Fish n' Chips

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Savage, Donald J. Drunk, Screwball

What is your preferred condiment for your fish n' chips?

Tartar Sauce
17%
Ketchup
No votes
Malt Vinegar
50%
Squirt of Lemon
17%
Other (please tell us what!)
17%

Total votes: 12

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Fish n' Chips

Post by Artful Drunktective »

So stumbled upon this. Thought it was interesting that A. there was no malt vinegar or lemon squeeze option and B. WTF is mustard doing on there?! Who does this?! But if I had to pick one it would be 3 but I would make my own with capers etc. The hot sauce looks tempting though...never considered it. But yellow mustard? Really??

Okole maluna!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:02 am
So stumbled upon this. Thought it was interesting that A. there was no malt vinegar or lemon squeeze option and B. WTF is mustard doing on there?! Who does this?! But if I had to pick one it would be 3 but I would make my own with capers etc. The hot sauce looks tempting though...never considered it. But yellow mustard? Really??

Old Bay Hot Sauce. Yes it's a thing. It is amazing.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

3 or 1
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

I've never tried using yellow mustard on fried fish, but it goes well many other things. Next time I get a fish fry I'll have to try that one.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

I think #allmustardsmatter. I love em' all whether it's honey, spicy, dijonaise, don't mattah, love love love em' all. This cafe I used ta go to had a sauce that was a mustard mayonnaise blend and it was pretty damn good; especially with french fries. So yeah maybe I could see how mustard could totally work.

My eyes are being continually opened to the possibilitahs of what condiments could accompany fish. I dated a guy that would make fried catfish regularly and he would serve it with white country gravy. It was fcking awesome.
Okole maluna!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

#allcondimentsmatter

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:18 am
Patchez wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:09 am
Is this for the fish or the chips? Fish is tartar always and fires(chips) get the malt vinegar always.
Good question! I guess I was basing the question off of willies post on how the fish n' chips were served with malted vinegar. Didn't think about what the vinegar was actually for or even distinguishing between the two. In actuality, you are correct Patch because I believe in the U.K., the vinegar was originally meant for the chips and I think I read that the Brits actually prefer some sort of tomato base sauce for the fish. Where's all the drunkard Brits at? Drunkard Anglo? benitobeast69?? What say you!

I like tartar and malt as well...interchangeably.

100% every Brit worth their pork pie hat and pointed mustache would eat fish and chips with vinegar..it's not even in question..it'd be on both fish and chips and well..even on the mushy peas. we eat it with tartar as well but that's an optional extra. You're gonna want a pickled egg as well other wise it's fuckin amateur hour.
I'm from the north of England and chips kidney pudding and gravy is probably just as popular as fish and chips here from the chippy.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

^ ^ ^ HAHA! Love it and thanks for the reply, it is appreciated. Coincidentally I just recently started making my own pickled eggs using the same brine I was making for homemade pickles. They turned out amazeballs. Oett's dad told us that they also ate them cold at pubs in Germany so I was inspired. Also I agree 100% good sir about the malt vinegar. It was fun to see how other drunkards eat this greasy basket of goodness.

So I had to call out bb69 for his expertise in the matter aside from the fact he's a Brit but due to a post of his in the "favorite pub" thread.

benitobeast69 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:31 pm
the Hawaiian fish and chips sounds the best!!! could nail that with a cheeky mai tai or twenty... I dunno man I could see it being class drunk food now that I think about it...especially if they fried the cod in finger eatin sized chunks so you could just grab and scoop your mushy peas while keeping your other hand free for beer. I'd fuck with it.

and because this related post cracked my shit up.

benitobeast69 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:28 pm
fish and chips is drunk food in the states??? you crazy cunts.

Cheers to us American crazy cunts and fish n' chips across the globe!
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Fish n' Chips - Pick 1

Following that note...this "pick one" appears to be more Brit style and as much as I stand by vinegar...the gravy would be up there as another top option. Especially with the chips. But it doesn't appear anyone else but me has even mentioned gravy as an option.

Man I wish I had some f & c's right now!

Okole maluna!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

people here in the Manchester love chips, cheese and gravy. It is pretty fuckin good to be fair. Too messy for drinking food though, best the next afternoon when you wake up.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

benitobeast69 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:21 am
people here in the Manchester love chips, cheese and gravy. It is pretty fuckin good to be fair. Too messy for drinking food though, best the next afternoon when you wake up.

This may be more Greater Manchester - but I'm sure the fellow Drunkards would be interested in your thoughts regarding the famous Pie Barm
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

hahah...fuck me I'd nail a pie barm right now. I'm 2 hours late for a party but feeling pretty fucking awesome. GIN IS CLASS

A pie barm aka a wigan kebab is fuckin ace...pot of gravy to dip/pour EH EH

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

This is why british cuisine isn`t actuallly called food in the rest of the world.

Never

not even africa
Drink!

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

I used to work with a guy from Bolton. He'd go on about chip shop pie barms and butter pies constantly. I didn't even know what they were beforehand.

Say what you want about the good people beyond Watford they know how to create good stodgy pre-drinking food that could also double up as some form of cement mix.
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Here ya go drunkard Brits! The lazy 'murrican version of your delicacy in it's finest!

Okole maluna!