The Word on the Curd: Perfect Beer Food

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Savage, Donald J. Drunk, Screwball

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

The Word on the Curd: Perfect Beer Food

Post by Badfellow »

Yesterday marked yet another successful All-Day Sunday, a whirling dervish of a sabbath that involved lots of artery clogging goodies and a fairly shameless vascilation between between beer and mixed drink consumption. Beer was had with breakfast, gin and tonics were had with lunch (and a Myers on the rocks), and by 4 o'clock I was back at it on the home front, scrounging from my stockpiles the strongest beers I could find.

I cannot tell you how the evening ended, only that I played a smashing round of Pants and passed out while at some point a certain moderator on these boards left a voice message expressing his disappointment at my lack of latenight moxy. I also dimly recall my girlfriend stating how it "lacked class" to drink liquor directly from the bottle, at which point I invoked some nonsense about "reduce, reuse, recycle".

What does this have to do with curds?

I credit the curd as quite possibly being the perfect food to compliment one's guzzling of beer. That was my epiphany from yesterday's All-Day Sunday. Here I will help the curd to reveal some of it's secrets so that you might partake of the delicacy.

First off, and I cannot stress this enough, start with frozen curds. If the cheese isn't frozen at the start of frying, it will spew from the batter in a molten state before the batter itself is done. If you make them yourself, batter a large batch and keep them in a sealed freezer bag for easy access (eat it Rachel Ray). You can also buy them in bulk from several retail/wholesale outlets as many bar proprietors do.

Also, about oil. Reuse your oil. That's right, get off your lazy ass and filter that shit back into the bottle. Vegetable oils can be reused many times, and in fact, a used or "seasoned" oil actually fries better with more flavor and less splattering.

Let's watch...

As they near completion, the curds will rise to the top and should appear golden brown. Frying temperature is set at 350 degrees F with total cooking time at approximately 4 minutes. Keep a wooden chopstick handy (bite me Martha Stewart) to keep them from clumping.

Avoid 3rd degree burns by using a stainless steel strainer to remove the curds.
Ahhh. This is what were after, a basket of hot curds served with a your choice of condiments. Mustard scores well with both cheese and beer, but don't overlook the virtue of a good barbeque sauce either. The Canadians are also fond of serving this type of fare drizzled in a good brown gravy.

The perfect deep fried cheese deserves the perfect beer. Much to my good fortune, one of the local candy stores is running a sale on some outstanding Lambic, unbelievably only $3.49 per bottle and just entering it's aged prime. Mead the Gueuze (7.9% abv) is a blend of 30% mead and 70% spontaniously fermented Gueuze Lambic, produced by Hanssens Artisanaal in Dworp, Belgium. Quite seriously, it is better than French Champagnes that sell for fifty times it's price.

Cheers you superlative bastards!
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

hoverdog
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by hoverdog »

I usually don't eat when really drinking beer, solids mess up the flow. And curds? No comment.

That lambic looks delicious though, never had one with mead in it.
The last thing that anyone should ever do is feel ashamed of blacking out. You were trying to get drunk last night and, goddamnit, mission accomplished.

cloud8
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by cloud8 »

I'm sure the curds were tasty, but they look like scallops. Not that scallops are a bad thing. The mead sounds awesome!
"Never apologise for being in the Bourbon aisle."
--Smatter Noguts

drunkin' Wisconsinite
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by drunkin' Wisconsinite »

curds qualify as a food group. Tastey, deepfried, nutricous finger food to enhance your drinking pleasure. I think they give them to visitors at our state borders along with those cheese head hats.

rat bastard
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by rat bastard »

badfellow, have i told you lately that you are my hero?

Diabetic Daredevil
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Diabetic Daredevil »

We had a friend named Jessica who moved to PA for 4 years to help open the Gander Mtn. stores in our area. Helluva girl, helluva drinker. Anyway, she swore by those things. Swore up and down they were the best drunk food ever!!!! Never had em. PA is a little backwards sometimes.
It's okay. He's just admiring the shape of your skull. - Dr. Gonzo

Ow, my left nut! - Doug McKenzie

BILL BRASKY!!!!!!!

Capt. Pantless
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Capt. Pantless »

i know the place has been mentioned in the "my favorite bar" section, but if you're in the minneapolis area and want some amazing curds, stop by Psycho Suzi's. best i've ever had. certainly don't have the ambition to make it at home unless i buy the frozen "reheat" kind...

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

rat bastard wrote:badfellow, have i told you lately that you are my hero?
I'm no hero. I'm just a drunk.
Capt. Pantless wrote:...stop by Psycho Suzi's...
Yeah, I used to sort of like that place. Granted, the pizza is muchos tits, but the more I went there the less I was impressed. Weak drinks, consistantly shitty service and an increasingly mundane crowd all added up. The last time I was there, we waited 20 minutes for our drinks on the patio until I finally went in to the bar and got them myself. Obviously you had a better experience.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

fuck you people who can get frsh curd(plural). im eatin jerky from someone's bag.
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

One of the great things about going to visit Missus's family is the easy access to great curd. SE MN has more than enough small town bars that specialize in greasy food and cheap drinks.

whiskeyprick
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by whiskeyprick »

whiskeyprick wrote:fuck you people who can get frsh curd(plural). im eatin jerky from someone's bag.
i forgot to mention it is stale and doesnt squeek when i bite it.
Gambling is a disease, but it's the only one you can win a ton of money for having - Norm Macdonald