Fish n' Chips

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Savage, Donald J. Drunk, Screwball

What is your preferred condiment for your fish n' chips?

Tartar Sauce
17%
Ketchup
No votes
Malt Vinegar
50%
Squirt of Lemon
17%
Other (please tell us what!)
17%

Total votes: 12

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: Fish n' Chips

Post by Dear Booze »

When preparing to eat fish n chips I have a long-standing tradition of poking holes in the fried fish with a fork. This allows the vinegar to really soak in.

As a side note, while eating pop tarts. I remove them from the toaster, poke holes in them and slather them with butter.
DRINK!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:51 am
Its stodgy decadence and it feels a little bit wrong
Now see, that just makes me want it even more.
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Dear Booze wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:58 am
As a side note, while eating pop tarts. I remove them from the toaster, poke holes in them and slather them with butter.
Never put butter on my PT's before but I think I would be down for that as I do put butter on heated up cinnamon rolls, donut fritters, and other pastries. I even like butter on Saltine crackers.

I bet it would be even better on a Toaster Strudel though with that flaky crust!
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Another awesome thing I miss with fish n' chips are hush puppies (fried corn bread fritters for those of you not privy). I liked those with the vinegar too. oettinger had no idea what these were when Badfellow and I tried to explain it to him once. Just shows how deprived his country is, because who doesn't want tasty fried balls?!

Okole maluna!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:15 pm
Another awesome thing I miss with fish n' chips are hush puppies (fried corn bread fritters for those of you not privy). I liked those with the vinegar too. Gene oettinger had no idea what these were when Badfellow and I tried to explain it to him once. Just shows how deprived his country is, because who doesn't want tasty fried balls?!

I'm guessing there's no Long John Silver's in Wuperdale?

I'm not sure if I could survive without a fairly regular fix of silver fish, hushpuppys, their steller coleslaw, and pressed chicken parts.
DRINK!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Dear Booze wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:13 am

I'm not sure if I could survive without a fairly regular fix of silver fish, hushpuppys, their steller coleslaw, and pressed chicken parts.
Don't forget the fried crispies. Are you one of those that asks for extra crispies?
Okole maluna!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:47 am
Dear Booze wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:13 am

Don't forget the fried crispies. Are you one of those that asks for extra crispies?
I love the crispies, but didn't know you could request extra. Never thought about it. You just changed my fucking life!
DRINK!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Dear Booze wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:14 am

I love the crispies, but didn't know you could request extra. Never thought about it. You just changed my fucking life!
The Untold Truth of Long John Silvers

Crispies are an off-the-menu side item
Whether you call them crispies, cracklins, crunchies, or just crumbs, any order of fried fish at Long John Silver's is going to come with them. They're those extra droppings of the fried batter Long John Silver's uses in all of their fried food dishes. If you normally disregard those crispies and toss them out when you finish your main meal, then you've been throwing away a secret menu item all these years. Crispies might just look like crumbs, but any LJS regular knows that they're an extra treat to be enjoyed.

As Paste writer and Long John Silver's fan Jim Vorel has noted, the restaurant staff is trained to treat these fried crumbs of batter as an unofficial side item. Vorel notes that he learned this after watching a small child walk up to the counter and ask for some crispies. "There I was, watching in rapt fascination and wondering what exactly he was requesting, when a worker emerged from the back carrying a fry container," wrote Vorel. "A fry container completely filled with crispies, which the fat little child gleefully took back to his booth and began to lustily devour."

Enjoy those crispies, folks.

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/136693/the-untol ... paign=clip
Okole maluna!

Pat Magroin
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Pat Magroin »

Whether you call them crispies, cracklins, crunchies, or just crumbs,
They maybe be called three of the four listed but "cracklins" NEVER!
https://acadianatable.com/2014/03/24/cajun-cracklins/

Cracklins' are another food item totally different. You take slices or chunks of pork fat with or without skin and deep fry them in lard (prefer frying medium) or some sissy non transfat oil. Fry them until crisp,crunchy and delicious. After frying dust them with your favorite seasoning. When I go to a local Mexican market they have chicharrones. The grown-up version of cracklins', as big as a bathmat. Guaranteed heart stopper, either version. And PLEASE......don't forget to drink copious amounts of beer with either one.
Where the fuck am I and how did I get here?

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Pat Magroin wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:24 pm
Whether you call them crispies, cracklins, crunchies, or just crumbs,
They maybe be called three of the four listed but "cracklins" NEVER!
https://acadianatable.com/2014/03/24/cajun-cracklins/

Cracklins' are another food item totally different.... When I go to a local Mexican market they have chicharrones.
This is true, but it's a regional thing. While in New Orleans last year, I discovered that the deep south uses the same name for a different food item. I read the menu item and got excited. When chicharrones appeared as my entre, I think I said something along the lines of "MOTHER FUCKER! These are chicharrones. Why the fuck didn't they just say that?"

In Boston, I had cracklins as part of a meal at an oyster bar. Totally different thing. These were more like leftover pieces of fried batter.
DRINK!

Pat Magroin
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Pat Magroin »

In Boston, I had cracklins as part of a meal at an oyster bar. Totally different thing. These were more like leftover pieces of fried batter
What the Hell does Boston know about Southern cookin'? Tell them to stick to their beans and tea!
Where the fuck am I and how did I get here?

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Yeah I only knew cracklin's (pork not batter "crispies") and chicharonnes were pretty much the same from watching "Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives". Amazing how much I've learned from that show haha.

I also always thought they were all "pork rinds" until I tried them and realized it was more than just crispy skin. This one Filipino "chicharon" brand I used to buy came with a pouch of vinegar inside the bag to dip them in which was a surprisingly good combo.

I love the chili flavored of any of these and I also like how they are zero carbs....well, back when I cared about that sort of thing.
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Guy Fieri puts the malt vinegar directly on his fish at Stoney's Pub.
Okole maluna!

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Back in the early-mid '80's Long John's served beer. Our buddy Mitch worked there and we would go in and get pitchers of beer and a serving tray piled with crispies.
Not the healthiest of meals. If you eat enough of them things they set in your belly like a sack of quikrete. Just add cheap draft.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:09 am
Back in the early-mid '80's Long John's served beer. Our buddy Mitch worked there and we would go in and get pitchers of beer and a serving tray piled with crispies.
Not the healthiest of meals. If you eat enough of them things they set in your belly like a sack of quikrete. Just add cheap draft.
When I get to Heaven this will be every fifth meal.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice