Tonight's Martini

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

rivuxgamma
Booze Head
Booze Head

Re: Tonight's Martini

Post by rivuxgamma »

I've always been partial to habanero stuffed olives in a martini. Kinda hard to find 'em around here though.

Occasionally I get a hankering for something horrifying though. I'm thinking of getting a Malörtini tasting together sometime.
I'll fill this out when I'm smarter

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Casual Binger wrote:A friend at work warned that 50:50 might be too much vermouth. I tried a half nip of straight gin followed by the same of vermouth chased with an olive. I thought the vermouth tasted better straight than the gin but When you put them together in the same quantities it was too sweet for me & I couldn't drink it without grimacing. It appears twice as much gin as vermouth is about right for me. The olive is still the best part, but I had a room temp martini in the shower, this morning & it was perfectly acceptable. There's not much oilwith these olives, but there are whole cloves of garlic in there. Tonight I'm going to chuck what's left in the pottle in my drink with lots of ice & fill the tumbler to the brim.

That there is how it is done, you Drunkardology scientist Casual Binger. Find what you like, and share it with the rest of us.

I think this is the first time that I have ever heard of a Shower Martini.

This is your invention.

Damned fine, young researcher!

It calls for peer-review. Yup

Dale
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Dale »

Cold Gin and an olive make a great Martini.
"What doesn't kill you makes you ... stranger."

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Hey my avatar x man was that a crap movie never finished it x seems to have turned into some stretchy beers. What happened to my handsome visage?

I'm afraid i tipped out the last half my bottle vermouth cause taking too much room in fridge. Not decision taken lightly i left next to recycling for two days but finished bottle gin n wasn't ready for more martinis just now. Its still

Ok forgot what was saying n ipad Pain in arse so signing out

I mean serious
Y fuck apple

Im not angry just disappointed
People queue for this shit?

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

I've come to the conclusion that it's the new IOS8 that is the cause of this ipads problems. It didnt used to suck so much. Now the keyboard keeps disappearing, i have to tap links multiple times for them to work, I can't view mail.com properly n it keeps signing me out of sites. Bah. At least it was a gift. If id paid for an apple product I'd feel like a real loser.

What i was going to say before i became frustated was that after my trip to NZ next month I'm gunna buy myself a bottle of that noily prat stuff. Since you use so little of it at a time you may as well get the good stuff, plus a 700ml bottle will fit in the fridge better than a one litre. I'll pick up a bottle of duty free gin too. Any recommendations? I tried one called ophir on friday. Nice n peppery but $63 a bottle is way too steep.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Casual Binger wrote:...I'm gunna buy myself a bottle of that noily prat stuff...
Noilly Prat is quite simply the best vermouth on the market. It has a wonderful dry and smoky flavour. Use it for your regular martinis or the offbeat one's (such as, The Gibson, where on uses small "silverskin" (pickled) onions instead of olives), use it when you you make martinis with your own olives (buy some pitted olives (or and olive pitter) and stuff the olives with roast garlic, smoked anchovies (or smoked salmon or whitebait (fish) or mackerel - smoked or deep fried ), beets (pickled or freshly boiled), pickled walnuts, pickled mushrooms, flash fried (or grilled) slices of citrus fruit, egg yolk, even smoked ham hock (or bacon or anything else that tickles your taste buds - one of the best martinis I have had, was made with olives stuffed with KFC skin).

Pour a small amount of the pickling fluid, if you want your want your martini dirty. Shake or stir the mixture* (with a good sized amount of the gin of your choice)

Image*

and pour, into a proper martini glass^, and enjoy

Image+

*Always use the kind of shaker that both strains the cocktail and allows you to take a sips, every now and then.
+Always use a "proper martini glass and add you extras (olives, onions pickles etc) after pouring the cocktail from the shaker.

Oh...and Click Here for some interesting variants on the martini, which you may find useful.
Cheers,
P.
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Everything about the Martini looks like true class.

From the shaker to the up glass that was invented for this cocktail, it is simply nonpareil.

Remember, a true cocktail must have at least three liquid ingredients in it.

Hey, I don't make the rules, I just drink 'em.

Show some love to the vermouth, which is French for "her mouth."

Just sayin'

hossthomas
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by hossthomas »

This has inspired me to do some experimenting. I'm not overly fond of vermouth, though if memory serves I've only had the dry. And I cannot tolerate the taste of olives. But I love gin and those little cocktail onions, maybe I can find my own bizarre sort of martini.
into each life a little stroh's must fall - surreal

i told my landlord and all the other tenants they could fuck off if they don't like hank- hellbound glory

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I'm not a big fan of olives, but I do like plenty of dirty in my martini, Work that one out. Probably because I love vinegar. Especially good if there is a larger vermouth proportion, balancing sweet and salty. For dry martinis angostora bitters and make it a pink one.
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Lush City had recommended that Tito's Vodka, in a nother thread a coupla weeks ago.

It is very good. Hand made, like a lot of exciting things, but also, them Injun chicks maade Dirty Martinis with it and the green bottle of vermotuh vermotuh vermouth

yes

thats it.

nice work there Lush City