Oktoberfestive treats

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Savage, Donald J. Drunk, Screwball

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Oktoberfestive treats

Post by oettinger »

Mine are not fried
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

oettinger wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:47 am
Mine are not fried
Yet.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Krustenbraten (Roasted Crust - pork)

Krustenbraten (Roasted Crust)

This is all roughly translated but y'all get the gist and I have faith y'all can wing it.

Ingredients for 4 (or one or two if ya have the drunchies- thanks Patchez!)

1 ½ kg Pork shoulder or pork belly, with rind (3.30 lbs.)
1 large Karotte (Carrot)
1 stick Lauch (Leek)
1 small Zweibel (Onion)
1 clove Knoblauch (Garlic)
1 bottle Weizenbier (white beer)
1 cube Bratensaft (broth)
2 tbsp Sauerrahm (sour cream)

Caraway seed
salt and pepper
Chicken seasoning
Clarified butter
Cornstarch for binding

Preparation

Working time approx. 45 minutes
Cooking / baking time approx. 2 hours
Total time approx. 2 hours 45 minutes

Cut into the pork rind to make small cubes. If you can, it's best to have the butcher cut into it, otherwise as a little tip to make things easier for yourself: Simply use poultry scissors - this saves time and the hand doesn't hurt too much.

Then salt the rind heavily. Season the remaining sides of the roast with caraway seeds, pepper and salt (I also like to use seasoned chicken salt). Set the meat aside.

Preheat the oven to 180 ° C fan oven (350°ish F)

Clean the vegetables and cut into pieces approx. 2 cm long. Melt a little clarified butter in a roaster and sear the roast on all sides - but not the rind. Place the vegetables in the roaster around the meat - the crust is facing up. Deglaze with about 1/3 of the beer and bring to the boil briefly.

Crumble the gravy and add to the stock. Add water until the liquid is about halfway through the roast. Then put in the hot oven for about 2 hours. In between, pour in water or a little beer from time to time. Always take care of the crust so it doesn't burn.

After 2 hours, take the meat out of the roaster and pour the sauce through a sieve into a saucepan. Put the vegetables back in the roaster, place the meat on top and return to the oven.

Add the rest of the beer to the sauce, season to taste and bring to the boil. Then stir 2 tablespoons of sour cream into the sauce - do not let it boil anymore. If the sauce is too thin for you, you can thicken it with a little cornstarch.

Put the oven on grill level and let the crust "pop". Always keep an eye on the roast so that the crust doesn't burn - this takes a maximum of 2 minutes and you have the crispest crust ever. Take the meat out of the oven and cut into approx. 1 cm thick slices.
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Obatzda
Bavarian „Obatzda“, is made from camembert, butter, onions and spices

A Bavarian cheese delicacy, it is prepared by mixing two thirds aged soft cheese, usually Camembert (Romadur or similar cheeses may be used as well such as brie, cream cheese or Limburger) and one third butter.
Spices include sweet or hot paprika powder, salt and pepper are the traditional seasonings, as well as a small amount of beer.
The cheeses and spices are mixed together into a more or less smooth mass according to taste.
An optional amount of onions, garlic, horseradish, cloves and ground or roasted caraway seeds may be used and some cream or cream cheese as well.

It is usually eaten spread on bread or pretzels. Obatzda is a classic example of Bavarian biergarten food.

A similar Austrian/Hungarian/Slovak recipe is called Liptauer which uses fresh curd cheese as a substitute for the soft cheeses and the butter, but uses about the same spice mix.

Obatzda
200 g Camembert (1 cup)
2 Tbsp Butter, soft
1 Onion (s), finely chopped
1 TL Caraway seeds, coarsely crushed (around a tsp)
Salt
Pepper
Paprika powder
Onion (s) in rings, for garnish

Mash the camembert with a fork and mix it with the butter so that it becomes a fine crumbly mass. Mix in the onion, caraway seeds, salt and pepper as well as the paprika powder to taste.

Cover with onion rings and sprinkled with some caraway seeds, serve in proper style on a wooden board.

By Rainer Z ... - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3702347

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obatzda
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Himmel und Erde aka Heaven and Earth
German Mashed Apples and Potatoes

Tamorlan, CC BY-SA 3.0 <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>, via Wikimedia Commons

Ingredients for 4
500 g Potato (s), diced (2 cups and 1 tbsp)
500 g Apples, quartered, peeled (2 cups and 1 tbsp)
375 ml water (1.58 cups)
100 g Bacon, diced (1/2 cup)
2 Onion (s), sliced
1 tbsp oil
To taste:
salt
sugar
vinegar

Bring the water to the boil. Add the potatoes, apples, salt and sugar, bring to the boil again and cook over low heat until everything is soft. After cooking, mash everything with a potato masher. Then add salt, sugar and vinegar to taste.

Now heat the oil and leave the bacon in it, then take the bacon out of the pan. Brown the onions in it and pour the bacon and onions over the finished dish.
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Original Münchner Schweinshaxe Rezept
(Original Munich pork knuckle recipe)

Ingredients for the pork knuckle for 2 people:
1 pork knuckle (approx. 1.2 kg or 2.6 lbs)
2 bottles of beer (Münchner Helles-1 liter - 33oz)
250 ml hot water (1 cup)
1/2 celery root
1 carrot
1 bunch of soup greens like parsley
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp juniper berries
1/2 tbsp black peppercorns
3-4 teaspoons cold butter

Thoroughly wash the root vegetables and chop them roughly. Wash the pork knuckle under cold water. Place 1 bottle of beer with water, spices, root vegetables and soup greens in a sufficiently large saucepan and gently cook the pork knuckle for about 2 hours over low heat.

Preheat the oven to 220 degrees. Take the pork knuckle out of the stock, place in a greased pot, pour the second bottle of beer over it and salt evenly. Roast in the preheated oven for approx. 1 hour until crispy. Turn it a little every few minutes and pour a sip of the roast beer stock over it, this will make the crust particularly crisp.

Drain the puree gravy into a small saucepan and reduce over high heat. Remove from heat and stir in 3-4 teaspoons of ice-cold butter to thicken the sauce. Remove the meat from the bone, cut into slices and serve on the plates with white cabbage and potato dumplings. Add enough sauce and serve.
Okole maluna!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

^^^ those all look really good. Especially Krustenbraten Roasted (pork) Crust and German Mashed Apples and Potatoes.

For the roasted pork does white beer mean wheat beer? Or will a cheap lager work? Have you ever used a can of broth instead of the cube as the recipe mentions? I'm guessing set the oven to grill level means the broiler.

The mashed apples and potatoes looks like bangers and mash without the gravy. What kind of sausage would you reccomend for that one?

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

scream ale wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:10 am
^^^ those all look really good. Especially Krustenbraten Roasted (pork) Crust and German Mashed Apples and Potatoes.

For the roasted pork does white beer mean wheat beer? Or will a cheap lager work? Have you ever used a can of broth instead of the cube as the recipe mentions? I'm guessing set the oven to grill level means the broiler.

The mashed apples and potatoes looks like bangers and mash without the gravy. What kind of sausage would you reccomend for that one?
I’ll take a crack at answering those questions:

-Yes, white beer basically means wheat beer. You could use cheap lager or broth as a braising liquid, but bear in mind whatever you use will obviously effect the finished flavor. And you guess right that grilling and broiling are in many ways the same ol’ thing.

-Sausage, eh? You could use a classic bratwurst or weisswurst, or you could use a killer Polish sausage or even a red hot. Just don’t use any of that sawdust filled tripe the English call bangers.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

scream ale wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:10 am

Have you ever used a can of broth instead of the cube as the recipe mentions?
Absolutely. Just know that one bouillon cube = one cup of broth and a can of broth is usually 14.5 oz which = 1.81 cups.

Badfellow's suggestions on the others were great. He actually knows more than I about those things.

And yes as BF said, we also know the white beers as Hefeweizen in the US. My favorite was Widmer with a lemon wedge.
Okole maluna!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

^^^ Thank you both for the advice.
I'm definetly trying the mashed apples and taters with Polish sausage in the near future. When I'm feeling more ambitous I'll try the pork roast.
Cheers.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Polish sausage on Oktoberfest? You guys must be kidding. I guess you mean Krakauer? That shit doesn`t belong on a bavarian platter. It tastes way too good for being included on the north austrian menue
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

There's no way I'm not making this with Polish sausage now. Making German food unGerman is too appealing. I'm also going to start making American food more Canadian. No idea how but I shall persevere.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Poutine burgers anyone?
Drink!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

What poutine could really use is some kielbasa. Oktoberfest poutine. And don’t skimp on the beer. Cheap beer is good for the daily grind but good food demands good beer.

Yes, I feel a bit sad for poor Oetts. He lives in such a beer rich nation and yet he guzzles vodka like a gopnik.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

I'm kinda picky about fish but this looks good. I've never even had trout!

German Pan-Fried Trout

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes Yield: 4 servings

DESCRIPTION
This crispy traditional German pan-fried trout with a butter-beer sauce is easy and quick to prepare --- perfect for an Oktoberfest celebration.

INGREDIENTS
For German Pan-Fried Trout
4 whole trout, gutted and prepared for cooking
¼ cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pepper
5 lemons, divided
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish

For Butter-Beer Sauce
¼ cup butter
1 garlic clove, grated or minced
1-2 tablespoons beer, preferably a wiessbier or something similar
½ lemon, juiced
Pinch of salt

INSTRUCTIONS
Rinse the inside of the trout and pat dry.

Mix together the flour, salt and pepper and spread on a large plate. Dredge both sides of each trout. Cut four lemons into slices and tuck the slices into the fish.

Heat the canola oil over medium-high in a large skillet until it shimmers. Carefully place two trout in the skillet and cook for about five minutes on one side. Flip the trout and cook for another five minutes on the other side. When the first two trout finish cooking, either keep warm in a 200-degree oven or cover with tinfoil. Repeat with the remaining trout. If necessary, you can add more oil to the skillet.

While the second fish cook, melt the butter. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in the beer, lemon juice and salt. Start with 1 tablespoon of beer and if you want a stronger beer flavor, add another tablespoon.

Garnish the trout with fresh parsley and sprinkle the juice of the remaining lemon over the fish. Serve with a side of butter-beer sauce. Enjoy!
Okole maluna!