And now, a brief word on Grenadine

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

And now, a brief word on Grenadine

Post by Badfellow »

Grenadine: certainly any well seasoned drunk has heard of it, a simpe syrup of a brillient red hue used for it's flavor and color contributions to cocktails. The word itself is a derivation from grenade (French) or granada (Spanish), depending upon which side of the Pyrenees you might be standing. Either way, the translation is pomegranate. However, it is cloyingly ironic that the best selling brand in North America, Rose's, contains not a single drop of the namesake fruit.

Well, fuck that. Not in my house.

As much as I dislike the Stirrings brand of mixers for their shamelessly over priced yup-appeal, I've got to hand them props for making a fine grenadine. Second ingredient on the list is pomegranate juice. No artificial punk-ass ingredients.

It's the lynchpin of the Tequila Sunrise. It's the sole differentiating factor between the Zombie and the Wonderous Punch. And yes, it's also used to make a Shirley Temple, or so I am told by Lord Grimace Pantywaist Hornbuckle .308, who is known to favor this beverage after a particularly brutal 3.2 beer bender.

Grenadine, true grenadine, belongs in your repertoire.

Root out those imposters, those bottles of artificially flavored garbage, as I propose to you that that is precisely where they belong.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: And now, a brief word on Grenadine

Post by MeanOldLady »

Badfellow wrote:punk-ass ingredients.
HA!

you've made me feel very insecure about myself, so i dusted off and checked my bottle of grenadine. eventually, after the artificial business, i found pomegranate juice listed as an ingredient. i'm not sure if this makes mine punk ass or half ass, but i still have a litre of it, so it's going to use regardless. in the future i can't say i'll try to make better choices, but i'll try to try.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Attempts to track down exactly where and when grenadine entered American mixology have met with little success. Given the French end of etymology, it may have made it's debut during the mid nineteenth century zenith of cocktail culture in New Orleans, much along the same manner as the popularization of bitters.

More likely, grenadine found it's way into usage by way of the Eastern Seaboard, that is, New York City and Boston. That the pomegranate is not native to the Americas would have only lended allure to such an exotic ingredient as it found it's way into the tipple of the well-to-do.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Kilgore Stout
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Kilgore Stout »

From Wikipedia:

"Grenadine can also be combined with beer, forming what has been coined "grena-beer" or more recently "Christmas beer." The grena-beer fad originated in Europe during the nineties. It is currently popular in Southern California."

Interesting...

Mallory Knox
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Mallory Knox »

Two words:

SLO GIN!!!
ivan wrote:Bring it! You foe me, and I'll make brilliant posts that you won't see!

White Dog
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by White Dog »

Grenadine is a shitty bartenders go to guy.
Ting-a-ling! -Kilgore Trout-