"Americans" & "America"

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

"Americans" & "America"

Post by Frankennietzsche »

I recently came across a comment in a news-blog piece that stated that it was presumptive for persons in the United States of America to call themselves “Americans” because it was exclusive to other denizens of the “Americas”, and more specifically, to the indigenous persons of the two American continents. It seems that this is not necessarily a new thing.
It seems that most people from the USA call themselves “Americans.” Also, most refer to the country as “America” while those from other English-speaking countries refer to the country as “the States”, but I may be wrong about that part.
It is interesting to note that our neighbor to the immediate south is, officially, the Estado Unidos Mexicanos.

Slate Article:I’m From America. Stop Complaining, South America.

SOme rant, that I am not sure where it was going, but I am sure that it had a point, at some time.

This one is very anti-"american"

Talk amongst yourselves.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Palinka (RIP)

Re: "Americans" & "America"

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

I had a Canadian working for me, who refused to accept the term "North American" being applicable to him*.

*BTW he was a shit-head and I had to can his butt after 2 months (but that was down to general incompetence).
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

They got it all wrong. It's 'Murrica. A-fuckin-men bra
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by givemesomepils »

I guess we just call ourselves americans because it's the only country that has america in it's name and what else would we call ourselves i mean there really isn't anything that sounds as good as that that you can get from usa. and i don't feel like north americans really care as much about the continent as a but more about the specific country they are from so I don't feel like many people would call themselves north americans. I feel europe has more of idk a unity I mean they have euros the e.u. the closest to that we have here is nafta.

besides you have to specify north or south american if you want to call yourself one of those, but cmon really people are actually complaining about what people call themselves. we are in the UNITED STATES of AMERICA in NORTH AMERICA so we should have the right to call ourselves that if we so please.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." hunter s. thompson god rest his soul

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

One of those linked articles/rants has some geographical errors. There are two western hemisphere/American continents: North America & South America. Continents are delineated geologically, as far as I recollect, and is determined by the tectonic plates, not borders. Latin America is a geographic, cultural and political grouping and is defined, largely, by human whimsy. The Carribean nations are islands in that body of water. I believe that they are mostly on the North American continent.

Here's an interesting query: what of the inhabitants of certain pieces of earth in the western hemisphere that are part of countries that are not? The peoples of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon are French citizens; or are they Americans?
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Sir, you raise a very interesting proposition here, and it deserves solid consideration. I find myself in the initial warmth of a good glow from some straight gin, facing some time to type without mistakes, before the inevitable blank-out of incoherence, which is also quite enjoyable.

frankennietzsche wrote:I recently came across a comment in a news-blog piece that stated that it was presumptive for persons in the United States of America to call themselves “Americans” because it was exclusive to other denizens of the “Americas”, and more specifically, to the indigenous persons of the two American continents.
Indigenous people. That phrase refers to the folks who initially occupied a land before they were visited by others. Now, it is important to never presume to speak for all of any sort of people, so I say this, form my own, personal perspective: we did not call ourselves American until we were included under that moniker. Original Americans? First Americans? Nope.

Our name has always referred to the place that we lived. My friend, you know that name of my own Tribe by now. We have always been connected to this place that, according to our own origin story, we began to exist.

That being said, if you have been born on this continent during the time is has been known as "America" or "USA" or what have you, then you are a Native American. Again, this is my own personal perspective.

frankennietzsche wrote:One of those linked articles/rants has some geographical errors. There are two western hemisphere/American continents: North America & South America. Continents are delineated geologically, as far as I recollect, and is determined by the tectonic plates, not borders. Latin America is a geographic, cultural and political grouping and is defined, largely, by human whimsy. The Carribean nations are islands in that body of water. I believe that they are mostly on the North American continent.

Here's an interesting query: what of the inhabitants of certain pieces of earth in the western hemisphere that are part of countries that are not? The peoples of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon are French citizens; or are they Americans?

Very insightful query.

Indeed, it is the belief of my ancestors that we were here in this place before the last ice age, and we got pushed down by the glaciers at an inch per year and moved in such a slow process along with the flora and fauna and lived in the south, and then when the climate shifted, we followed it all back up again as them glaciers receded.

Mind you, with all of the ice all over the globe, the sea levels were much lower than they are today.

We had settlements along the way back north that were on this continental plate, and are now deep under the sea. yes, they are still there, buried under resultant silt from 10,000 years or so of increasing sea level change and river rebirth form the glacier-shaved mountain ranges.

The idea of geologic designation for a people to call themselves anything at all that relates to land is representative of a temporal consideration: it depends upon what year it was; how the earth appeared at that time.

You mention an archipelago (which, if memory serves) aided Americans in the fight against them Drys during the ugly, dark times of Prohibition. I think they might still be the last holdout of the French in their colonization of other lands across the globe.

If we refer to tectonic plates for our moniker designation, then we must consider Pangaea.

Are we Pangeans? Are we Penguins?

nay, I say unto thee, we are all Blues Brothers.

Now for a DRINK! to your distillationistic pursuit, you frankennietzsche you
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Amerigo Vespucci
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Username
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Username »

America? I've never heard of it.
whistling (whistling) whistling (whistling) dark (dark) dark (dark)

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

You know,

the Vikings visited us first. Erik the Red

Our own Chief Joseph Orono was a blue-eyed, blond man.

We used to welcome them Vikings and trade with them, for they were mighty, fierce warriors as well. They simply never gave us their home address.

Hmm...

Like a bar napkin written in lipstick, but the phone number has a couple XX's in it?

aww man

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:Amerigo Vespucci
I wanted to be a smartass, opened the thread and saw that there was an even bigger smartass. Tipping my hat to you sir
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Oh it is all one big shitpile... does it really mater if you're near the corn or the peanut?
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Herriman, don't lose hope. That terroristica group NotNot was invented for the sake of selling armament across the globe. Bastards, the whole lot.

And hey, the Ebola virus inhabits blood and the linings of organs that have a lot of blood in them, especially the liver.

This means that Ethyl is our antivirus prescription.

DRINK! to live.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

chilly willies wrote: DRINK! to live.
This works, I succesfully fought insanity this way
Drink!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

This is america. Comical...
Drink!

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by AntonArkydivich »

How much free time do you have on your hands to care about "America" vs "American"?

It hardly matter when we're all about to die horribly of The Ebola.
Making my own city lights out of bourbon and the stars of a barroom fight.
- Josh Ritter