An Astonishing Old Drink Recipe

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Palinka (RIP)

An Astonishing Old Drink Recipe

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

This is an authentic Tudor recipe, taken from "The Good Huswifes Handmaide for the Kitchin" (sic), and though it calls for ale; (hard) cider, rum, brandy or Bourbon (or Irish whiskey) also work well. (N.B. here is a useful metric conversion website).

Ingredients

1,500ml of good-quality ale or cider (or 1,000ml of good quality ale and 500ml of rum, brandy or Bourbon (or Irish whiskey))
0.25tsp ground ginger
0.5tsp ground cloves
0.5tsp ground nutmeg
200g demerara (or other natural brown sugar)
5 egg yolks
100g unsalted butter (cut into small lumps)

Recipe

Pour the ale or cider (or ale and liquor mixture) into a large saucepan and stir in the ginger, cloves and nutmeg, and heat - but do not allow it to boil or most of the alcohol will evaporate.
Wait until the mixture clears.
Whilst the mixture is heating, whisk the egg yolks and brown sugar in a bowl until the mixture is light and creamy.
Remove the ale or cider (or ale and liquor) from the heat, add the egg yolk and sugar mixture and stir until all the ingredients are well blended.
Return the pan to a low heat and stir gently until the mixture begins to thicken, taking care not to overheat.
Add the chopped, unsalted butter and continue heating and stirring, until the butter has melted.
Remove the pan from the heat and hand-whisk the liquid until it becomes frothy.
Return to the low heat for 10 minutes, then allow the mixture to cool.
Give the mixture another whisk and pour it into a jug or tankards and serve whilst still warm.

For any Board members that are still suffering from cold bouts, this makes a delicious treat.

Experiment with smaller amounts, if you want to ensure you've got the recipe nailed before serving it to others. Otherwise, just go for it; it's a pretty straight-forward recipe and should only take 20 - 25 minutes to prepare.

Enjoy.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: An Astonishing Old Drink Recipe

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Authenticity would preclude the distilled ingredients, but I'll certainly give it a try with ale.

There's a simple colonial era wintertime toddy which involves heating brown ale, using the smallest pinch of ginger possible, and then putting a very cold dollup of Amish butter on top.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Smatter Noguts wrote:Authenticity would preclude the distilled ingredients....
Not at all, old chum. A history of distillation shows that the distilled ingredients were most certainly available during the Tudor era (which is considered to start with Henry VII seizing the Crown, after the Battle of Bosworth Field, on the 22nd of August 1485, until the death of Elizabeth I, on the 24th March 1603).
In fact, it is well documented that Henry II (r.25th of October 1154, died 6th July 1189) served "Brandywine", an old (but stilled distilled) form of Brandy, to his favourites and courtiers.
So, given that "The Good Huswifes Handmaide for the Kitchen" was published in 1588, the spirits (or liquors) mentioned (with the probable exception of Bourbon) would have been readily available (to those with a good income, anyway). So try the recipe with the distilled ingredients with no fear of creating some sort of alcohol-based time paradox.
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Though an aclcohol based time paradox would be an exciting and intriguing thing to attempt. I think I will put that on my "to do/drink" list for the May festivities in Mass.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Patchez wrote:Though an aclcohol based time paradox would be an exciting and intriguing thing to attempt...
Careful, you would want to get a visit from the Department of Temporal Investigations.
Patchez wrote:...I think I will put that on my "to do/drink" list for the May festivities in Mass.
If you do try one (or more) version(s) of this drink (which I neglected to mention is called, "Buttered Beere" or "Cremed Toddie" - depending whether spirits are used or not - according to "The Goode Huswifes Handmaide for the Kitchin"), please do post a review (of any version tried).

Talking of which, we really should have a review thread. I will set one up, in this Forum, in the Announcements section.

So pleass post any drink reviews there.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

I came as close as I could on short rations and have to say it tasted like eggnog.