What are you reading?

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Lush City, Mr. Viking, Savage

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

What are you reading?

Post by Savage »

Yeah, there's an ancient topic somewhere, but I can't find it.

That said, I'm rereading Harriet the Spy, a childrens book that came out around the time I began to read. I found in in our library, whilst cleaning the place out, and donating several hundred books to the Goodwill and the library sales shop. I love Harriet, she is sort of like I was, back in the day, only richer and New York instead of Cali. Always an observer, never a true participant.
like tears in rain

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Mr. Viking »

I just finished John Barleycorn. It was very compelling, but I had to disagree with Jack London's idea that prohibition would save the future.
I'm now reading Tortilla Flat, and enjoying it immensely, it's such fun, and everyone in it is always drunk, or trying to get drunk. The characters also mirror my thought process when trying to justify doing something wrong down to a tee
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

D'ya know what most bothers me? (Or bothers me the most?) People who don't have books. I mean, I've been churchmice poor, but at least I had a shelfload of library books. What the hell is up with people who do not read? We went to a wake, and the girl hosting it, who is intelligent, as far as I know, had not a book or periodical in her house. She is pretty much typical of nearly all of Grumpy's relatives. Nearly thirty years I have been married to him, and I never cease to wonder at their lack of appreciation for the printed word.
like tears in rain

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I don't have that many books about, I tend to borrow them from the library, and when I've read a book I'll quite often give it to my brother or sister to read. They both hoard books. I try not to, yet have still managed to fill a sofa with them (it collapsed so I use it as a bookcase)
On the note of borrowing, have books always been so expensive?
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Various Pets Alive and Dead by Marina Lewycka. It has a killer joke about the Fibonacci Sequence...
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I've been thinking about self publishing, which, I have come to understand, is what all the popular kids are doing.
like tears in rain

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Edwin Abbott's 'Flatland' and 'The Climbing Handbook' by Steve Long. Thoroughly absorbing in their different ways.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

And possibly absorbent depending on need.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Gangster Squad (historical non-fiction about organized crime and its policing in post-WWII Los Angeles) and The Greatest Generation (about those Americans who grew up during the Great Depression, fought in WWII and their subsequent lives)
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Palmwine Drunkard
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Palmwine Drunkard »

Ten Great Mysteries of Edgar Alan Poe.

I got this from a tourist and didn't think anything of it until I decided to take it out while I was sunbathing.

Amazing!

Not suited to a tropical climate, but soooo great.

Horas!
"Nature is beautiful at its most violent and chaotic. Embrace the wildness, in the storm and in yourself. And meditate heavily with aid of Johnny Walker. You've got it right. Let it all keep turning."
(Raoul Duke)

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Mr. Viking wrote:I just finished John Barleycorn. It was very compelling, but I had to disagree with Jack London's idea that prohibition would save the future.
I'm now reading Tortilla Flat, and enjoying it immensely, it's such fun, and everyone in it is always drunk, or trying to get drunk. The characters also mirror my thought process when trying to justify doing something wrong down to a tee
Tortilla Flats is a classic. I haven't read as much Steinbeck as I would like to.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

treetop

Post by treetop »

many things both dreadful and common. sitting on my butt with little else to occupy my time, one would think i'd have made better choices. alas, i stand before you (listing to starboard but standing nonetheless) dumber than i was seven weeks ago. between free kindle books and poor choices at the library i have read any number of horrible fictions and histories. i should have just bought robert jordan's "a memory of light" when i saw it at the grocer's. i think i'm going to read "the phantom tollbooth" again because it's awesome. that and maybe the earthsea trilogy.
it's all good in the woods, nobody hears me when i scream.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Savage wrote:I've been thinking about self publishing, which, I have come to understand, is what all the popular kids are doing.
Or you could try Kickstarter; put up a few pages and if someone likes it, they'll give you money.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

treetop wrote:many things both dreadful and common.
I went through a stage when I purposely took those sorts of books out of the library. Call me a hipster if you will (yes I have a beard and horn rimmed glasses and a pair of "slim fit trousers"(excessive use of parentheses: in what way can you distort the meaning of "slim" to suit a 40" waist))
reading is reading, and sometimes they do just hit the spot

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I "forgot" to return an Edward Gorey book during a move. I wrote the library and paid for it. I did not feel too badly, as the card checkout thingy showed that the last time someone had checked it out was 1965. And I checked it out in 1998. Of course, today it is all done by computer, including the writing of the book, I suppose.
like tears in rain