Dry Martinis

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Dry Martinis

Post by Casual Binger »

I just read that story in the archives section of the magazine about the guy who makes a dry martini by pouring vermouth into a shaker filled with ice, letting it sit for half a minute, then pouring it out. What a load a shit. Thats not a martini. Its a shot of vodka with a couple of olives in it. I hate people who insist that a really dry martini is some kind of orgasmic experience. Its not even a cocktail. Its a joke. A ridiculous emperors new clothes prank that never died.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Dry Martinis

Post by Patchez »

It's all in what ou like. You drink it your way, he'll drink it his, and she'll drink it hers.

I do agree with the whole insisting that one way is the "only" proper way. Kiss my ass. I like what I like.

Mine, by the way, is 1 part sweet vermouth, 1 part dry vermouth and 1 part gin. The "perfect" martini it's called in some bartender's guides. I like it and it seems to bridge the gap between the original and the modern versions of the martini.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

It varies from guide to guide but in general, when speaking of "perfect" martinis it simply means equal parts sweet and dry vermouth, regardless of the ratio of vermouth to liquor.

I had a gin martini in Caesar's Palace Saturday night and the wedding planners really spared no expense which was nice. I watched several "vodka martinis" go to waste at one the tables, then a ridiculous blonde came up to me and said we should do shots. She did a lemon drop which was half lemonade. I asked for a Beefeater martini and the good bartender asked me if I wanted it dirty like the "vodka martinis" she had been making. I replied no, just a dash of dry vermouth and 2 olives would be great. I think she put at most 1/4 oz. of dry vermouth in, stirred it (no shaking) and remarked to me that it smelled great.

I agreed, went and sat down and told my wife and the blonde that what was in my hand was a real shot, although made to be sipped.

Oh, and that reminds me of drinking $1 martinis with FKR in Denver. They may have been cheap and poorly constructed, but they were definitely strong. I did sadly drink vodka then as I can handle rotgut vodka but not rotgut gin.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Nothing wrong with doing shots of straight vodka, or vodka infused with a hint of whatever - be it vermouth from an eyedropper or citrus that came in the bottle. Nothing wrong with drinking creme de menthe if thats your thing. What annoys me is guys (its always guys) who insist that "actually that whole james bond line is a joke because all proper martinis are made with vodka & shaken & if you use more than a fraction of a percentage of vermouth you'll ruin it & i just send them back if the bartender doesnt know what theyre doing blah blah blah..." As if doing what is essentially a shot of vodka is like drinking 100 year old scotch because they're sooooo sophisticated & only big boys drink dry martinis. Tossers.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Interesting consideration...

Yes, each gin maker has their own recipe, as well as anyone who takes the heart of hearts and then puts it into an old sherry cask, or burnt barrel, or otherwise infuses flavor into the raw spirit, like rum with molasses and such, or vodka with lemon zest, or put a shit load of sugar and menthol in it McGillicuddy style, or cinnamon, etc.

Then what do folks do?

Then they add their own stuff to it, and shake it or stir it, light a sugar cube and recite poetry, or what have you.

Here's my take on it: If it tastes good to you, try to remember how you mixed that drink so you can do it again. Recipes in bar guides are starting places, jumping off points for experimentation. But like any proper language, them guides are a meeting place of familiar mixed drinks that folks can agree on what to call each one.

Yeah, frig the snob or the expert on something as fun as drinking. just fucking drink!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Casual Binger wrote:What annoys me is guys (its always guys) who insist that "actually that whole james bond line is a joke because all proper martinis are made with vodka & shaken & if you use more than a fraction of a percentage of vermouth you'll ruin it & i just send them back if the bartender doesnt know what theyre doing blah blah blah..."
I hear you, even our spit would be a waste of liquid in their stupid faces. As willies said, mix what fits you, mix another one and thats called the greatest thing o' the night
Drink!