World Cup 2010

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bur, ThirstyDrunk, Hardcore Stig

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: World Cup 2010

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

I'm sorry, but the World Cup has been absolutely dire so far. A couple of notable games (and results) aside, there's been very little to enjoy.

Had I been betting throughout (I stuck to the horses), i'd likely be a bit in front - and slightly more interested - as draws in the Group Stages always seemed likely.

Reckon that Germany have a shock in store for Argentina on Saturday.

With regards to that goal (i'm not laughing right now, honest), and the debate that will come with it, I take the old-fashioned view. It can be argued that the modern game, with ballerinas as opposed to men, needs video replays to eliminate refereeing mistakes and cheating, but I just don't want the game to be slowed down - any more so than players feigning injury slow it down already. Yes, mistakes can be excruciatingly costly. To err is human, etc.

Besides, in the referee, I have someone to blame when my team are deal an injustice.

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by kowalski »

Now that Brasil are out, I wonder who can win? I predict a Holland - Spain final. I have had some great drinking with some great Dutchmen, so I will probably root for Holland...
Snakebite & Blue Bols <-- The Drink of Champions

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Location: On the border of Pineys Everywhere and Gaudy Summer Homes. Not far from Ghetto in the Woods.

Post by Rip Rufus »

Will wake up on time to watch Germany-Argentina. Alemania Uber Alles! Even though I like some of the Argies, I hope the Krauts go through. And what a finish in the Uruaguay-Ghana game! The final PK for Uruguay was the coolest thing I've seen in a soccer game in ages. He just lobbed it down the middle. I can't imagine being cool enough to do that under pressure. That's a trick you pull on your goalie in practice, not in the World Cup quarterfinals.
"You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." - A.J.S.

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Before the game, I tipped Germany to not only beat the Argies (and what a beating!), but to win the World Cup as well. Not had a single bet on the World Cup so far, but i'm putting my money on Germany. Would fancy them to break the Dutch resolve in the final.

Had I bet on Germany begore the Argentina game, i've have got 7/1. 7/4 is much less appealing.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Who won?
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

tomodon
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by tomodon »

Germany Vs. Holland final would be great. They hate each other...A LOT! And I like that. It'd be like a big local derby from the Premier League or the Bundesliga. The German team look very good though. Come on Holland!

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by kowalski »

I was lucky - I bet that Spain would beat Paraguay within normal time. My heart was in my mouth during the penalties and craziness. Thanks to David Villa though I won some money in the 87th minute...

Go Holland!
Snakebite & Blue Bols <-- The Drink of Champions

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

De Nederlands are in the final: 3-2.

I'm pulling for NL vs Germany.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

Yeah, even if Spain pulls an upset, I'll be rooting for the Dutch.
Be safe everyone.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

If Germany wins tonite, I'll either be going to Eindhoven, Holland or Cologne, Germany for a World Cup Finals party on Sunday.

Besides the beer, living in Belgium does have it's perks.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

tomodon
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by tomodon »

peetie44 wrote:If Germany wins tonite, I'll either be going to Eindhoven, Holland or Cologne, Germany for a World Cup Finals party on Sunday.

Yeah, I'm hoping to be in Holland for the final too. In Leiden just outside Den Haag - don't know if you know it or have played there? The atmosphere will be incredible anyway.

What a goal by van Bronckhorst last night as well!

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

tomodon wrote:
peetie44 wrote:If Germany wins tonite, I'll either be going to Eindhoven, Holland or Cologne, Germany for a World Cup Finals party on Sunday.

Yeah, I'm hoping to be in Holland for the final too. In Leiden just outside Den Haag - don't know if you know it or have played there? The atmosphere will be incredible anyway.

What a goal by van Bronckhorst last night as well!
My manager's step-daughter has a cafe in Den Haag, where I play sometimes.

tomodon
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by tomodon »

What's the point in having a 3rd / 4th place play-off? It's not like there's a bronze medal at stake...

Hope for a good final. Come on Holland!

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

I'll be in Eindhoven (NL) tomorrow, in full orange regalia, to help cheer the Dutch team home.

Btw...what is this game called again; sock-her or futbol or what?

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Post by Screwball »

Las Herraduras sin el Caballo.