Ramp sseason

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Savage, Donald J. Drunk, Screwball

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Ramp sseason

Post by Patchez »

Not sure how many know what ramps are but the season is wrapping up. My brother was able to get to the mountains to grab some.

Basically they are wild leeks with a flavor some where between spring onions and garlic. Strong little buggers. Pack some real heat to 'em.

Anyhow aside from the pickled ramps I mentioned in the What are You Drinking thread. I made ramp butter. Can't wait to use this as a finish to a great grilled steak. Or a sous vide steak with a grill sear.

The pile of leaves with the purple part of the stem are what I used for the butter.

Ramps and the juice and zest from one lemon.

Fold into room temp butter

Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Ramp sseason

Post by Badfellow »

Nice work. Ramp butter and snow crab, anyone?

They're up where I'm at, but the honey holes I hit are further north and still about a week out due to a late season snowfall. There's about 20 acres worth along a river that we go in and harvest selectively every year, ie. not wiping out the whole damn patch so they can't propagate.

Interesting to note, they dehydrate pretty well for preservation. Just cook them up in a little butter, wine or beer to bring them back to life.

Here in MN, we're also about a week out on morel season. Should be a banner year with all the rain we've had. Happy hunting!
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Wild blueberry season

Post by Badfellow »

Blueberries.

I'm booked for the last week of July at a resort roughly 10 miles from the border of Canadia.

Gonna do a little fishing, a lot of drinking, and the wild blueberries should be plump and ripe with all the alternating sunshine and rain. I can expect to pick about 100 quarts over several days which will be packed away neatly in the freezer back home.

People have asked: what do you do with all those blueberries?

Well, if you curious fucks really want to know, I eat them. I've also used them for bartering other precious commodities such as homebrew, venison, wild rice and smoked fish. They also make amazing jam which, when canned, lasts for years.

Blueberry picking! Fuck yeah!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

I am also severely disappointed that none of you dicks commented on Patchez' delicious looking ramp butter.

For shame. You're all a bunch of culinary cattle grazing on your potato chips and your supersized, high fucktose corn syrup beverages. People, wake up and smell the ramp butter. Jerks.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I was in awe duh, speechless
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Wild blueberry season

Post by scream ale »

Badfellow wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:06 pm
Blueberries.

I'm booked for the last week of July at a resort roughly 10 miles from the border of Canadia.

Gonna do a little fishing, a lot of drinking, and the wild blueberries should be plump and ripe with all the alternating sunshine and rain. I can expect to pick about 100 quarts over several days which will be packed away neatly in the freezer back home.

People have asked: what do you do with all those blueberries?

Well, if you curious fucks really want to know, I eat them. I've also used them for bartering other precious commodities such as homebrew, venison, wild rice and smoked fish. They also make amazing jam which, when canned, lasts for years.

That sounds like a fun time. Blueberries are awesome. Berries in general are my favorite fruit.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

I've never even seen a ramp before. Someday I'll try one. This I vow.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Wild blueberry season

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Badfellow wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:06 pm

Life is effin' awesome up in Canadia! My favorite cheesecake is blueberry. Any huckleberries up there? A gf of mine in Montana sent me some huckleberry syrup type stuff to put in cocktails a while back and that was awesome.

Yeah I like everything...from ramps, chives, spring onions, berries, herbs, both nuts and un-nuts (like peanuts) alike.

We have wild red raspberries and red currants in full effect right now. Oett's mom makes marmalade and preserves out of everything and it rocks as it doesn't have all these sugar additives.

I don't know why but lime marmalade caught my eye at the grocery store recently. I've never seen it before so I got it. Don't even know what to do with it.
Okole maluna!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

We do get huckleberries, but they're almost impossible to tell apart from the blueberries.

Other items you can forage near the border of Canadia:

*Wild juneberries (the effin' canucks call 'em Saskatoons, eh)

*Wild red raspberries (yum)

*Wild rose hips (make great jam, high in vitamin C)

*Wild gooseberries (yummers, good in pancakes)

*Wild chokecherries (make great jam and cocktail syrup)

*Cloud berries (rare, tasty ground growers of the northern coniferous forests... if you can collect enough, cloud berry wine rivals the best Bordeaux)

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

In other food related news last week and this week were canning days from mu buddies garden. The only item made that would really be of interest here would be the Honey Pilsner Pickles I made with Pilsner Urquell.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Yes, but are they crisp?

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Patchez wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:49 pm
In other food related news last week and this week were canning days from mu buddies garden. The only item made that would really be of interest here would be the Honey Pilsner Pickles I made with Pilsner Urquell.
They look great! Didn't you make some salsa too? Whatever it was, that looked good.
Okole maluna!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Badfellow wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:12 pm
Yes, but are they crisp?
Yes. They are.
Artful Drunktective wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:14 am
Patchez wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:49 pm
They look great! Didn't you make some salsa too? Whatever it was, that looked good.
Yep. It is pretty good considering it was from canned stuff not fresh.