A Very Bloody Mary

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: A Very Bloody Mary

Post by mistah willies »

^ ^ ^

Fresh, hot maple syrup poured across the snow and rolled on a twig was our Injun treat

Damn.

Memmories

Need to figure out how to make rum out of maple, form them buckets on the tree

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

mistah willies wrote:^ ^ ^

Fresh, hot maple syrup poured across the snow and rolled on a twig was our Injun treat

Damn.

Memmories

Need to figure out how to make rum out of maple, form them buckets on the tree
Tis the season! A long, laborious process of cooking down the sap is a great excuse to hang out and drink while pretending to be accomplishing something so the wives aren't pissed off while we get pissed. I haven't done this for a few years, but a Yooper friend and his family make a great long weekend of it, and the thought of distilling the sugar from maple into booze has been discussed at length. Gotta search the intertubes for info...

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Smatter Noguts wrote:Andy indeed brought the Everclear. Who says you can't get a hangover on the clear stuff?

Anyway, this weekend's little experiment involves a trip to the ocean, where all life began:

Vodka
Clamato
1 level teaspoon each of
Anchovy paste
Fish sauce
Lemon juice
Tomato paste
Horseradish sauce, a really hot kind

Mashed together until liquid, ice added at the end, till the glass is nearly full. Then, topped with a Blue Point Oyster!

Eager to get started, but not on top of the EC/5 buck chuck I'm observing Good Friday with.
That actually sounds good. I have a name for it but it's a tad rude. PM me for the answer.

*Edit- The name would also make the drink nearly unmarketable.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Smatter Noguts wrote:Tis the season! A long, laborious process of cooking down the sap is a great excuse to hang out and drink while pretending to be accomplishing something so the wives aren't pissed off while we get pissed.
"Something about a man sitting on the couch doing nothing, will drive his woman nuts." ---Billy Gardell

But hey, my Lady makes me a better man. Against my will. Gobless em

Smatter Noguts wrote:I haven't done this for a few years, but a Yooper friend and his family make a great long weekend of it, and the thought of distilling the sugar from maple into booze has been discussed at length. Gotta search the intertubes for info...
If you find something out, let a brother know. Too busy sipping gin, trying to catch up with you Drunkards on this fine day

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

A teaspoon of simple syrup.

Tried this a trout camp, the theory is that you are trying to reach the four corners of taste to the extreme, a different experience in every sip. Sweet, sour, whatever the fuck the two others are but the point being that this is a 90 degree angle on drinking and food, a land of it's own, a remedy and food, a hope going forward, etc.

I was so hammered over the last 48 that vodka and zing zang was all I could manage this morning going forth, and am still searching, searching...

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

mistah willies wrote:Need to figure out how to make rum out of maple, form them buckets on the tree
don't boil it down. Collect the raw sap in pop bottles and add bakers yeast (or brewers' yeast if you happen to have it) sealing the tops with ballons. When it stops frothing you have your mash which can be distilled using the usual process. In my opinion rum is best made using two runs through a pot still. If it is to be aged, char blocks of oak or other non toxic hardwood using a blowtorch. Add these to the liquor in jars. Ageing will be quicker than commercial because of the larger surface area. Add spices at this point also, if you want spiced rum. It is also common to backsweeten your rum with mollases, or maple syrup in this case
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Meanwhile, back at the Bloody kitchen this morning,

2 jiggars Absolute Peppar
2 tblspn Tomato paste
1 tlspn each Milano dill sauce, horseradish
2 shakes worchester, lime juice, frank's hot sauce
dill pickle
garlic salt and ground black mixed New Orleans peppers (cheap throwaway grinder)

Working my way up to a really hot recipe

Need this today. Too many kinds of drink yesterday...

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Grilled Bloody!

Pickle spear (thin sliced) small non-leafy heart of Romaine, 1/4" square x 5" flank steak slice.

Marinate these in italian dressing, throw on a hot grill, briefly, add to the normal ingrediants, in this case Clamato and Milano dill sauce and Absolute.

I know, this is getting to be like a cooking thread but we had these this noon and they kicked ass.

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Smatter Noguts wrote:Grilled Bloody!

Pickle spear (thin sliced) small non-leafy heart of Romaine, 1/4" square x 5" flank steak slice.

Marinate these in italian dressing, throw on a hot grill, briefly, add to the normal ingrediants, in this case Clamato and Milano dill sauce and Absolute.

I know, this is getting to be like a cooking thread but we had these this noon and they kicked ass.
If nothing else, this recipe qualifies 100% in the Astonishing category. Well done. Where did you get this idea, may I ask?
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

I compete with my brother in law in the amateur BM trade, and after having grilled hearts of romaine at a resturant a while back and enjoying it thought I'd throw stuff in with the flank steak I was making anyway. Pickles, well...

Balance of the four corners of taste is important I think, and complexity, so that every sip brings something new. Texture as well, I seem to be liking a more gravy-like mixture lately.

Bloodys are a special thing just to the left of cocktails, just to the right of hangover cures, and close to a liquid salad. The making of it is the fun.

He's promising something special Memorial Day, we'll see.

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Smatter Noguts wrote:Bloodys are a special thing just to the left of cocktails, just to the right of hangover cures, and close to a liquid salad. The making of it is the fun.
Yes indeed, and adding actual grilled steak one-ups the usual modifier of beef bouillon. Did you eat the steak first, or leave it in until the end?

It'll be interesting to see what your bro in law comes up with to try to top that.

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

As long as it isn't this monstrocity from Surreal's backyard, I'll go with it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/schopie1/3747338937/

I think he's headed for a Bennett's seafood cocktail sauce based thang, he's on a horseradish jag lately.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Love smoked fish. Maybe not in my Bloody though.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Patchez wrote:Love smoked fish. Maybe not in my Bloody though.
Same here, and same here.

Wonder how much flavor it actually adds, having the skin on and all.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Smatter Noguts wrote:Grilled Bloody!

Quite the contrary, this is a beautiful concept: the literal synthesis of food & drink. A grilled piece of flank steak? That's tasty bold frontier material, right up there with pouring an extra spicy Bloody over the scrambled eggs. Grilled meats open up a whole new avenue of "garnish" more fit to be entitled a "meal", and adds a whole new facet to the phrase "drinking your dinner". Damn good idea, NoGuts. I'd dare do a Bloody in a tall schooner with a grilled lamb kabob, onions and garlic, a little miso paste in the tomato juice, extra vodka.

On a somewhat related note, Smirnoff Vodka promoted a recipe back in the early 60's around the same time as the Screwdriver and the Moscow Mule, but this one was called a "Bull Shot" and was essentially vodka flavored with beef bullion. Certainly a savory drink. It's also reputed to be a hangover remedy.

Screwball's smoked fish pic is a classic. Hells yes, I'd give it a drink.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ