Making your own paprika

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Savage, Donald J. Drunk, Screwball

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Making your own paprika

Post by Badfellow »

So I've been growing some peppers.

In addition to the nuclear stuff that approaches 2,000,000 Scoville units, I also grow a number of more more mild varieties that are traditionally used in the making of powdered paprika. They have peculiar, heirloom names such as Leutschauer, Krimson Lee and Chervena Chushka and are valued for their large size and thick walled flesh.

Last year, I invested in a ten tray dehydrator as well as a coffee grinder dedicated exclusively to pepper use. What the fuck are you doing with that, you may ask?

It takes a little labor, but you cut the ripe peppers into strips, removing the seeds, stem and those ribs of pithy stuff. You want only the flesh of the pepper to make the finest paprika. The strips get dehydrated at 130 F for approximately 12-24 hours depending on humidity.

Once they're fully dried, they go into the coffee grinder to become powderized into paprika. The aroma and flavor of homemade paprika is eminently superior to anything you would buy in a store, including the high end Hungarian shit.

Anyone else doing anything with peppers or herbs? I make hot sauce too, motherfuckers, and I'm willing to ship a few bottles to any Drunkard with a North American shipping address who wants a piece.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Making your own paprika

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Smarty Assfellow knowing everything about stuff.

Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

I'll be taking some BF hot sauce home next time I "wisit". There should be a thread dedicated to "Shit we put hot sauce on". My list is pretty fking long. Breakfast burrito comes to mind right away.
Okole maluna!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I too do hot sauce and powder the dehydrated pulp from the extraction process.

Are you gonna try a smoked paprika powder? Mrs. Patchez loves the store bought smoked stuff.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Patchez wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:39 pm
Are you gonna try a smoked paprika powder? Mrs. Patchez loves the store bought smoked stuff.
Funny you should ask. Yes, I usually do some peppers on the smoker with applewood, alder or a simple oak. Four hours at low heat usually does the job nicely.

But this year, what I'm really excited about are the Hatch peppers that came from a little specialty nursary out in the boonies. Got a couple "Ms. Junie" variety peppers coming in that are damn near measuring a foot long, I shit you not. They're fucking humongo. These big whoppin' chilis are best roasted or smoked. If not eaten fresh, they can be processed into hot sauce or dehydrated into flakes or powder.

I'll save Mrs. Patchez some smoked paprika as well as the regular sweet paprika. Have some spicier stuff too if you're interested.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:48 am
Smarty Assfellow knowing everything about stuff.
I know a little about a lot, and I know a lot about you being a total dorkwad.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Badfellow wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:22 pm
Patchez wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:39 pm
Funny you should ask. Yes, I usually do some peppers on the smoker with applewood, alder or a simple oak. Four hours at low heat usually does the job nicely.

But this year, what I'm really excited about are the Hatch peppers that came from a little specialty nursary out in the boonies. Got a couple "Ms. Junie" variety peppers coming in that are damn near measuring a foot long, I shit you not. They're fucking humongo. These big whoppin' chilis are best roasted or smoked. If not eaten fresh, they can be processed into hot sauce or dehydrated into flakes or powder.

I'll save Mrs. Patchez some smoked paprika as well as the regular sweet paprika. Have some spicier stuff too if you're interested.
Very interested.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Badfellow wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:25 am
So I've been growing some peppers.

In addition to the nuclear stuff that approaches 2,000,000 Scoville units, I also grow a number of more more mild varieties that are traditionally used in the making of powdered paprika. They have peculiar, heirloom names such as Leutschauer, Krimson Lee and Chervena Chushka and are valued for their large size and thick walled flesh.

Last year, I invested in a ten tray dehydrator as well as a coffee grinder dedicated exclusively to pepper use. What the fuck are you doing with that, you may ask?

It takes a little labor, but you cut the ripe peppers into strips, removing the seeds, stem and those ribs of pithy stuff. You want only the flesh of the pepper to make the finest paprika. The strips get dehydrated at 130 F for approximately 12-24 hours depending on humidity.

Once they're fully dried, they go into the coffee grinder to become powderized into paprika. The aroma and flavor of homemade paprika is eminently superior to anything you would buy in a store, including the high end Hungarian shit.

Anyone else doing anything with peppers or herbs? I make hot sauce too, motherfuckers, and I'm willing to ship a few bottles to any Drunkard with a North American shipping address who wants a piece.
Ooooh. Dinner at your place?
like tears in rain