Sandwiches!

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Savage, Donald J. Drunk, Screwball

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Sandwiches!

Post by Patchez »

Always yes.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Nausea wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:46 pm
Chips on a sandwich is a tough call.

It's by no means unpleasant, but it doesn't really deliver much either.
I have to agree with the Kazoo Kid here. Say, I wonder if the Brits put crisps on their sandwiches?
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Badfellow wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:46 am
Nausea wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:46 pm
Chips on a sandwich is a tough call.

It's by no means unpleasant, but it doesn't really deliver much either.
I have to agree with the Kazoo Kid here. Say, I wonder if the Brits put crisps on their sandwiches?
crisps and chips are definite British sandwich items.

Last night we had jerk chicken pittas with vinegar slaw and sweet potato fries all stuffed up like a gyros...was pretty great

tonight is the rest of the pittas used for kebabs with some tandoori chicken, lamb shish, salad, and green chill spiked riata....no chips this time. hah
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

benitobeast69 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:10 pm

tonight is the rest of the pittas used for kebabs with some tandoori chicken, lamb shish, salad, and green chill spiked riata....no chips this time. hah
This all sounds crazy good but I'm especially intrigued by the green chilly spiked raita. Sounds amazeballs. Did you make it yourself?
Okole maluna!

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

Can we have some order in this thread please? Moderators! He's talking about pitas! A pita is not a sandwich. Its as much of a sandwich as a burrito is. John Montagu the 4th Earl of Sandwich and the inventor of the sandwich is rolling in his grave right now. You guys make me fucking sick!

The good Earl specifically said two slices of bread. Not one flat bread cut into a pocket, or one flat bread rolled. He said two slices of bread.

Do you the think good Earl when he was gambling away would have eating that delicious sounding concotion beno has described? No, good people of this board, he would not. That spiked raita would have got all over his cravat, if he was wearing a particularly long powdered wig it would have been completely littered with some tandoori chicken falling out and into it.

The sandwich is supposed to be clean and practical. There are only two exceptions to this rule; coronation chicken and the tripple decker club sandwich. Also sandwiches are better when cut corner to corner.
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:53 am
Can we have some order in this thread please? Moderators! He's talking about pitas! A pita is not a sandwich. Its as much of a sandwich as a burrito is. John Montagu the 4th Earl of Sandwich and the inventor of the sandwich is rolling in his grave right now. You guys make me fucking sick!

The good Earl specifically said two slices of bread. Not one flat bread cut into a pocket, or one flat bread rolled. He said two slices of bread.

Do you the think good Earl when he was gambling away would have eating that delicious sounding concotion beno has described? No, good people of this board, he would not. That spiked raita would have got all over his cravat, if he was wearing a particularly long powdered wig it would have been completely littered with some tandoori chicken falling out and into it.

The sandwich is supposed to be clean and practical. There are only two exceptions to this rule; coronation chicken and the tripple decker club sandwich. Also sandwiches are better when cut corner to corner.

Did someone shit in your cucumber sandwich, Anglo? I haven’t seen a Brit get his knickers so wound up since Churchill bitched out FDR for the deplorable state of his martini making skills.

Pita is bread, sir. Baked from wheat flour. And your curmudgeonly, 4th Earl of Sandwich skewed views on the matter do not make it otherwise.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

What about open face sandwiches?

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

scream ale wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:52 am
What about open face sandwiches?
Damn right! Open faced sandwiches and po’ boys matter!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:53 am

May I invite you TDA, to give your input here as well because there is currently a debate as to what is considered a "sandwich". Especially when burgers are thrown into the mix.

Also for clarification drunkards, the difference between the threads are...this one is about all the delightful sandwiches we make ourselves vs. which sandwiches we have when we are out and about in the world. That thread is only in "Not Booze Related" because it was an old thread created long before "Soused Cooking" was created. And technically it's not "Soused Cooking" if we are seeking out sandwiches at establishments where it is prepared for us. So there. Some drunkard rationale.
Okole maluna!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:17 am
benitobeast69 wrote:

This all sounds crazy good but I'm especially intrigued by the green chilly spiked raita. Sounds amazeballs. Did you make it yourself?
yuh man...as with everything we eat.

simple as fuck as well...just yogurt of dahi with green chilies, garlic, coriander (i think you guys call this by something else) a little lemon and salt and pepper...you could add cucumber like a normal raita but the garlic and chili kinda makes it so you wont taste it anyway. I've added diced red onion before as well but i usually add a shit load of raw red onion to a kebab anyway.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

benitobeast69 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:02 pm
Artful Drunktective wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:17 am
benitobeast69 wrote:

yuh man...as with everything we eat.

simple as fuck as well...just yogurt of dahi with green chilies, garlic, coriander (i think you guys call this by something else) a little lemon and salt and pepper...you could add cucumber like a normal raita but the garlic and chili kinda makes it so you wont taste it anyway. I've added diced red onion before as well but i usually add a shit load of raw red onion to a kebab anyway.
That sounds awesome and I see it in my future. I can live without the cucumber. And yes you are correct, I call coriander cilantro. In the islands, they called it Chinese parsley. But I love it no matter what the name. Also big in my Mexican cooking.
Okole maluna!

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

The burger and the open sandwich are subcategories of the sandwich family. One set up for people who enjoy meaty, greasy, decedence the other set up by scandanavians.

Watching the Burger Show on Youtube, I understand, the first burger was in fact without bun but rather two slices of plain ol white bread. So the first burger was a sandwich.

Where I get angry in the sandwich subcategories is the Croque Monsieur and the much tastier Croque Madame. They are good, don't get me wrong, but they are not sandwiches. It is not something you can pick up with your hands. You need a knife and fork. With a Croque Madame you also need a bib to protect your garments.
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:19 am
The burger and the open sandwich are subcategories of the sandwich family. One set up for people who enjoy meaty, greasy, decedence the other set up by scandanavians.

Watching the Burger Show on Youtube, I understand, the first burger was in fact without bun but rather two slices of plain ol white bread. So the first burger was a sandwich.

Where I get angry in the sandwich subcategories is the Croque Monsieur and the much tastier Croque Madame. They are good, don't get me wrong, but they are not sandwiches. It is not something you can pick up with your hands. You need a knife and fork. With a Croque Madame you also need a bib to protect your garments.
i'd defo eat a Croque Monsieur with my hands...not so much the Croque Madame.

Also i heard of a burger once that uses two slices of Welsh rarebit as the bun..that sounds excellent.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

I think I need to try a Croque Monsieur in the very near future.
None of that fancy pants knife and fork either.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

benitobeast69 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:48 am
TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:19 am
blablabla crock bun blablabla
I`m hungry
I sometimes wish I ate my home-made burger with fork and knife, spoon even