Big Jim

Where we pay homage to our honored dead.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Big Jim

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

I was informed many months ago about a man who had passed away. I have just remembered to do the honourable thing of listing him on this forum. For I think you all knew him in one way or another. I think you all know or at least knew someone like him. His name was Big Jim. He was called Big Jim because well he was big. A fucking giant. A heavy drinker too. A good man. A wise drunk on the bar stool talking to all who entered. No subject phased him he would be welcoming with his lager in his big claw like hand talking about cricket, cars, religion and politics. He wasn’t someone who talked at you, like many barstool prophets, he was someone who talked with you. He took the time to listen to you and challenge you if he believed that what you were saying was wrong or unfair.

He drank at my local. Well, that’s not quite true. He didn’t just drink there, he practically lived there. You would pop in and see him slumbered over the bar gossiping. He made the place what it was. He was of several previous generations, perhaps a better generation. He never, at least to me, considered his drinking to define him. He drank because that’s what he did and well no one was going to say anything to challenge him on that. Despite the fact that he was the kind and caring sort he was still a fucking giant. He also had a deep intense stare made even more so threating by those Denis Healy like eyebrows.

Though he is now gone, he won’t be forgotten.

Please join me in downing a drink in his name.
Big Jim
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Big Jim

Post by Mr. Viking »

to big Jim

Though his name does make me think of Big Jilm by Ween
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Skal ta oss fassen!
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Herman wrote:...Though he is now gone, he won’t be forgotten.

Please join me in downing a drink in his name.
Big Jim
In Big Jim's name.

*CLINK*