Hockey!

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bur, ThirstyDrunk, Hardcore Stig

Labatt_50
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Hockey!

Post by Labatt_50 »

First OHL game of the season on right now, NHL is back in a couple of weeks, it can't get any better. Knocking back a lot of Blue tonight.

tomodon
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Hockey!

Post by tomodon »

The Canucks from my newly adopted hometown of Vancouver are gonna be my team. Looking forward to the start of the season and getting into hockey. Never seen a full game before but need to concentrate on a sport to fill the big gap left by not being able to see as much football (soccer). Reckon hockey will be the North American sport I like most.

Any tips on how to properly enjoy the games? Like which beer (tried Molson and it's not great), which snacks and things to shout at the players?

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Location: On the border of Pineys Everywhere and Gaudy Summer Homes. Not far from Ghetto in the Woods.

Post by Rip Rufus »

tomodon wrote:The Canucks from my newly adopted hometown of Vancouver are gonna be my team. Looking forward to the start of the season and getting into hockey. Never seen a full game before but need to concentrate on a sport to fill the big gap left by not being able to see as much football (soccer). Reckon hockey will be the North American sport I like most.

Any tips on how to properly enjoy the games? Like which beer (tried Molson and it's not great), which snacks and things to shout at the players?
Certain things from your love of soccer will translate over to hockey. I grew up playing both games, and a lot of the strategy and skill of both games are similar. That said, there is no "proper" hockey beer, drink whatever you like. But pizza and chicken wings as a meal during the game is a wonderful.

I plan on going to a day or two of the Flyers training camp. It's less than an hour away, and I have nothing better to do. Can't wait for the season to start!
"You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." - A.J.S.

devo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by devo »

to best enjoy hockey, go to a few games in person. television does not do justice to the speed and physicality of the game. when you have seen the game live, the transition to tele is like viewing at 3/4 speed, but you have an idea of what's really going on as opposed to watching a video game. i've played football(soccer) at good club level and have seen international matches and plenty of mls in person, but was absolutely floored when i saw a game at stamford bridge last year. its like that. nhl rocks. as far as crowds, i've found hockey fans to be far more knowledgable and attentive to the game at hand than us football and baseball attendees. not to say there aren't hard core yankee or giant fans out there, i sit with many, the larger audience just allows for more "event" oriented ticketholders. that said, i have yet to see a crowd in the states stay in time for longer than a three or four word chant. oh well, "let's go rangers" kinda says it all anyway. point is go see the game live and you will be hooked. and for nutritional sustainance: pre-game corned beef, guiness and jameo at the blarney stone followed by more game-time guiness(available at mezz level-msg) and post game pizza and heroin on ninth ave is a proper if not traditional diet. and above all, never leave your seat until the puck has stopped. btw, george best is on my favs list--even if he did play for mufc. keano too. and hughes and irwin. that's enough.
"that's really a fine thing, when a man of god begins hanging around a place like this with a bunch of dirty drunks and gamblers. if he wasn't a chaplain," general dreedle muttered, "i'd have him taken outside and shot."

Labatt_50
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Labatt_50 »

tomodon wrote:The Canucks from my newly adopted hometown of Vancouver are gonna be my team. Looking forward to the start of the season and getting into hockey. Never seen a full game before but need to concentrate on a sport to fill the big gap left by not being able to see as much football (soccer). Reckon hockey will be the North American sport I like most.

Well my friend, you will soon love Hockey Night in Canada, (CBC starting around 7) its an institution around here. You will grow to love Grapes, Mr Don Cherry, the greatest Hockey commentator in this nation. For food hot wings of course, as Mr. Rufus has already covered, but also donairs, gyros and poutine. Molson Canadian is crap, try Labatt blue, 50, Molson export, hell we even have Carling black label here (first made in my hometown) just stronger than you boys get it. Out there on the west coast though kokanee is the drink of choice. And yeah, as the gentleman who commented before me said, go to a live game, it doesnt have to be NHL, WHL is cheaper, or even your local Junior A/B teams, learn how to skate, learn how to play and watch.

devo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by devo »

gentleman? rethinking things, i'd go along with labatt. skip the heroin and learn to skate. then you'll really be amazed at what the pros do. don't be tempted, while learning, to bring a stick along and use it for support. acting like a tripod isn't really skating and people will just cunfuse you with any number of flyers defensmen.
"that's really a fine thing, when a man of god begins hanging around a place like this with a bunch of dirty drunks and gamblers. if he wasn't a chaplain," general dreedle muttered, "i'd have him taken outside and shot."

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

I can't wait to see Riley Cote kick some ass this year.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

tomodon
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by tomodon »

Yup, looking forward to the hockey season even more after reading that. Shame you're a Chelsea fan in the football, Devo. United are gonna break that home winning streak at Stamford Bridge on Sunday though. Gonna have to be up at 5.30am here in Pacific Time to get to the United pub which opens specially to see the game! That's getting to the pub early even for me!

Just working my way through a two-four of Kokanee now, Labatt. Not bad, better than Molson like you say. Thought I'd try it as it's the B.C. brew.

Definitely gonna go and see a few hockey games live. Bet a proper idea of the game. No idea who Grapes and Don Cherry are yet but will look forward to getting familiar with CBC hockey night!

devo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by devo »

i had heard talk of an outdoor nhl game at yankee stadium before they tear it down. most likely rangers vs islanders. if there is any truth to this, it will rank as a must see. for now, i'll take goals from obi, lampard and cole to one from teves and first place for the week followed by a giants win over cincinnati(the giants will make it look hard) and call it a pretty good weekend. sorry united moscow, maybe, but not at the bridge.

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

Hockey is for pussies. Badminton is where it's at. "That's my cock you're pounding, sir!"
I'll miss you, pallie.

tomodon
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by tomodon »

A fan of the old badders eh? You're in good company http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c3gj476pww

3-1 at Stamford Bridge no way. One goal will do it. Berbatov opens his account for the Red Devils. Incidently, Ashley Cole has taken over from Alan Shearer as the footballer I would most love to see get punched square in the face. If only you could get away with that in football like you can in hockey.

Outdoor hockey wouldn't work if it was pouring down though would it? Thought it was always in arenas...

Labatt_50
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Labatt_50 »

tomodon wrote:
Outdoor hockey wouldn't work if it was pouring down though would it? Thought it was always in arenas...
It isn't going to rain around here in the winter if there is snow it isn't really a big deal. We used to play hockey outdoors all the time in the winter, its called shinny.

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Location: On the border of Pineys Everywhere and Gaudy Summer Homes. Not far from Ghetto in the Woods.

Post by Rip Rufus »

coqui_chris wrote:I can't wait to see Riley Cote kick some ass this year.
Damn straight!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJPt8JhTcG8

Cote could be the best Flyer fighter since the great one, #21...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NENQFEyY ... re=related
"You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." - A.J.S.

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Rip Rufus »

Speaking of hockey, check out my newest minor injury.
eye.jpg
eye.jpg (13.48 KiB) Viewed 11893 times
Rebound in front of my new popped up in the air, I gloved it to the corner, but the jackass winger on their team thought that swattting at it with his stick was a good idea. Double minor for high sticking for him, and hopefully a decent scar for me. Chicks dig scars.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Rip Rufus wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:I can't wait to see Riley Cote kick some ass this year.
Damn straight!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJPt8JhTcG8

Cote could be the best Flyer fighter since the great one, #21...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NENQFEyY ... re=related
Hockey's gotta stop going soft, though.
Its gay enough that they make you wear helmets now.
Bring back Craig MacTavish!
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk