Seeing live bands

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Lush City, peetie44

Jelmo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Seeing live bands

Post by Jelmo »

I noticed most of us here really love music, but do any of you go to see a live band every once in a while?
I started going to a lot of gigs of known and unknown bands a few years ago and now there's just nothing like it.

I've been to Dropkick Murphys (3x), Presidents Of The United States Of America, The Breeders, The Bosshoss, Reverend Horton Heat, Nashville Pussy, Flogging Molly, Triggerfinger, The Lowlands Festival and the usual AC/DC- and Johnny Cash tribute bands last year.

This year I've only had Flogging Molly, Voicst and Reel Big Fish; but PUSA, Electric Six and AC/DC are coming up in 2-3 weeks. And of course Dropkick Murhpys will be back here in the summertime. Peetie I might stop by 013 in June to see what you are playing.

Seeing The Rev play live last year is one of the coolest concerts I've ever been to. Hands down.
Still want to see John Fogerty and Tom Waits live. Missed them in 2008 and 2007.
"Don't give a damn how this turns out
Drain bottles just to scream and shout
On the run from reality
Poison helps me and go flee"

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: Seeing live bands

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

I write for a music website - Bluesbunny - and have had the privilege of attending dozens of concerts over the past couple of years.

The site is soon to cease operating, though, but i'll still manage the odd live show.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Live music shows are great.

I agree about the Rev. I've seen him quite a few times and he always ROCKS!
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Jelmo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jelmo »

Yeah I'm definitely going again if I get the chance. They're not the youngest ones anymore.
Was my first time seeing them live last year, but man the energy was there. He did his version of Folsom Prison Blues and the place just blew up.
On the run from reality

felinamojokitty
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by felinamojokitty »

not as much as i used to but speaking of cover bands..there is a FANTASTIC local AC/DC tribute band 'big balls'

click the myspace and listen to the song..the singer is bon scott reincarnated..

the guitarist wears the schoolboy outfit and is called 'fangus'

http://www.myspace.com/officialbigballs

their regular band adrenaline factor is super as well.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

The first time I saw Rev HH was when they opened for Social Distortion in 91 or 92 or so. THAT was a hell of a double bill.

I haven't been to a show in a few years; the last band I saw was The Melvins, I think. Working nights is not conducive to concert going.

Probably the best showsw that I have seen were at the Louisville Palace. I saw (different times) the Cheiftans and Johnny Cash there.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Jelmo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jelmo »

felinamojokitty wrote:not as much as i used to but speaking of cover bands..there is a FANTASTIC local AC/DC tribute band 'big balls'

click the myspace and listen to the song..the singer is bon scott reincarnated..

the guitarist wears the schoolboy outfit and is called 'fangus'

http://www.myspace.com/officialbigballs

their regular band adrenaline factor is super as well.
We have ACtion in DC. Very, very, veeeeeery good imo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21qCg0IeBhs
Going to see them real fellas 13th March.

Back in the days I went to AC/DShe's every show over here in our small country. (all-female tribute band) Too bad they've stopped touring overseas because it was always good fun. I'm a bit off the AC/DC nowadays.
On the run from reality

Rumhead
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Rumhead »

My local music seen is good stuff. I go to about 2-3 shows a week (finances permitting).
Alcohol makes us better human beings. - FKR

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

hoverdog
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by hoverdog »

I go to several shows a year but it varies. Been 3 months or so since the last one.
The last thing that anyone should ever do is feel ashamed of blacking out. You were trying to get drunk last night and, goddamnit, mission accomplished.

old crow
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by old crow »

i go see my friends bands, mostly small hardcore or punk shows around boston.

last big show i went to was At The Gates last year in worcester with toxic narcotic. sooo excited they had been my favorite metal band for years and were finally doing another tour. bunch of old grandad nips on the way down then hit the bar hard when i got in. i remember the first band going on, then nothing else. guess i blacked out then got kicked out in rapid succession. when i came to my senses i was SO PISSED for missing the whole show

mormonholocaust
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by mormonholocaust »

I've seen Monstrosity, Vital Remains, and a couple other metal bands live, as well as countless local bands (the best being "The Sperm" and "Wrong Crowd", both from KC). I know Cody C. of Ssion, and is effectively the leader of the band, and he's a pretty rad dude to have a few drinks and smokes with. Real down to earth and sarcastic.

If it's a metal show, I usually make blacking before the show begins a priority. There's nothing like waking up half deaf with fist sized bruises everywhere.

EDIT: Old Crow, Toxic Narcotic fucking rule. I envy you for seeing them live, even though it was with the horrible At the Gates headlining.
Greetings from The Humungus! The Lord Humungus! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!

FUCK TETLEY'S ENGLISH ALE

David
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by David »

Still want to see John Fogerty and Tom Waits live. Missed them in 2008 and 2007.
Please don't tell me Waits played here and I still don't know I missed him. I thought the last time he was here was in 2004.

Anyway, next up for me are Booker T. & The MG's on the 21st of this month, and then Bob Dylan next month. Haven't planned much else yet.

greygoose
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by greygoose »

We're taking my 11 year-old son to see Dropkick Murphs tomorrow night, his first show. To flip this thread a little bit, stories about your very first show?

My dad took me and my friend to see KISS in 6th grade. 'twas the tour where the stage was decked out like a huge white battle tank. Ace Frehley was so drunk/stoned, the roadies had to move him onstage and make sure he didn't fall over. I later learned that there was someone in the row behind us with a Marley-class spliff. No wonder ol' dad was so mellow that night...
why is my moral compass always pointed east? that's the direction of the nearest liquor store.

old crow
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by old crow »

i remember seeing the dropkicks at their st. patty's shows back in the day, it was awesome. i might have a good story about meeting one of the dudes in that band but i actually just took a nap on his floor and yelled drunkenly waking up his sleeping girlfriend and don't actually remember anything else right after getting booted from the paradise. i wouldn't recognize the dude if i saw him and if he recognized me he'd probably just remember me as a kind of annoying drunk asshole

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... a_flag.png

Post by waahoohah »

I go out every once in a while to a local show. I usually pass on the big gigs, though.

But not all the time. The Rev is coming to Doo-dah May 7th. I can. Not. Fucking. Wait.
"Beginner's luck is only possible if you try."

-Lee Harvey Oswald