Olympic Hockey

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bur, ThirstyDrunk, Hardcore Stig

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: Olympic Hockey

Post by Chimneyfish »

JohnnyTequila wrote:I know nothing of hockey. Just curious, why all the hate for Sydney Crosby?
He lives in Philly.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

JohnnyTequila wrote:I know nothing of hockey. Just curious, why all the hate for Sydney Crosby?
Why do football fans hate T.O.??

He's kind of like Ned Brayden -- pretty boy, sissy, has-it-all, afraid to stand up and fight and be a man.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Location: On the border of Pineys Everywhere and Gaudy Summer Homes. Not far from Ghetto in the Woods.

Post by Rip Rufus »

coqui_chris wrote:

He's kind of like Ned Brayden -- pretty boy, sissy, has-it-all, afraid to stand up and fight and be a man.
Maybe Brayden's a fag?

Seriously, most people will not know who Ned Brayden is, and that's unfortunate.
"You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." - A.J.S.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Rip Rufus wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:

Maybe Brayden's a fag?

Seriously, most people will not know who Ned Brayden is, and that's unfortunate.
Imagine Crosby as Jeter-like prettyboy who the media fawns over like Tiger Woods, only he won't dive for a line drive or a grounder because he doesn't want to get his uniform dirty.

A pussy, if you will. Sopping wet with the tampon string hanging out.

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Location: On the border of Pineys Everywhere and Gaudy Summer Homes. Not far from Ghetto in the Woods.

Post by Rip Rufus »

coqui_chris wrote:Imagine Crosby as Jeter-like prettyboy who the media fawns over like Tiger Woods, only he won't dive for a line drive or a grounder because he doesn't want to get his uniform dirty.

Agreed.

But I always get my Bettman-hate tied up in my Crosby-hate as well. It's more than just hating Crosby as a player.
"You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." - A.J.S.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Rip Rufus wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:Imagine Crosby as Jeter-like prettyboy who the media fawns over like Tiger Woods, only he won't dive for a line drive or a grounder because he doesn't want to get his uniform dirty.

Agreed.

But I always get my Bettman-hate tied up in my Crosby-hate as well. It's more than just hating Crosby as a player.
Its the wussification of hockey.
Hockey's the 4th sport. And why isn't that fan. The fan base might be a minority, but its a fervent one.

Its like my main man Bill Cosby says, "I don't know the key to success, but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

Let hockey be hockey, and let soccer be soccer, and let basketball be basketball, and let Crosby go be a fluffer for gay movies in the San Fernando Valley.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

coqui_chris wrote:Why do football fans hate T.O.??
I loved him while he was playing for my team.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Yeah, I hate hearing everyone talk about how Jeter is the greatest SS just because he's got a pretty fielding percentage. The only thing fielding percentage measures is the rate of errors you make with the balls you handle. A SS with shitty range like Jeter doesn't make a lot of errors just because he doesn't get to a lot of balls that better players would be able to field, so he doesn't get as many chances to make errors in the first place. A much better metric is Range Factor, which measures how many putouts a player makes as compared to the average for his position. As it turns out, Jeter is a shitty defensive player.

Labatt_50
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Labatt_50 »

Rip Rufus wrote: But I always get my Bettman-hate tied up in my Crosby-hate as well. It's more than just hating Crosby as a player.
Yup, that's the same for me. It's a kneejerk, anything Bettman likes I hate. I think thats the case for most Canadian hockey fans. Crosby's just been hyped too much, since he was in QMJHL up here it's been non fucking stop. He is in so many fucking commercials. Having said that the guys certainly less of a crybaby now, I hate him a little less after that goal. Thing is John Tavares got hyped up all to hell as well, but I don't hate that guy, maybe when all the bandwagoners start wearing islander jerseys in 3 years.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

I'm not even Canadian and I don't like Crosby or Bettman either. Crosby was voted whiniest player by the actual players, that definitely says something.

Bettman, grr, he just keeps on screwing up, the guy simply doesn't know how to promote the sport.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

tomodon
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by tomodon »

Coming in (late) on the Crosby thing, I think this is why I always preferred Ovechkin more as a player. Ovechkin ran up a $10 grand bar tab in a strip club, is willing to get into a fight (even if his team-mates might not let him) and doesn't dive or ponce about. And Crosby looks like that goon out of Scrubs.

Pleased for Canada about the win though...

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Rip Rufus »

Resident Asshole wrote:Bettman, grr, he just keeps on screwing up, the guy simply doesn't know how to promote the sport.
Bettman.jpg
Bettman.jpg (36.39 KiB) Viewed 4956 times

fiyah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by fiyah »

Rip Rufus wrote:
Resident Asshole wrote:Bettman, grr, he just keeps on screwing up, the guy simply doesn't know how to promote the sport.
Would you rather have Stern screwing things up like he did the NBA?

Or how about Goodell making the NFL a non-contact sport?

Just keep the fighting in hockey and everything will sort itself out..
22:21 Thirsty i was too drunk to be high
[13:22] <@Veen> I need to find the penis monster
[23:03] <@fabric> dont masturbate to me

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Chimneyfish wrote:
Yeah, I hate hearing everyone talk about how Jeter is the greatest SS just because he's got a pretty fielding percentage. The only thing fielding percentage measures is the rate of errors you make with the balls you handle. A SS with shitty range like Jeter doesn't make a lot of errors just because he doesn't get to a lot of balls that better players would be able to field, so he doesn't get as many chances to make errors in the first place. A much better metric is Range Factor, which measures how many putouts a player makes as compared to the average for his position. As it turns out, Jeter is a shitty defensive player.
That's how Bill James, in his Baseball Abstract, presented his case that Mike Schmidt was a better fielding SS than Brooks Robinson. James contended that Brooksie looked good making diving, acrobatic stops on some balls that would've been routine grounders for Mike.

Of course, it didn't hurt that Robinson made some of his most memorable plays in the WS.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

Yeah, Bill James is my hero along with Billy Beane, Wayne Winston, and Jeff Sagarin. Mathletics was the best book I read last year. It's real popular right now to say that stats are overrated and that "the game is played on the field, not the calculator." Those are the people I like to gamble against the most.