Bad news: our friend, Veen, has passed away.

Where we pay homage to our honored dead.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

fiyah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Bad news: our friend, Veen, has passed away.

Post by fiyah »

Our friend, Veen, has passed away on Thursday, Nov 19, 2020.

He was a stalwart regular on MDM chat for many years. Hell he kept me going many times. But alas, he is no longer of this earth.

No jokes, no memes. Please just give him dignity and respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihXAXOeY97Q
22:21 Thirsty i was too drunk to be high
[13:22] <@Veen> I need to find the penis monster
[23:03] <@fabric> dont masturbate to me

Rusty_Shackleford
Booze Head
Booze Head

Re: Bad news: our friend, Veen, has passed away.

Post by Rusty_Shackleford »

He will be missed. It was always fun talking guns and booze with him.

RIP.

kravenmorhed
Tippler
Tippler

Post by kravenmorhed »

He was the best.

Fabricsoftner
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Fabricsoftner »

RIP Veen. It's been a few years since we've talked, but i'll never forgot our nights spent in drunkard chat when we were both unemployed almost 10 years ago. I'll be having a few for you tonight, buddy.
<@Riddeford> lying on the ground laughing then going to get drunk on a pier. isn't what was fabric was born to do?

<apE> if theyd spend half as much time drinking as they do bitching, itd all be good

<@Fabric> Pint: why do I feel like shit?
<%pint> Fabric: people

<@fiyah> you're unemployed and drunk, you have no standards

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

Never knew Veen, but very sad to hear about a fellow board member and drunkard pass onto the bar in the sky
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Sorry to hear that, my condolences
Drink!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Condolences for your loss, friends.
Okole maluna!

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

I never knew him but condolences nonetheless.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Fuckin' Veen man.
I loved that dude. He was my Squatty Potty buddy.
I miss him, and am dedicating this weekends drunkenness' to Veen.
RIP dude.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I heard this through Veen's buddy on the board, can't remember his tag on here Kravenmorehead maybe. Anyway we all met at the last Mass Con/ Drinking Man 2.0 or whatever it was that Slush put together. Helluva nice guy. Chatted a few drunken times of fb messenger and a bunch back when I was in chat. He'll be missed. Damn this getting old sucks. Stick around long enough you start losing more and more good folks and great drunks.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Aww bloody hell. I do not know the fella, but damn. So many of we drunks have passed on. Stinks.

RIP my brother. And all the others. Including Mr. Veen.
like tears in rain

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

RIP Veen

What was his drink of choice? I'll raise a glass of it when I next get the chance.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

shit. Didn't really know him, but I remember him. sorry the <space bar> is stuck with something again
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

never had the pleasure of meeting the fella ...but very sorry to hear of his passing

condolences to all you guys who knew him.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Veen wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:46 am
Lastnight was karaoke night. Normally I try to maintain control on these nights, just because I actually like the place and don't want to cause a bunch of trouble for us all. Apparently, when drinking on an empty stomach, this simply becomes an impossibility for me. Apparently, this place also doesn't realize that being cut off just means I'm going to get my loyal and arguably irresponsible friends to go get my drinks for me instead. You'd think the bastards would know me better than that by now.

Closing time comes and I get woken up from my nap with the bartender yelling at me. She insists I get out from under her table and get a cab. I have no money, so that's not an option. She also says she's going to follow me to the parking lot and call the cops if I even look twice at my car. I inform her there's no way in hell I'm paying for a cab, but also no way in hell I'm driving. (I may be a shameless drunkard, but I'm at least partly responsible about it!) Talking with another woman that was there, she suggested I just have my friend Joel take me back to his place until I undrunk up in the morning. I shoot the shit with her a bit, make horrible attempts at hitting on her, and she eventually politely informs us that we should leave the premises since they have to close. Yep, totally making drunken passes at the manager of the joint. Night's going GREAT!

Almost immediately after leaving the parking lot in my friend's truck he starts to vomit. So now we're doing 80mph down the freeway while my friend is spraying the steering wheel, seat, floorboard, instrument cluster, and windshield with puke. And they said it was ME that wasn't good to drive. Somehow, we finally get back to his place without dying or murdering anybody. He immediately proceeds to disrobe for no discernable reason, pisses in a plant, and crashes out in the shower with the cold water running. After I took a nap for an hour he was still entirely out of it. I just decided to say screw it and walk the 3 miles back to my car.

This normally would have been a very simple task. However, his apartment complex is one of those types that require badge access to do so much as walk down a flight of stairs. There are little green "EXIT" buttons that are supposed to let you out in case of emergency, but those weren't working. After spending 45 minutes wandering around trying to find an open door, I finally found an exit plan. The parking garage had places overlooking street level, but the doors leading to the garage were all locked. I found one hallway just below someone's balcony overlooking the swimming pool. Over the swimming pool was some sort of wood archway structure type thing, and it butted up against the parking garage. It was perfect, no way could this fail!

So like a drunken ninja, I managed to jump up onto the balcony. Taking another leap I somehow miraculously hit the archway. Another running leap over to the parking garage and I managed to lift myself up. By now I figured I had to be home free. However, since my last visit, they had installed chain link grating over the first two stories of the parking garage. And the exit gate, of course, was also fucked up and not working. Fuck.

At this point I figure if I've already been leaping around like a kung fu action star, I can totally pull another stunt and climb down the garage. I mean Hell, I was practically Jackie Chan back there! While the first two levels had the grating in place, everything else was open air. In addition to that, the side of the garage had a bunch of decorative type work on the corners, so it was only a matter of shimmying over to one of the corners and descending that. There were tons of hand and footholds. I don't think I've even seen a climbing wall that easy. I crawled out over the ledge, started over, and grabbed onto the first handhold. This handhold proceeded to break right off in my hand and I proceeded to realize that I was now two stories up, with precisely nothing holding me up at that moment.

I used to wonder why all those Wile E. Coyote cartoons had that gag where he'd run off a ledge and hover there until he looked down. I swear, that actually happens. I realized I was suddenly dead out of luck, and I even had time to contemplate that Wile E. Coyote thought. And what do I do? I look down because I am an idiot. Needless to say, I start falling. Two stories down I crater into the sidewalk next to some woman walking her dog. From the look on her face I think she damn near shit herself. I didn't even bother moving at that point. It was too much work. Besides, there's no reason you can't have a perfectly good conversation with someone while sprawled out over a nice cool sidewalk with a pitbull sniffing and drooling over you.

"Oh my god! You just fell out of that building! Are you okay?!"
"Yeah. It happens."
"It happens?! I thought you just dropped out of the sky! That doesn't 'just happen!'"
"Well it sure as Hell does today, lady. Okay?"
"Should I call an ambulance or something? I mean... can I do anything?"
"Nah, I'm cool. Unless you got a cigarette, I could totally go for one after that."
"No, I don't smoke. Sorry. Um.... take care."
"Stay safe!"

After she started nervously shuffling away, I got up and tried to walk. Everything was fine, except my left ankle really hurt to put weight on, though it was still at least somewhat functional. Probably a classic sprain. I finally just said screw it and called up another friend to get me and my car. I had done my part for the night, there's no shame in calling in reinforcements when you really need it, right?

"Hey, Veen. What's up?"
"Nick. Buddy. Long story. I got a handle of Sailor Jerry at my place if you and Greg pick me up."

So that was my night. Now I'm considering breaking out the crutches and bandages and totally cheesing free drinks from everyone tonight. Still not sure if that's a good idea or not though.

This was one of his first posts.

Dude was a goddamn savage

cheers
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'