The "lying flat" movement in China

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

The "lying flat" movement in China

Post by Badfellow »

This is a more recently arisen form of protest amongst Chinese millennials. Basically it means to lie flat on one’s back, or in other words do the bare minimum of what is necessary to survive. It’s a rejection of the material norm, and more importantly that of the "996" work culture prevalent in China (working 9am to 9pm, 6 days a week) as well as shitty wages/factory jobs and a system that is essentially rigged against the working class.

Here’s an article from the BBC.

Of course, this is nothing new. The western world has had it’s own version of slackers more or less since the beginning of the industrial revolution. If a person feels the system is rigged then what incentive do they have to participate? Or do they choose to take the risk and participate on their own terms?
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: The "lying flat" movement in China

Post by Nausea »

Badfellow wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:51 pm
It’s a rejection of the material norm, and more importantly that of the "996" work culture prevalent in China (working 9am to 9pm, 6 days a week) as well as shitty wages/factory jobs and a system that is essentially rigged against the working class.
Reading about that 996 schedule destroyed me.

I would sign up at the local Buddhist temple to become a monk and live off the silence and rice instead.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: The "lying flat" movement in China

Post by oettinger »

I would sign up at the local bum shelter
Drink!