Gin and Coke

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

WalmartTankard
Tippler
Tippler

Gin and Coke

Post by WalmartTankard »

It's not a popular recipe, not even new but I find it to be the mix I drink most by far. Seagram's Extra Dry Gin is the cheapest booze I can get around here @ ~20$USD per 1.75L bottle and I happen to think it is absolutely disgusting but I have found, through trial and error, that Coca Cola is the best thing to mix it with in order to diminish the turpentine-like flavor. Some people might consider this borderline blasphemous but I hate the taste of it straight. SOCO is the only liquor I have ever drunk straight and not near-gagged. This gin is horrible but the taste of Coke is so strong it masks most of the flavor and makes it perfect to drink for getting hammered, which is pretty much the state I am in now.

It's probably 2 parts Coke to 1 part Gin but at this point, who the hell is counting? The only alcoholic drink I've ever consumed for the sheer pleasure of taste is Yuengling Tradional Lager and this Gin is moreso akin to gasoline but it gets me where I want to be so bottoms up!

TL;DR - Coke + Gin = drunk - yucky flavor

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Gin and Coke

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

It sounds like you have a shit-ton of experimenting to do. I suggest that you study the various suggestions, recipes and mixes that have been posted on this Board or on our parent website, until you find something that you like.

Of course, if push comes to shove and you cannot find anything that suits your palate, then I recommend that you start a thread (listing your favourite flavours) and ask the Members of this Board to recommend a drink or cocktail for you.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

WalmartTankard wrote:It's not a popular recipe, not even new but I find it to be the mix I drink most by far. Seagram's Extra Dry Gin is the cheapest booze I can get around here @ ~20$USD per 1.75L bottle and I happen to think it is absolutely disgusting but I have found, through trial and error, that Coca Cola is the best thing to mix it with in order to diminish the turpentine-like flavor. Some people might consider this borderline blasphemous but I hate the taste of it straight. SOCO is the only liquor I have ever drunk straight and not near-gagged. This gin is horrible but the taste of Coke is so strong it masks most of the flavor and makes it perfect to drink for getting hammered, which is pretty much the state I am in now.

It's probably 2 parts Coke to 1 part Gin but at this point, who the hell is counting? The only alcoholic drink I've ever consumed for the sheer pleasure of taste is Yuengling Tradional Lager and this Gin is moreso akin to gasoline but it gets me where I want to be so bottoms up!

TL;DR - Coke + Gin = drunk - yucky flavor
Been a gin drinker (gin and tonic, mostly) for 40yrs-plus and, though it's not my favorite, I've never noticed Seagram's Extra Dry to have a particularly off-putting taste. Perhaps you should switch to an inexpensive vodka, as it's quite easy to mask the flavor of even the cheapest rot-gut example.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

You don't think that he means the "other sort" of Coke, do you?
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

WalmartTankard
Tippler
Tippler

Post by WalmartTankard »

I've tried Gin and 7-up, gin and Sprite, Gin and orange soda (yech!) so out of desperation I tried Coca Cola and voila! I get most of the coke flavor and some of the alcohol flavor without feeling like I'm drinking something that was refined from crude oil. I like Captain Morgan but it's pricier and you get less of it. I did look at some of the Vodka at our local boozery and it's not much cheaper than the Gin if at all so, for lack of a better explanation, I stick with what I know. Money's hard to come by so when it comes to alcohol cheap is the name of the game or I'd get myself a big ass bottle of that 100 proof Cap'n Morgan.

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

hmmm...I think that seagrams gin on the rocks is not so bad, however, new Amsterdam gin is fairly cheap and is a huge step up from seagrams. I would suggest you give that a try. As for gin, I usually drink it on the rocks or with club soda (gin ricky). If anything, a squeeze of lime will will complement and make cheap gin taste a little better, plus it goes with most mixers....
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Hmmm...

Makes me think. I wonder if there is a tincture out there that you can add to vodka to make it into gin?

Citrus peel, juniper, of course, and all the other stuff.

I will look this up. If it doesn't exist, I will make it.

Couple of drops in a glass of voddie...

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Seagram's is my go to gin, because, as you mentioned, it's hella cheap. My first time was purchased, and immediately filled my giant hip flask for a night out with some buddies while not exactly of a legal status, as a just in case the bar didn't serve me. I got served pitchers, while swigging when nobody was looking, and chugged it in my parents' driveway after I got dropped off. Seagram's is great. I did have an affinity for all things liquor at the time, though, so to me it was good on the palate. Sounds like OP needs to experiment more, as others have said.

Also, he mentioned several sodas. How have you not tried gin and tonic, THE quintessential gin mixed drink? I'm not going to bother posting the recipe (it's self-explanatory...) but DO make sure you get the limes, wedge them properly, and squeeze some of the juice in.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

Nightclub Jitters
Souse
Souse

Post by Nightclub Jitters »

I have a feeling that F. Scott Fitzgerald used to drink this combination a lot, considering his well-known love of both gin and Pepsi.
Jerry Horne: "Sweetheart, I'd like to order two drinks: one double scotch on the rocks, and my brother would like a double scotch on the rocks."

Waitress at One Eyed Jacks: "...That's two double scotch on the rocks?"

Jerry Horne: "Next stop, rocket science."