Homebrew Alcohol

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

popcorn
Tippler
Tippler

Homebrew Alcohol

Post by popcorn »

Hi, I'm new here. Just wondering if you've any easy made home brews to be made. Spirit or Beer or Cider, I don't give a fuck lol

Thanking you

Jollyroger1210
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Location: Halfway between Yuengling and the Whiskey Rebellion

Re: Homebrew Alcohol

Post by Jollyroger1210 »

Literally almost everyone on here makes/has made their own hooch of some sort. Homebrewing beer is pretty easy, but not super worth it from a price perspective, as even the cheapest brews are usually still about 50 cents a pour. However, upping that cost minimally, hell, even doubling it, will get you a fantastic beer for much less than you can buy in a store. Wine and mead are also popular, but I've no experience with them personally. Spirits require a still, and are thus complex, an possibly illegal.
"I only drink on days that start with a T; Tuesday, Thursday, today, and tomorrow."

popcorn
Tippler
Tippler

Post by popcorn »

I've been looking at maybe making a small still with a hot plate which can be bought for about a 15 pound (I'm in the UK) and a saucepan with a food thermometer and some copper brake hose running into some sort of cooling unit and then into my demijohns. I just don't know much about making a mash. Most mash recipies are american and I don't have access to the things they have, I'm not really interested in potato mash, I don't think it would be great from what I've heard

Jollyroger1210
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Location: Halfway between Yuengling and the Whiskey Rebellion

Post by Jollyroger1210 »

Mash recipe:

Sugar
Water
Yeast
"I only drink on days that start with a T; Tuesday, Thursday, today, and tomorrow."

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Best run I've done so far has been with about 4 tins of treacle in a gallon of water, added yeast and left for about 3 months before distilling. Need to do a second distillation on it, but it seems pretty good so far. I find for homebrewing that cider is the easiest to make, just put apple juice in a fizzy drinks bottle with yest, and leave the top slightly unscrewed. Pour it off the yeast when it stops bubbling. Get a palatable cider at about 6%abv from about 70p a litre
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

you know who popcorn was, right?
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

popcorn
Tippler
Tippler

Post by popcorn »

Yup, I want to be hi sir lol

All these recipes are good folks but do you have any measurements? lol

I have brewers yeast, demi johns and brand new bungs with the airlocks. I'll maybe try a gallon of cider if you know how much yeast I use. I've heard 5g of yeast a litre before, would that be right?

popcorn
Tippler
Tippler

Post by popcorn »

Sugar, yeast and water only needs a few days sitting? That is basic moonshine? Run it through twice to get the good stuff? lol

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I don't really do measurements, but about a tablespoon of yeast per demijohn (Assuming they hold 1 gallon) should do. In theory any amount of yeast would do, as it reproduces, but if you don't add enough other organisms could take over. Buy a hydrometer to measure the density of your mash. This will tell you roughly how much sugar there is, and what strength you will get. Make sure and sterilise all your equipment before you use it, because bacteria and fungi grow in the same conditions as yeast, and can ruin your brew.
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

popcorn wrote:Sugar, yeast and water only needs a few days sitting? That is basic moonshine? Run it through twice to get the good stuff? lol
depends on how much sugar, but it shouldn't take more than a week. join the homedistiller forum to find out more about distilling. They can show you designs for a still and such, and tell you how to make cuts so your whiskey doesn't taste shit

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

It's kind of easy.I like to make blackberries brandy.

zimne_piwo
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by zimne_piwo »