"The Long Walk"

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Lush City, Mr. Viking, Savage

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

"The Long Walk"

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Speaking of Stephen King...
"The Long Walk" by Stephen King. Has anyone read this? I'm not a King-ophile, but I have read a few of his books. "The Long Walk" might be the first of what is now the Young Adult Dystopian Genre novels. This one is remarkable in that it predicts both reality tv and was totally ripped off by the Hunger Games, as was The Running Man, to an extent (more so in Hunger Games 2.) It was written in 1979 and it is about a do or die game show involving teenagers. If they are the last one walking, they become a national celebrity with vast monies heaped upon them. And it takes place in a dystopian future that is broadcast on tv.
I haven't read the Hunger Games books, [and only seen the first movie all of the way through, most of the second and part of the third, so I don't know it they are that different.] But the movies definitely have that ripped off feeling.
Anyway, discuss or go to hell.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: "The Long Walk"

Post by Badfellow »

Yeah, I can see The Hunger Games doing some liberal lifting of inspiration from both The Long Walk and The Running Man.

First with The Long Walk: the premise is that in the America of the not too distant future (possibly due to very loosely referenced alternate historical events) the country is ran by a totalitarian regime which is represented by a charismatic figure called simply "The Major". Male youths are chosen by compulsory lottery to compete in The Long Walk, a contest of walking endurance that has become the most celebrated annual "sporting" event in American history with a great amount of regional pride put upon each contestant. Highly televised. Secret police known as "the Squads" roam the land. States exist but are ran by federal puppet governors. Ripoff Factor: 6.9/10

And now with The Running Man: Again, a near future dystopian America where The Running Man is biggest fucking thing to ever hit TV. Nightly broadcasts on the "free-vee" detail the exploits of contestants who are given liberty to evade cross-country for big money and prizes while being hunted down by an elite organization of killers. Of course, the game is fixed. Enter poor slob Ben Richards who has to go through all sorts horrendous bullshit to earn scratch for his family. Contestant is routinely demonized through malicious network propaganda, hate mongering and class bigotry. Reference in story to "Federal District Governor" as well as "Games Commission". Broadcast is used as a mass distraction and to generate economy. Ripoff Factor: 6.7/10

I suppose everything is inspired by something else. But there's a distinction to be made between inspiration and ripoff, and it can be a mighty fine line at that.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: "The Long Walk"

Post by oettinger »

And inbetween the 2000 movie Battle Royale
Drink!