What are you reading?

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Lush City, Mr. Viking, Savage

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Casual Binger wrote:
Well, I just did a quick search and it turns out the Jesus scene was deleted from the original edition and reinstated for an anniversary edition.
While I was reading it, amazon bots were tempting me with the anniversary edition. It was an odd coincidence. {I had bought it several years ago; long enough for some yellowing to occur.}
This has happened to me before: I read all 5 thousand pages of The Stand and then they came out with an expanded/anniversary/remodled/scattered-covered-topped and chunked version with parts that King had originally thought of as crucial.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

I started reading Ready Player One, recently.

eta: I have been reading this book for over a month, now. It's not that it's bad, or difficult, I just haven't had any time. I'm almost done. I knew that all of you were out there thinking "when is he going to finish it?" Well, soon, maybe.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

Frankennietzsche wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:18 pm
I started reading Ready Player One, recently.

eta: I have been reading this book for over a month, now. It's not that it's bad, or difficult, I just haven't had any time. I'm almost done. I knew that all of you were out there thinking "when is he going to finish it?" Well, soon, maybe.
I read Ready Player One recently and really enjoyed it. I understand a movie is in the works.

I also recently finished The Fuck Up by Arthur Neresian. It's a fast and darkly funny tale that reminds me a little of Bright Lights, Big City and Less Than Zero. Fun!
DRINK!

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Dear Booze wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:13 pm

I read Ready Player One recently and really enjoyed it.
I finished it this p[ast weekend and I did really enjoy it, as well. I am of the age that the 80's references were nostalgic rather than just "retro". I don't think that it is any piece of earth shattering literature, but it was well written.
I understand a movie is in the works.
I think that they are making it right now. El Speilbergo is at the helm.

Bur

Post by Bur »

Ilja ilf and jevgeni petrov - American Roadtrip.

While not expertly written it's highly entertaining. Right down Frankzes road I'd say.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Bur wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:21 am
Ilja ilf and jevgeni petrov - American Roadtrip.
I like American travel-logues from Europeans.
There is a book by an Irish journalist about his trip in the 90's to America to visit towns named Dublin. I think that it is titled "Sweet Liberty". It was very amusing, his perspective.
There is famous travel book from a Frenchman's visit to America in the 60's (?) that I can't remember the name of. It started off in the salt flats with one of the rocket cars. JG Ballard was fond of it.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

I just started a collection of short horror stories by Laird Barron called "The Beautiful Thing that Awaits Us All." The first story was pretty good; it started off like a Hemmingway hunting story, with manliness, tales of the Great War and drinking, then ended in madness.

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Just starting Clinton Cash. No opinion yet. Also, I've decided to revisit some of may favorites and just ordered Tortilla Flat, On The Road, and Catcher in the Rye. I read Catcher once every 10 years and have a different opinion each time. Funny, but the first time I read it (when I was 19) I missed the whole part about Holden talking to a shrink until the very end. That certainly gave the story a complete different feel. I wish I could relive that take on the story.
DRINK!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

I actually have this Modern Drunkard Magazine to listen to on Books On Tape. I listen to them when I have double vision.

This here FKR's MDM forum, well, it is written on the surface of a lake, so you have to be here to witness.

Welcome aboard!

hereforthebeer
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by hereforthebeer »

"what are you reading?"

Showoffs :D

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

I just finished The Colour of Magic and immediately started The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett. Madcap hilarity, one and all. Top drawer!

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

This is the second time taht I have started this book, but the first time that I finished it. I think that it is the first book in the "Urban Fantasy" subgenre that I have read.It's about a guy who comes back from Hell, physically, for revenge. And there's magic and drinking and skinheads. Also, my sister knows the author, which is the closest I can get to celebrity, besides the time that I waved at Allen Ginsburg and he waved back.
I think that they are making a book about it.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Frankennietzsche wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:05 pm
I just finished The Colour of Magic and immediately started The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett. Madcap hilarity, one and all. Top drawer!
What's your take on the upcoming American Gods series?
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Patchez wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:29 pm

What's your take on the upcoming American Gods series?
I really want to see/watch it, but I think taht I will have to wait until it is all available to binge or buy it on priced-to-own disc (as I have a hard time catching any scheduled tv programming, working at night and all that.) I have heard nothing but good reviews of it.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

I just started Terry Jones' Barbarians: An alternative Roman History by Terry Jones and Alan Ereira. It's the companion book to the 4-part documentary (which I haven't seen.) Pretty interesting, so far...