What are you reading?

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Lush City, Mr. Viking, Savage

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: What are you reading?

Post by scream ale »

Currently reading "Bog Bodies Uncovered: Solving Europe's Ancient Mysteries" by Miranda Aldhouse-Green. I had previously read P.V. Glob's "Bog People" and was interested when I saw this one as it's much newer, Glob's book was from the 1960's I believe. Crazy how bodies can be preserved in peat bogs for centuries. The pictures are damn creepy too. They look like some bizare art project.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

scream ale wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:38 am
Currently reading "Bog Bodies Uncovered: Solving Europe's Ancient Mysteries" by Miranda Aldhouse-Green. I had previously read P.V. Glob's "Bog People" and was interested when I saw this one as it's much newer, Glob's book was from the 1960's I believe. Crazy how bodies can be preserved in peat bogs for centuries. The pictures are damn creepy too. They look like some bizare art project.
I wonder if any body parts smoked my Caol Ila?
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

scream ale wrote:
That sounds fascinating! Will have to check it out.
Okole maluna!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Patchez wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:18 am
scream ale wrote:
I wonder if any body parts smoked my Caol Ila?
I can see it now..."Taste the Ancients Iron Age Scotch".

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

I just finished two books that were recommended by Hugh. "Apartment" by Teddy Wayne was a lot of fun. It reminded me of one of those literary brat pack books from the 80s. I also highly recommend it.

The other is called "Circus Parade" by Jim Tully. It's a collection of stories from the authors life in the 1920s and 30s. Jim Tully was a hobo, worked for a traveling circus laborer, was a professional boxer, and eventually worked as a professional writer in Hollywood. Interesting.

I'm now grinding my way through "J Edgar Hoover : The Man and the Secrets" by Curt Gentry. It's a brick of a book, but shit, I cant put it down.
DRINK!

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

I'm currently reading The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime by Judith Flanders. Interesting read so far. Apparently murder and mayhem have always been a part of entertainment as seen in the numerous examples of stage productions and written works based on murders and criminals mentioned in this book.
Three cheers for humanity! We're number one!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Recently picked up a reprinting of "Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal & Grindcore" by Albert Mudrian. Has new cover art, bonus chapters and a bonus foreward by Scott Carlson (Repulsion). I'd read the original version years ago as my girlfriend had an older copy.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

scream ale wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:38 pm
Recently picked up a reprinting of "Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal & Grindcore" by Albert Mudrian. Has new cover art, bonus chapters and a bonus foreward by Scott Carlson (Repulsion). I'd read the original version years ago as my girlfriend had an older copy.
Does it feature Agoraphobic Nosebleed or Discordance Axis? I'd buy it just for those bands.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Nausea wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:52 pm
scream ale wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:38 pm
Does it feature Agoraphobic Nosebleed or Discordance Axis? I'd buy it just for those bands.
Almost positive Agoraphobic Nosebleed/Scott Hull are in this. I'm currently on chapter 5, haven't got that far on the re-read yet.

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

I just finished Factotum. Not one of my favorite Bukowski books. It was a bit dull, compared to Ham on Rye, Post Office, and Hollywood. But I read it and was glad when I finished it.

I'm now reading Sylvis Plath's The Bell Jar. I think Hugh recommended it. It's pretty good. She's a good writer.

I tried to start a book called Generation X, but had to put it down; it's poorly written and feels like it's the work of a twelve year old.
DRINK!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Here's my review of Nick Flynn's latest memoir: https://terrorhousemag.com/catch/

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:15 pm
Here's my review of Nick Flynn's latest memoir: https://terrorhousemag.com/catch/
That`s not a review, that`s a well written summary
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

About to start on the last few back issues of MDM, that I didn't have, that were still in stock.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress--Heinlein
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice