Chocolate Cake

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Savage, Donald J. Drunk, Screwball

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Chocolate Cake

Post by Savage »

2 c. sugar
1-3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1/4 c. black cocoa powder(-check out King Arthur Flour Company
2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk, or soured milk, as in, a tablespoon of vinegar to replace a tablespoon of the milk
1/2 c. oil
1 t. vanilla
1 c. warm water

Make in the usual way for cake.
Bake 350 degrees, ---for two 9" rounds, 30-40 minutes. 13" by 9", 35-40 minutes. Oh, and line the pans with grease and flour and parchment, as this is a light and delicate cake
Frost with 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate and 1/2 c. butter. Stir in 3 T. black cocoa and 2 T. vanilla. Beat in 3-1/2 c. confectioners sugar and approx. 3/4 c. hot cream or evaporated milk.
This is the cake I always made for my kids, for their birthdays. I wish someone would make it for mine. It goes awfully well with milk or bourbon.
like tears in rain

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Chocolate Cake

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

But can one add bourbon to the mixture.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

have to agree with using oil. Butter is lovely for sponges, because it makes them fluffy and crisp, but with chocolate cake I find you have to use oil to make them nice and squishy. Bourbon is good too, or rum, which adds a lovely rich sweetness. My mum sometimes adds cointreau or grand marnier for chocolate orange cake, but does that more often for chocolate tart
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Palinka wrote:But can one add bourbon to the mixture.
Well, there is this:

Spice Applesauce Bourbon Cake

(you might note that it is a hobby of mine, to invent cake recipes)

1/3 c. crisco shortening (yes, shudder as you might, but it works)
1-1/3 c. sugar
1 egg... yes, just one lonely egg. this is rather a flattish cake
1 c. unsweetened (because, really aren't apples sweet enough on their own?) applesauce
1-2/3 c. flour, the regular sort
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
3 t. cinnamon
1 t. clove
1/2 t. allspice
1/4 c. bourbon (I like Maker's Mark, but Jim Beam works, or whatever you have)
1 T. vanilla extract

cream the crisco and sugar. beat in the egg. stir in the applesauce. blend in the whisked- together dry ingredients alternately with the bourbon and vanilla. Or yeah whatever. Just throw everything in together. It will be good. Bake at 350 degreess in an 8 or 9 inch pan, or one of those roundish Euro pans. (God only knows where the hell I got those from) Bake for 45-50 minutes, or whatever seems right. You know what done cake looks like, right? And then put lots of powdered sugar or glaze on it and tear into it.

with bourbon. because.
like tears in rain