sad movies

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Frankennietzsche, Bur, ThirstyDrunk

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

sad movies

Post by MeanOldLady »

i'm becoming increasingly fond of sad movies. back in the day, i used to watch the most horrific of films while feeling nothing. not even the slightest pang. i used to think i was tragically born without emotions, but lately i've been forcing back tears during sad scenes. what gives? million dollar baby almost killed me, particularly because it hits really close to home for me. i just watched la bamba yesterday, and holy shit, i was actively reminding myself not to cry when the radio announced richie valenz died in the plane crash. i was like, don't be a pussy, woman, you didn't even know this guy! i've seen this movie more than once and never felt the urge to cry. something is happening to me. maybe it's because these days i'm drunk 85% of the time, and inebriation intensifies any emotion i'm feeling times ten. tis why i'm typically a happy drunk, and why i don't drink when i'm down (things get nasty). i have several theories, and i don't know for certain what it is, but sad movies are killing me now.

i can't think of any further examples off the top of my head, but within the last year or so, i've found myself getting emotional during movies and while reading certain really sad books. there are no children here, by whatshisface. i forget, but it made me sad. i'm turning into a softy.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

zak
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by zak »

I almost cried during Big Daddy when Sheryl Crow's version of Sweet Child of Mine.
this post brought to you by #summerofmargaritas10 cause, yeah it's going to be that kinda of summer where mixed drinks with tequila is going to taste all types of good and stuff, this summer '10 get yourself some margaritas and holler at ya boy.

UnkleLemmy
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by UnkleLemmy »

I cry in movies all the time. The last itme was in the end of Big Fish.
I was bawlin like a girl.

But I've cried from songs before. I'm a big pussy
Savage: "Unkle Lemmy looks just like his avatar, and that is hawt. Also, he sends me a crate of bourbon every month and for this, when I die, he will inherit my castle in Savagonia, and my 72 virgins. (They are all good boys, and very hard workers.)"

Tom
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed
Location: A steady stumble usually points me in the right direction.

Post by Tom »

I got really drunk and cried during Forest Gump.

"That guy has the heart of a champion."

Not my finest moment.
Baby, your body is so beautiful I wish I was an artist so I could paint it. As it is, I'll have to settle for taking a picture with my digital camera and selling copies to middle school kids for 5 bucks a piece.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

When I was very underemployed, many years ago, I used to go to the dollar matinees. When saw I Elephant Man, this big man a couple of seats away started sobbing. I gave him some of my Kleenex. He was really broken up.

I'm not supposed to watch sad movies; that's why most of ours are comedies. I cry at things no one else does, like the end of Pi where the former genius cannot answer a math question, and does not care; or the end of Planes, Trains and Automobiles, when poor lonely John Candy gets to have Thanksgiving dinner with a family. The little boy leading Jacob up the stairs into the light at the end of Jacob's Ladder just destroys me. Joy Luck Club? Not for a while, please. At the end, when the Chinese twin sisters meet their American sister, and find out "Momma dead?"...

I'm better off with the beans around the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles, or watching Caddyshack for the 900th time.
like tears in rain

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

oh, oh, and the movie wit! it killed me! one of my professors invited us to come by outside of class and watch that movie because of the narrator's shrewd analysis of donne's poetry. everyone showed because of the free pizza. man, every. single. girl. was crying. except me. i just have this thing about not crying during movies because it makes me feel like a sissy. i fought back tears. crying during movies never become a serious problem until recently. one of my other theories is because lately i've been watching more serious movies, and less slapsticks comedies and cheesy slasher flicks. this theory still fails to hold up for a lot of reasons. can't figure it out.

dude, tom, i almost cried during forest gump too. and the lion king, lol. i was about 9 at the time.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

BuriedBlues
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by BuriedBlues »

except for a couple moments in casablanca (when they outsing the germans), glory (when denzel is beaten but all you see is his face and timothy hutton's reaction. it's intense!), and failsafe (when the russian and american generals share peronal info), i never cry during movies.

or at least i used to think that. but then i took class and inequality, and we watched a lot of documentaries...that same semester we watched on the waterfront in film class. what i got out of all this is that i am completely incapable of watching any movie relating to labor unions or class struggle without waterworks. it was especially embarassing in that soc class, since everyone else was sleeping or reading the paper. i usually had to duck out before they turned the lights on.

-Maria

devil_springs
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by devil_springs »

I almost never cry at real life tradgedy...but when a sappy comercial comes on late at night I water up good. :cry:

Amory Blaine
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Amory Blaine »

RUDY.
"Booze takes a lot of time and effort if you're going to do a good job with it."
- Raymond Carver

"What a fool belieeeeeeeves, Crib Co-quiiiiiiii..."
- The Doobie Bros.

Sixpack595
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Sixpack595 »

I only cry if I'm kicked in the balls or maced. A little when my dog died too, but don't tell anyone.
"Finally, this board was never meant to be a soap opera where people should funnel their emotions and social lives into, it was never meant to be a substitute for drinking and interacting with other drunks at bars." Modern Drunkard

-----
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by ----- »

I don't watch sad movies because I don't want to feel sad.

Sixpack595
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Sixpack595 »

Tesko wrote:I don't watch sad movies because I don't want to feel sad.
I watch them so my wretchid life seems better. There was this song I allways made them play at my local, Mary's song or Mary and me or something... "You were born in the slum and you'll never see the sun, you will die in the slum little boy" Everyone was all shocked at how down it was. I loved it.
"Finally, this board was never meant to be a soap opera where people should funnel their emotions and social lives into, it was never meant to be a substitute for drinking and interacting with other drunks at bars." Modern Drunkard

Lushlife
Banned From the Pub
Banned From the Pub

Post by Lushlife »

Okay, this is really weird. When I was a kid I used to cry watching Casper cartoons because I felt sorry for Casper when he'd inadvertantly scare people away when all he wanted was to be their friend. Obviously I must have related on some level.

Not only do I not have any interest in watching movies in which animals die, but I don't even care to watch them if the animal is in danger or harmed in any way. Basically I avoid animal movies altogether because I'm always anticipating something sad happening. I think it all began with Tomesina as a young girl, though I did like that movie.

Philadelphia killed me, being the mother of a son. I still have yet to see Million Dollar Baby and want to, but generally I don't go out of my way to see tear jerkers because I'd prefer to be humored, excited or scared by movies.

bob robertson
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by bob robertson »

saving private ryan and band of brothers choke me up a bit

luckily i still have my woobie to keep me company
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." - W. Somerset Maugham

"When you are arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing." - Anonymous

"if your dog is fat, you arent getting enough exercise". - anonymous

"Woe is fucking you...." judge

devil_springs
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by devil_springs »

If you want to hear something really sad...George Lucas just said the next Star Wars will be like "Titanic in space...a real tear jerker..." it sounds like a few fans will definately be crying...for how much George sucks now :cry:

http://darkworlds.com/ls/art_17599.html