Biscuits are good with Mustard

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Savage, Donald J. Drunk, Screwball

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Biscuits are good with Mustard

Post by BBoozer »

By the way, I think Jack White is great. Any guy who loves redheads is my friend. Any guy who touches my redhead is dead.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

You touch my red head you better finish the job.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

The Limey wrote:So anyway, i wiki'd it.
▪ In the United States it relates to a small soft leavened bread, somewhat similar to a scone.
▪ In Commonwealth English, it commonly is used to refer to a small and hard, often sweetened, flour-based product, most akin in American English to a cookie,
So you guys call scones - 'biscuits'.
I'm on it, Judge.

Now, do those look like the scones your mum serves with afternoon tea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zNebZr7TEs
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

Yeah, but over here we don't serve 'em with vomit. Whipped cream and jam (U.S. jelly) is standard. If you ever heard of "fresh cream scones" this is it -

Edit: image disappeared so here's a new one. The scone in in the middle, a fruited variety.
Last edited by The Limey on Tue May 10, 2011 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

The savoury version are cheese scone. Made with cheese in the mix and extra cheese on top, served usually buttered. (with tea obv.)

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

The Limey wrote:Yeah, but over here we don't serve 'em with vomit. Whipped cream and jam (U.S. jelly) is standard. If you ever heard of "fresh cream scones" this is it -

Gimme a bite!
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Whipped cream? and jam? WTFE. Too sweet.
Gimme the greasiest sausage gravy available on mine, thank you.
or mustard, of course...
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Judge

Post by Judge »

The Limey wrote:The savoury version are cheese scone. Made with cheese in the mix and extra cheese on top, served usually buttered. (with tea obv.)

Got this sent to me from Rowdy, it was fantastic!
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

This thread is delicious. I love post drinking munchies!

bluebottle
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by bluebottle »

what abt jiffy - just add water! and no kneading, just right from the spoon onto the tray. i love sausage and gravy, it's not vomity at all. http://www.jiffymix.com/product.php/26/ ... iscuit_Mix

John Barleycorn

Post by John Barleycorn »

The Limey wrote:Biscuits are different over here. We call biscuits what you guys call cookies. So what's a biscuit in America?
I remember the great sadness I experienced the first time I went to a KFC in Europe and saw that instead of biscuits there were fries.

Biscuits are kind of like if you made a Irish soda bread using only white flour and plenty of buttermilk but you made them small so that they come out like scone but not sweet, lighter, and flakier tending toward a croissant (but not one of those shitty rubbery croissants from the train station).

John Barleycorn

Post by John Barleycorn »

The Limey wrote:Yeah, but over here we don't serve 'em with vomit. Whipped cream and jam (U.S. jelly) is standard. If you ever heard of "fresh cream scones" this is it -

Edit: image disappeared so here's a new one. The scone in in the middle, a fruited variety.
Whipped cream? I thought you'd use clotted cream, which is like butter and whipped cream's lovechild.

Also, we have jam (aka preserves here). Jelly is something else. As the joke says, the difference between jam and jelly is that i can't jelly my cock up your mom's ass. But the true difference is that jam and preserves use the actual fruit material while jellies are made with the juice instead of the fruit.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

I believe the respective differences between biscuits in Britain and the American version is that, in Britain, a biscuit is an after-meal dessert, a schoolboy's lunch treat or a sweet accompaniment to one's afternoon tea. In America, biscuits are not sweet but rather a bread-alternative to a any hot meal or, with the proper amount of various meat/gravy combinations, a meal unto themselves.

At any rate, I haven't seen a picture yet on this thread that hasn't got me salivating. I'm craving a plate of southern biscuits w/ sausage gravy, followed by one of The Limey's creamed scones.

With plenty of beer afterwards to wash it all down.

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

John Barleycorn wrote:
The Limey wrote:Biscuits are different over here. We call biscuits what you guys call cookies. So what's a biscuit in America?
I remember the great sadness I experienced the first time I went to a KFC in Europe and saw that instead of biscuits there were fries.

Biscuits are kind of like if you made a Irish soda bread using only white flour and plenty of buttermilk but you made them small so that they come out like scone but not sweet, lighter, and flakier tending toward a croissant (but not one of those shitty rubbery croissants from the train station).
Aha, cheers John. Now it all makes sense.

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

John Barleycorn wrote: Whipped cream? I thought you'd use clotted cream, which is like butter and whipped cream's lovechild.
Whipped cream more these days. There are still stuffy old tea rooms that serve clotted here and there, perhaps more common regionally.
John Barleycorn wrote:Also, we have jam (aka preserves here). Jelly is something else. As the joke says, the difference between jam and jelly is that i can't jelly my cock up your mom's ass. But the true difference is that jam and preserves use the actual fruit material while jellies are made with the juice instead of the fruit.
So it's the same as it is here. Funny, as many Brits imitate the American "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" by putting jam in it.