Angostura Bitters

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Drinking God's Good Scotch

Angostura Bitters

Post by ***** »

Anybody got a wangdangdoodle of a drink using this old school favorite? I like a couple of splashes into my bourbon and 7-Up. It also makes a Manhattan actually work, but then again my rye of choice is Wild Turkey.

Lifer
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Lifer »

I have a bottle of this in my cabinet and for the life of me cannot think of a single drink to use it for

in fact, i have no idea where it came from.

Perhaps it's been there since the dawn of time :shock:
Bundy wrote:"I say Rooster old bean! sally forth with another pair of pink gins for these jolly lovely gels and we'll see if they arent up for a spot of rumpy pumpy before we have to dash off and give Jerry another sound thrashing, what? Tally ho!"

Lifer
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Lifer »

Oh Christ! Where ARE my manors?

buy me a drink new guy!

And welcome. :D
Bundy wrote:"I say Rooster old bean! sally forth with another pair of pink gins for these jolly lovely gels and we'll see if they arent up for a spot of rumpy pumpy before we have to dash off and give Jerry another sound thrashing, what? Tally ho!"

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

Bitters is the good speaker wire of alcohol. You get along just fine without it but once you've had it, it's hard to do with out.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Gin McGuinness »

Oggar wrote:Bitters is the good speaker wire of alcohol. You get along just fine without it but once you've had it, it's hard to do with out.
I was thinking more on the lines of Tabasco, it has to go on everyone once you've tried it, but I can dig "good speaker wire."

We use it in all kinds of things. Just a dash makes soups, stews, 7UP, Ginger Beer/Ale, G&Ts, lemonade, bourbon & soda, gravies & whatever else you can think of, better.
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound

massivedrunk

Post by massivedrunk »

Ernest code hemmingway, its a Gin and Tonnix with a few dashes of angostura.
Still just figuring it all out. Still not really figuring it out.

Tipsy McStagger
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Tipsy McStagger »

Make yourself an Old Fashioned. Some people put them in their Manhattans.

Or save them for when you have hiccups:

lemon wedge, sugar, bitters, eat, bye-bye hiccups.

Paralepsis
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Paralepsis »

a shot in soda cures hearburn before you can put the glass down

The Lush
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Lush »

At British Student Unions, a popular drink is the pathetically named 'Long Vodka':

Bitters
Vodka
Lime
Lemonade (7-up or Sprite being acceptable alternatives)

I always used to have one of these on standby if we were drinking cheap tequilla, as I can't bear the fratboy lemon and salt rigmoroll.
"If moderation is the key to the door then indulgence is the fucking chainsaw" One of the greatest men to ever live.

Blackneto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Blackneto »

I throw the bitters in when i'm out of mixers and i'm not drunk enough to drink anything straight.

Quantum Time Theories apply here.
it's all chaff, a striving after the wind.

Thu Jones
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Thu Jones »

On occasion I like to toss a few splashes of bitters in a scotch & soda.

CannonBall
Souse
Souse

Post by CannonBall »

as per this thread, I have recently added these bitters to my manhattans that I love so dearly. I agree with the tobasco statement, I will now put these (it) on my eggs in place of tobasco, wait...did I miss something?

That said are (is) bitters singular? I don't get it. Thank you all!
-Nate

Tipsy McStagger
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Tipsy McStagger »

CannonBall wrote:as per this thread, I have recently added these bitters to my manhattans that I love so dearly. I agree with the tobasco statement, I will now put these (it) on my eggs in place of tobasco, wait...did I miss something?

That said are (is) bitters singular? I don't get it. Thank you all!
-Nate
Bitters cannot be singular since we are talking about more than one of the substance in question. Ergo, plural.

Spicy McSangre Jig
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Spicy McSangre Jig »

Gin McGuinness wrote:
Oggar wrote:Bitters is the good speaker wire of alcohol. You get along just fine without it but once you've had it, it's hard to do with out.
I was thinking more on the lines of <b>Tabasco, it has to go on everyone once you've tried it</b>, but I can dig "good speaker wire."

We use it in all kinds of things. Just a dash makes soups, stews, 7UP, Ginger Beer/Ale, G&Ts, lemonade, bourbon & soda, gravies & whatever else you can think of, better.
Tobasco has to go on everyone?! Thanks, but no thanks, doll. That could really sting some of the more sensitive bits and pieces!
Drink, laugh, love, repeat.."
-Bella

"Bourbon would slaughter vodka in a cock fight."
-MOL

"Mmm, Po'k and Ho's."
-UnkleLemmy

Thanks for the ideas

Post by ***** »

Lifer--You're on. Come to Hollywood and I'll get you ripped at my favorite Skid Row bar. They may even take your worthless Canadian money for the cab ride home, but let's not push it.

Sangre--Actually, a bj from someone that just ate a couple of jalapenos or some hot sauce is pretty darn tinglely in a good way. Well, at least it was for me. But keep it away from your peehole. :oops:

Gah, I just used an emoticon. I promised myself I wouldn't ever do that. Time for a drink to erase that memory...