just being ironic, I mean, truly free to do as we will wihtout gubment control and let the repurcussions lie upon us each for our actions and intent) then would big pharma exist at all?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

When you try to commit suicide with a shitload of sleeping pills you will be taken care of like a poor victim. Get caught with a small amount of whatever kind of shit, you`ll get sentenced. My drunken brain has to figure this thought out somehow...
Drink!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Just as an anecdote you might appreciate...

I once tagged along for some prime freeloading with a successful doctor who was being taken out to dinner by a pharmaceutical rep from one of the big companies. For the sake of conversation, we'll call them Abbott Laboratories. This would have been in 1992-93 when anti-depressants were all the rage, the heyday of the Prozac Empire. The rep is a slick-haired smiling fuck in an Armani who looks like he might do freelance work on the side proofreading contracts for Satan. His silk socks are easily worth more than the clothes I'm wearing.

Dinner was ridiculously overpriced nouvelle cuisine, six courses with Bordeaux and an interlude before dessert where we dipped into the bar and set about power guzzling X.O. Cognac on the Abbott dime. Said and done with the check, the carnage came to over $2000 for five people. The rep didn't even bat an eyelash as he signed. Expense account, I suppose. And after that, he took us to a Scotch and cigar type place for another $500 worth of liquoring, all so that Dr. Juan-Xavier (yes, real first name) could feel better about writing scrips for the good, insured folk out in suburban Apathy Heights.

My point, if I have one, is that the reps and the doctors are living every bit as high roller as their counterparts in the world of illicit trade. They all holler for the dollar all the same.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Good story, Badfellow. Sadly, such "perks", along with medical conferences held in the Bahamas, near golf courses, have long been outlawed here, in the UK.
The reps do sometimes hand out free plastic ballpoints, with their company logo, though.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Badfellow nailed it. Lets go get them bastards! Perscription drugs for children without a proper diagnose, but bad bad bad when you take one as an adult
Drink!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Calling out Timothy Leary here: "He was also noted for his strong views against the use of drugs which "dull the mind" such as heroin, morphine and (aside from the occasional) alcohol"
Who is he kidding? No need to mind you people of the great creative effects of lady ethyl. Make up your own mind while opening a freshly brewed brewster. Losing my mind right now, thought he was cool...

nevermind, got a new drink and all is fine in my mind again
Drink!