A Titan Among Us Has Fallen

Where we pay homage to our honored dead.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Palinka (RIP)

Re: A Titan Among Us Has Fallen

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Dirty Lou wrote:At one of the Cons, the ladies were kind of chilling all together and a few of the guys got to sit around at the corner of the bar and chat. It may have been the Double Down in Vegas. It was cool, it was a nice break from the frenetic pace we had going. Most importantly, it was a chance to get to know each other a bit better, and I am glad I was there and had a chance to talk with Mayhem.
Me too, Lou.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Grace O'Malley
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Grace O'Malley »

According to comments on the Lollypop Farm post about Tony, It was a heart attack, just after he got off work at The Toad.
I just can't right now.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Grace O'Malley wrote:According to comments on the Lollypop Farm post about Tony, It was a heart attack, just after he got off work at The Toad.
I just can't right now.
Understood.

It isn't really important how he left us, just that we respect his memory. (I speak as a Pathologist, and Drunkardist).
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Grace O'Malley
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Grace O'Malley »

Others had asked about what happened, too. No offense intended.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Grace O'Malley wrote:Others had asked about what happened, too. No offense intended.
None taken. Professionally, I would like to see the report. Personally, I just want to mourn the passing of a friend.
How he passed is, ultimately, irrelevant. That he passed, is...
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Grace O'Malley
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Grace O'Malley »

Agreed.

treetop
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by treetop »

what a wonderful human being. looking about the interwebs between here, facebook, lollypop farm, etc., hundreds if not thousands of posts, condolences, homilies and fond stories have peen put up in just a few days. that dude was the bomb.
it's all good in the woods, nobody hears me when i scream.

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Post by Screwball »

treetop becdecorbin wrote:what a wonderful human being. looking about the interwebs between here, facebook, lollypop farm, etc., hundreds if not thousands of posts, condolences, homilies and fond stories have peen put up in just a few days. that dude was the bomb.
Agree.

Martha and I are thinking about donating to Lollypop Farm in his honor.

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

Modern Drunkard wrote:I had the extreme pleasure of drinking with Tony during the Cons and from the start it was plain that this was a human cannonball of a man--a sort of gloriously bespectacled and goateed cannonball--ever in search of the gunpowder that would send him roaring into the night and lucky for him they sell it at every liquor store in the land.

He imparted to me many gems of wisdom during the Cons, such as "I wouldn't step on your hand nearly as much if you'd get off the goddamn floor" and "You're only as generous as the next shot you buy for us right now."

Did I call him a mere cannonball? I do his memory a great dishonor. He was more akin to a barrel of top-shelf, high-proof rum jouncing down a greased and steep grade, ruthlessly and quite rightfully crushing half-steppers and milk-soppers alike. Also, the barrel is on fire.

Of course, we all knew every greased and steep grade comes to an end and someday that excellent barrel would hit the wall and expand into a glorious explosion of everything that is good and right about the drunkard spirit.

The exact details of his passing are hazy right now, but this is what I've gathered:

During a distillery tour--for reasons I'm entirely sure were well thought out--Tony relieved the guide of his duties with a well-aimed Judo chop to the throat. He then insisted the tour group climb to the top of a monstrous vat of raw spirit so they could "properly gaze into the belly of the goddamn beast." It was then that a poorly-minded child slipped and was swallowed up by that vast sea of unaged booze.

True to form (and while the rest of the group wailed and wrung their hands), Tony bravely leapt into the vat, slicing through the surface like a sleek otter that was somehow capable of breathing pure alcohol, dove to the bottom, seized the child and lifted her up into the arms of her hysterical father.

Tony then courageously fought off multiple rescue attempts by distillery workers, saying that by "the natural law of Men of Danger" the contents of the vat now legally belonged to him and besides, while at the bottom he thought he might have glimpsed other beleaguered children or perhaps a treasure trove of Nazi gold.

Hours later, after a brilliant soliloquy touching on the essential futility of human existence, ordering out twice for pizza and wings, and giving "this young and boisterous white whiskey" in which he was romping like a happy seal "four out of five stars, but with plenty of room for improvement," he finally drowned, which was odd since by then the level of the vat was roughly ankle deep.

Now I know there is already a rumor going around that, after distracting the father with a punch to the stomach, Tony shoved that child into the vat, but that sort of scurrilous nonsense is exactly what can be expected to be spewn from evil maw of the Anti-Saloon League's propaganda machine.

I wish we could have shared more rounds, you magnificent bastard. Not sure which after-hours party you were planning on attending, but try not to drink up all the booze before I get there. In the meantime, I'll raise the traditional seven to you tonight.

Dum viviumus, vivamus
Could a man ask for a finer tribute?
That's why FKR's the boss.
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

steved2112 wrote:
Modern Drunkard wrote:I had the extreme pleasure of drinking with Tony during the Cons and from the start it was plain that this was a human cannonball of a man--a sort of gloriously bespectacled and goateed cannonball--ever in search of the gunpowder that would send him roaring into the night and lucky for him they sell it at every liquor store in the land.

He imparted to me many gems of wisdom during the Cons, such as "I wouldn't step on your hand nearly as much if you'd get off the goddamn floor" and "You're only as generous as the next shot you buy for us right now."

Did I call him a mere cannonball? I do his memory a great dishonor. He was more akin to a barrel of top-shelf, high-proof rum jouncing down a greased and steep grade, ruthlessly and quite rightfully crushing half-steppers and milk-soppers alike. Also, the barrel is on fire.

Of course, we all knew every greased and steep grade comes to an end and someday that excellent barrel would hit the wall and expand into a glorious explosion of everything that is good and right about the drunkard spirit.

The exact details of his passing are hazy right now, but this is what I've gathered:

During a distillery tour--for reasons I'm entirely sure were well thought out--Tony relieved the guide of his duties with a well-aimed Judo chop to the throat. He then insisted the tour group climb to the top of a monstrous vat of raw spirit so they could "properly gaze into the belly of the goddamn beast." It was then that a poorly-minded child slipped and was swallowed up by that vast sea of unaged booze.

True to form (and while the rest of the group wailed and wrung their hands), Tony bravely leapt into the vat, slicing through the surface like a sleek otter that was somehow capable of breathing pure alcohol, dove to the bottom, seized the child and lifted her up into the arms of her hysterical father.

Tony then courageously fought off multiple rescue attempts by distillery workers, saying that by "the natural law of Men of Danger" the contents of the vat now legally belonged to him and besides, while at the bottom he thought he might have glimpsed other beleaguered children or perhaps a treasure trove of Nazi gold.

Hours later, after a brilliant soliloquy touching on the essential futility of human existence, ordering out twice for pizza and wings, and giving "this young and boisterous white whiskey" in which he was romping like a happy seal "four out of five stars, but with plenty of room for improvement," he finally drowned, which was odd since by then the level of the vat was roughly ankle deep.

Now I know there is already a rumor going around that, after distracting the father with a punch to the stomach, Tony shoved that child into the vat, but that sort of scurrilous nonsense is exactly what can be expected to be spewn from evil maw of the Anti-Saloon League's propaganda machine.

I wish we could have shared more rounds, you magnificent bastard. Not sure which after-hours party you were planning on attending, but try not to drink up all the booze before I get there. In the meantime, I'll raise the traditional seven to you tonight.

Dum viviumus, vivamus
Could a man ask for a finer tribute?
That's why FKR's the boss.

you got that right steve.
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

treetop

Post by treetop »

Screwball wrote:
treetop becdecorbin wrote:what a wonderful human being. looking about the interwebs between here, facebook, lollypop farm, etc., hundreds if not thousands of posts, condolences, homilies and fond stories have peen put up in just a few days. that dude was the bomb.
Agree.

Martha and I are thinking about donating to Lollypop Farm in his honor.
do. i'm going to. i wanted to attend the mass but i would have to leave my house at 2:30 in the morning and that i can not safely do. i'm donating instead.
it's all good in the woods, nobody hears me when i scream.

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

just found out another friend of mine died this week. fucking November. I hope you never come around again. how can the fucking world take out such good people? i'm falling apart.
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

GinMcG
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by GinMcG »

Tony and I never met face to face but he was certainly a true friend. I sent him a book on Singaporean orchids when I learned that he loved the silly plants. He sent me messages of encouragement when I was really down and out and reassured me that starting college at 33 to become a doctor was completely within my power. He and I exchanged loads of drunk dials and was on my speed dial for years. I will miss Tony-bony-head-Mayhem. That smile, his hat photos, calling me 'sugar tits' and the old school Batman tattoo. Thank you being a genuine friend, Tony.

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

Palinka, let's not- let us never forget- that Mayhem was the Maid of Honor at your wedding. Nearly every time I ever brought up your name in our conversations over the ensuing years. He would say, "You know, I was the Maid of Honor at his wedding."
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Oggar wrote:Palinka, let's not- let us never forget- that Mayhem was the Maid of Honor at your wedding. Nearly every time I ever brought up your name in our conversations over the ensuing years. He would say, "You know, I was the Maid of Honor at his wedding."
Yes he was. And "bottle girl", too.

I don't know if this is appropriate, but I'll post it and if anyone takes offence, please PM me and I'll take it down.

"Of my friend, I can only say this; of all the souls I have encountered on my travels, his was the most...Human..."
ドロンケン
ImageImage