Let's cook, soused or not.

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Savage, Donald J. Drunk, Screwball

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Let's cook, soused or not.

Post by Mr Boozificator »

The only reason for the soused or not is that during the week, I usually don't drink but still cook.

So tonight was poulet basquaise.
Appart from the traditional recipe, there are three important thing to remember according to me: 1)Your chicken really has to turn golden and crispy on the surface during the first phase. 2) Once you've put your chicken on the side for phase two, do not, I repeat, do not drop the bell pepper and onion keeping your fingers close to the cocotte (deep pan), because fucking burning oil literally jumps at them with all claws out. 3) Always keep some Biafine in your fridge cause you know damn well you always forget number 2. Ouch, swear, curse, wait for the reduction to be complete, enjoy.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Let's cook, soused or not.

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

You know you would rather have a double down from KFC.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Two Hearted
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Two Hearted »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:You know you would rather have a double down from KFC.
YES!
The cabin sits shut-down, cold-frozen and empty, dead mice in the traps, waiting for me to drink alone there in the dark.
--Smatter

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

ThirstyDrunk wrote:You know you would rather have a double down from KFC.
Doesn't exist here unfortunately.
I swear poulet basquaise is excellent too, it's just that you have to be ready to get slightly burned each time.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by BBoozer »

Yes, poulet basquaise is great. But I don't understand, Boozy, have you can resist a good glass of wine to accompany that delicious food. Is it because of your job? Or are you just principal about drinking on weekdays? Just asking.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

BBoozer wrote:Yes, poulet basquaise is great. But I don't understand, Boozy, have you can resist a good glass of wine to accompany that delicious food. Is it because of your job? Or are you just principal about drinking on weekdays? Just asking.
The job, only the job. When on holiday I just drink relentlessly.

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by kowalski »

Cooking is great - poulet basquaise sounds great (just googled it and might make it sometime). I love cooking stew or thai curry or something at the weekend and really taking my time over it - drinking whisky or wine with the TV on as well. Good times...
Snakebite & Blue Bols <-- The Drink of Champions

Aquaman
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Aquaman »

You French just don't know how to cook. Tonight I am having Spamoulaise lightly fried in reduced milk fat and garnished with fromage american.

For my appetizer I shall have potage vegetable due Campbell.

All accompanied by a fine mix of Steele Reserve and Old Crow.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Aquaman wrote:You French just don't know how to cook. Tonight I am having Spamoulaise lightly fried in reduced milk fat and garnished with fromage american.

For my appetizer I shall have potage vegetable due Campbell.

All accompanied by a fine mix of Steele Reserve and Old Crow.
Now that you put it this way, I am somehow glad we don't know how to cook.

Crystal
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Crystal »

I think I'll have the husband make meatloaf tonight. It's not french, but I can say it correctly. I haven't the slightest idea how to pronounce what you made, Mr. Boozificator.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
GFYCMD- Go Fuck Yourself, Captain Mike Davis.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Crystal wrote:I think I'll have the husband make meatloaf tonight. It's not french, but I can say it correctly. I haven't the slightest idea how to pronounce what you made, Mr. Boozificator.
It would sound like this: poo-lay bass-case (with case like in case closed, for example).

MethFront
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by MethFront »

Sounds good, El Booz.

I've got a rump roast soaking in red wine, black pepper, hungarian paprika and garlic. In a few hours I'll put that sucker in the oven with (moar) wine, some garlic, thyme, marjoram, potatoes and onions. She'll cook at 325°F for 4-5 hours. That's how I roll.
Be safe everyone.

Chimneyfish
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Chimneyfish »

This guy is my favorite chef.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

methfront wrote:Sounds good, El Booz.

I've got a rump roast soaking in red wine, black pepper, hungarian paprika and garlic. In a few hours I'll put that sucker in the oven with (moar) wine, some garlic, thyme, marjoram, potatoes and onions. She'll cook at 325°F for 4-5 hours. That's how I roll.
Okay, we need to meet in a kitchen. After that, may our guests have a proper stomach and palate.
Seriously, we need to cook together.

Judge

Post by Judge »

Ok, I had a defrosted chicken in the fridge and was going to go Texas BBQ on it but found this thread. I don't know what the "traditional" receipe is but I found enough to make a go of it. I spent close attention to the "crisp and golden skin" Etienne mentioned. I used flour and paprika to coat the chicken in when browning it. Some instructions don't use flour but most do. I was also conflicted on the use of tomato but most had it. So I used it.

It seemed like a dish best served over rice so I did that. If that breaks some rule I'll live with it.

My family loved it so I am taking the bold step to say I've cooked a French meal and was successful (finding the correct crusty bread was difficult but I did it). I don't know if my interpretation would count as traditional "french" but I'm going to take success where I can find it.

This dish is on the list, I can easily replicate it (or change it) so my thanks to our Franco representative.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.