Random 49er Update

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bur, ThirstyDrunk, Hardcore Stig

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Random 49er Update

Post by coqui_chris »

Chimneyfish wrote:Cool the Eagles have to come into the Stick in Week 5. I've gotta buy my tickets. Afterall we can't forget this incident. Unfortunately for visiting Eagles fans, it doesn't snow here.

The description of that video says "The Philadelphia Eagles fans let two misguided 49ers supporters know what its like in our house." To return the kind favor, I'd like to let any misguided Eagles supporters know what it's like in our house:

Candlestick Park

You can see why matters in the stands rarely become the focus of the event.
PHILADELPHIA FANS ARE THE WORST IN THE WORLD!!!!!
LISTEN TO HOW MANY PHILADEPHIA FANS TRANSPLANTED THEMSELVES TO NEWARK, NJ, TO CHEER TONIGHT AS LAPPERRIERE TO A PUCK TO THE FACE AND HAD TO BE CARTED OUT OF THE GAME!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ankjpg ... tube_gdata

ONLY PHILLY FANS WOULD MAKE THAT MUCH NOISE. IN EVERY OTHER CITY IN THE WORLD, THE FANS WOULD BUY LAPPERIERE COTTON CANDY AND A HAND-KNITTED SHAWL AND A BURRITO AND A NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC AND THEY'D POINT HIM OUT TO THE LOCAL MUSEUMS THAT OFFER FREE ADMISSION.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

I'm surprised they weren't all at Citizens Bank. I just read about how the Phillies went from having the seventh worst attendance in the league just in 2005 to having the second best last year with an average increase of 12,000 new fans in attendance each game.

NBA die-hards, MLB die-hards. Come on Eagles fans- don't let the trend down.

fiyah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by fiyah »

coqui_chris wrote:
Chimneyfish wrote:Cool the Eagles have to come into the Stick in Week 5. I've gotta buy my tickets. Afterall we can't forget this incident. Unfortunately for visiting Eagles fans, it doesn't snow here.

The description of that video says "The Philadelphia Eagles fans let two misguided 49ers supporters know what its like in our house." To return the kind favor, I'd like to let any misguided Eagles supporters know what it's like in our house:

Candlestick Park

LISTEN TO HOW MANY PHILADEPHIA FANS TRANSPLANTED THEMSELVES TO NEWARK, NJ, TO CHEER TONIGHT AS LAPPERRIERE TO A PUCK TO THE FACE AND HAD TO BE CARTED OUT OF THE GAME!!!

ONLY PHILLY FANS WOULD MAKE THAT MUCH NOISE. IN EVERY OTHER CITY IN THE WORLD, THE FANS WOULD BUY LAPPERIERE COTTON CANDY AND A HAND-KNITTED SHAWL AND A BURRITO AND A NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC AND THEY'D POINT HIM OUT TO THE LOCAL MUSEUMS THAT OFFER FREE ADMISSION.
In Denver, he'd have heard chants of "IAN!", "IAN!", "IAN!"..

no shit. that's selling out ala playoff hockey
22:21 Thirsty i was too drunk to be high
[13:22] <@Veen> I need to find the penis monster
[23:03] <@fabric> dont masturbate to me

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Chimneyfish wrote:I'm surprised they weren't all at Citizens Bank. I just read about how the Phillies went from having the seventh worst attendance in the league just in 2005 to having the second best last year with an average increase of 12,000 new fans in attendance each game.

NBA die-hards, MLB die-hards. Come on Eagles fans- don't let the trend down.
One thing you will find in Philadelphia, of which I myself will most certainly subscribe to, are fans of the city and its sports' teams in general, before they are fans of the sport itself.

In Chicago, you might have a Cubs fan, who is then a fan of baseball in general. A person in Philadelphia, however, might go from baseball to hockey to the draft to an article about why Stefanski needs to go as Sixers GM before he checks the national line on baseball itself.

Citizens Bank Park is undoubtedly why the Phils have ressurrected themselves. We weren't packing it in at The Vet like that before the Phillie Phanatic hit the implosion button. I mean I was there in the 700 Level, watching a whole section be kicked out by billy-clubbed cops for testing the "non-projectile" nature of the new plastic bottles they debuted on Opening Day 2002, just months after the Vet Judge made his appearance. But a lot of these people, like Pukemon for instance, weren't. 5-10 years, if our core group of Rollins, Utley, Howard starts to suck and our minor league prospects don't pan out, I'll still go, but I might have a radio tuned in to Merrill Reese talking about the Eagles while I'm there.

Philadelphia fans might cycle to the team that's giving them their money's worth, but we're a hard-working city and we demand value for our dollar, and I'm sick of hearing about it as a negative. There are shithead fans in every city acting uncouth every day. Remember, Shane Victorino didn't get beer-showered in The Bank last year. The only difference is fans in other cities sit on their hands like little faggots and let their owners dot their eyes whenever they're getting a raw deal. In Philly, that wouldn't happen. Because you're only here because our money pays for us to walk through those turnstiles and in and out of those merchandise booths.

Defensive end? Fuck off, Andy Reid!

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

fiyah wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:

Candlestick Park

In Denver, he'd have heard chants of "IAN!", "IAN!", "IAN!"..

no shit. that's selling out ala playoff hockey
New Jersey, and North Jersey in general, is a horrible place.

For chrissakes, the Jets and the Giants play there.

Its a cesspool. Bruce Springsteen made a career off of talking about how much it sucks.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

I guess I don't understand what is unique about Philly that explains its fans being uniquely whiney. I just don't believe it's the only city that works hard, has pride in itself, doesn't waste money, or is very dedicated to sports (those links show that the opposite is true). Every owner of every sports franchise has huge profit motive in satisfying its fans and winning games. It's not like any owner is waiting around for fans to start booing their own team before they decide "Hey, they're right! We should try to win a Super Bowl!" They already have plenty of incentive to make fans happy- especially in a city where support for their sports teams apparently depends so heavily on whether or not they're winning. I've gotta have respect for fans like in Tampa Bay where the number of people supporting them the year they were the worst in baseball was only a 1,000/game difference between the next year when they went to the World Series.

I don't care that Philly fans have this bad reputation because I'm not a Philly fan. But if I were, I'd probably be concerned about the extent of what is accepted under the excuse of just being a WiLd aNd CrAzY Philly fan, not a faggot! I think this is why the puke story got so much ink. I also think it's what draws parallels to the stereotypical lightweight kid who's drinking in a bar for the first time and thinks he can act however he wants after his third Bud Light because he's drunk, not a pussy! There's fans who act like douchebags everywhere, but there's only one place where violating long-held, unwritten sports etiquette is actually seen as a cool thing to do. All I know for sure is that the Giants went from playing in one of the worst parks in Candlestick to playing in the best, and I didn't even have to puke on any little girls to convince them that it'd be a profitable idea.

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

I am trying to get to the Giants/Redsox game this year in SF. It is the most beautiful park i have ever seen!
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GFYCMD- Go Fuck Yourself, Captain Mike Davis.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Chimneyfish wrote:I guess I don't understand what is unique about Philly that explains its fans being uniquely whiney. I just don't believe it's the only city that works hard, has pride in itself, doesn't waste money, or is very dedicated to sports (those links show that the opposite is true). Every owner of every sports franchise has huge profit motive in satisfying its fans and winning games. It's not like any owner is waiting around for fans to start booing their own team before they decide "Hey, they're right! We should try to win a Super Bowl!" They already have plenty of incentive to make fans happy- especially in a city where support for their sports teams apparently depends so heavily on whether or not they're winning. I've gotta have respect for fans like in Tampa Bay where the number of people supporting them the year they were the worst in baseball was only a 1,000/game difference between the next year when they went to the World Series.

I don't care that Philly fans have this bad reputation because I'm not a Philly fan. But if I were, I'd probably be concerned about the extent of what is accepted under the excuse of just being a WiLd aNd CrAzY Philly fan, not a faggot! I think this is why the puke story got so much ink. I also think it's what draws parallels to the stereotypical lightweight kid who's drinking in a bar for the first time and thinks he can act however he wants after his third Bud Light because he's drunk, not a pussy! There's fans who act like douchebags everywhere, but there's only one place where violating long-held, unwritten sports etiquette is actually seen as a cool thing to do. All I know for sure is that the Giants went from playing in one of the worst parks in Candlestick to playing in the best, and I didn't even have to puke on any little girls to convince them that it'd be a profitable idea.
So what exactly was it about the reception that the puking person got translates to acceptance?

I'm pretty sure that holding him down and punching him in the face is a pretty stark rejection.

What unwritten sports etiquette do Philly fans break that aren't broken elsewhere? Fans booed Michael Irving nearly 10 years during an injury. This was so "accepted" that a special court was adjourned right in Veterans Stadium.

Ian Lapperiere's injury was cheered last Thursday.