What are you reading?

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Lush City, Mr. Viking, Savage

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: What are you reading?

Post by benitobeast69 »

Frankennietzsche wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:59 pm
I just started a collection of short horror stories by Laird Barron called "The Beautiful Thing that Awaits Us All." The first story was pretty good; it started off like a Hemmingway hunting story, with manliness, tales of the Great War and drinking, then ended in madness.
started like hem...ended like hunter.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Just started "Haunted Houses" by Richard Winer and Nancy Osborn. Meh, so-so. Not terribly into it, but it has potential to be interesting. At any rate it ain't that long, not much over 200 pages, I should be able to get through it.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Always avoided it but I just started "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Funny book, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Currently working my way through Hammer's Slammers series of books by David Drake collected into a three volume set. So far digging it. Not a huge scifi nut more fantasy but all in all a good read.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Recently finished "Colorado Kid" by Stephen King. Interesting story, short but nice. I enjoy a little pulp fiction from time to time.
Just started "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" by Douglas Adams. Don't normally go for science fiction but I'm enjoying this one as well as I enjoyed hitchhiker's guide.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

scream ale wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:29 pm
Recently finished "Colorado Kid" by Stephen King. Interesting story, short but nice. I enjoy a little pulp fiction from time to time.
Just started "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" by Douglas Adams. Don't normally go for science fiction but I'm enjoying this one as well as I enjoyed hitchhiker's guide.
If you like Doug Adams might I suggest Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett. Brilliant writers and the same dry British humor.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Thank god I can`t read, so what did Latschez say?
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Patchez wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:17 pm
scream ale wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:29 pm
If you like Doug Adams might I suggest Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett. Brilliant writers and the same dry British humor.
I'll be sure to add those two names to my list. Always appreciate a good recommend.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Currently letting my ADD run wild with a stack from the library. The Complete Stories of Kurt Vonnegut, Don't Hide the Madness: William S. Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg in Conversation, The Pulps: 50 Years of American Pop Culture and Bukowski on Drinking. Fun, fun, fun.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Still letting my ADD run wild. Currently going back and forth between Reel Terror by David Konow, Blitzed: Drugs in the Third Reich by Norman Ohler and The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps.

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

I'm reading This Must Be the Place: Memoirs of Montparnasse by Jimmie "the Barman" Charters.

From Library Journal: To Lost Generation aficionados, Jimmy "the Barman" Charters needs no introduction. For those of lesser faiths, he tended bar at one of the Paris expatriates' favorite watering holes, the Dingo. In this reprint from 1934, Jimmy reminisces about those legendary days, and nearly everyone who played a part in them gets a nod. Many of these stories won't be found anywhere else. Jimmy serves his memories the same way he served drinks: some straight up, some on the rocks, and some with a twist. Hemingway's introduction alone makes it worth the price.

A little dated and dry for my taste but, for some reason, I can't put it down.
DRINK!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Tried getting into the "Dark Tower" series recently. Made it about half way through "The Gunslinger". Fantasy just doesn't hold my interest for some reason.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

scream ale wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:38 am
Tried getting into the "Dark Tower" series recently. Made it about half way through "The Gunslinger". Fantasy just doesn't hold my interest for some reason.
I think I recently watched a movie based on this. It was lame as hell
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

^^^ The one with Woody what's-his-face? That did look dumb as hell but I haven't seen it.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Masstheww MacConaughennery as the vilians actor, yes that one
Drink!