DOTW Point/Counterpoint; or Oggar, post here

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

DOTW Point/Counterpoint; or Oggar, post here

Post by ***** »

After telepathically communicating with Oggar last night through my Evan Williams-brand antennae*, we have agreed to split DOTW and give you not one, not one with a back, but TWO Drinks of the Week, each week, until Barca resumes his duties. Or until we get bored.

So I thought that I'd share a bittersweet favorite with you all. My (now ex) blushing bride picked up a penchant for Limoncello whilst in Verona for a summer abroad program. Served straight from the freezer, it provides a quick pick-me-up-and-grab-my-tits with the syrupy tartness usually associated with $700 an hour call girls.

Upon her return to this one great big festering neon distraction, we quickly drank our way through her stock of Apple Grappa. The Limoncello sat in the back of the freezer like the girlfriend from summer camp who just wasn't that cute once you got back home. We moved on to Rum & Cokes with episodes of The A-Team to drown out the horrors of living in the barrio of central LA, and then on to Vodka Martinis.

During one stumble to the freezer for ice for the shaker, I remarked that we should drink the Limoncello. Her eyes lit up with malevolent glee, the same I would see months later as she winged a 4" potted candle at my head during one of her "episodes". Wasting no time, the grenadine was secured and Limoncello poured into Vodka. The Grenadine was dropped into the colloid concoction in such a way that it suspended, blossoming out. And thus, the Angel Heart was born.

Angel Heart

1 part Vodka, near freezing
1 part Limoncello, near freezing
1 dash grenadine

Pour Vodka and Limoncello into a chilled cocktail glass. Dribble the grenadine into the middle of the glass so that it doesn't mix but forms what in all honesty looks like a blood clot. Serve immediately and chuckle at all the poor saps out there who try to hold onto a good thing long gone.

*(Actually, I left a message on his psychic answering maching. I was drunk, so I may have got a wrong number).

Nil
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Nil »

Interesting. Limoncello was one of my ill-advised purchases on my 18th birthday, and I've never touched the stuff since. I remember swigging the stuff with friends under a railway bridge in the torrential rain and thinking what a fuckawful purchase it was for my first day of complete alcoholic freedom.
Warren Ellis wrote:Only perverts put ice in single malt Scotch.

Aarkwilde
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Aarkwilde »

We keep a bottle of limoncello in the cabinet. Too sweet for my taste, but my wife occasionally serves it in tiny glasses after a big meal when we have company over. Every adult gets one (she doesn't ask, just brings the glasses out) and it's usally well received.

Then the coffee and dessert.
SIGbooze - Since 1967