My Old Granddad took me to Manhattan...

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

H.P. Loveshaft
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

My Old Granddad took me to Manhattan...

Post by H.P. Loveshaft »

...and kicked my ass up and down the schoolyard. I dunno, it just didn't taste right, but I slogged it down regardless, must have been the missing cherry. Either that or I've put my palate into a stranglehold with the half decade of Old Crow and Coke that I've become accustomed to.
Jesus! You think Eddie Money has to put up with this shit?!

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

You probably skimped on the Vermouth. It's a common mistake caused by the hatred of Vermouth generated by those Gin lovin' Martini swillers, Hawkeye and Trapper John.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

Tipsy McStagger
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Tipsy McStagger »

Oggar wrote:You probably skimped on the Vermouth. It's a common mistake caused by the hatred of Vermouth generated by those Gin lovin' Martini swillers, Hawkeye and Trapper John.
Don't forget Winston Churchill. The only thing going in his martini other than gin was the tear that fell as he looked towards france.
On more than one occassion this conversation has led to a handful of boob."
~Oggar

H.P. Loveshaft
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by H.P. Loveshaft »

You probably skimped on the Vermouth. It's a common mistake caused by the hatred of Vermouth generated by those Gin lovin' Martini swillers, Hawkeye and Trapper John.
I started at about 75/25 (favor bourbon, natch) and gradually slid it to about a 60/40.

maybe I should consult:

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

Wow that's a great untaken board name, Dr. Manhattan. You used plenty of the Vermouth. Cherry juice or grenadine? Give us a little more info and I'll be able to tell if you did something wrong or if your palate is fucked.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

H.P. Loveshaft
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by H.P. Loveshaft »

Wow that's a great untaken board name, Dr. Manhattan. You used plenty of the Vermouth. Cherry juice or grenadine? Give us a little more info and I'll be able to tell if you did something wrong or if your palate is fucked.
Nope on the grenadine or cherry juice, it appears I fucked up. I was trying to emulate the way they do it at the bar, and I totally forgot they used a bit of the maraschino juice when they do the garnish. It seems that it was indeed the goddam cherry.

As for Dr. Manhattan, thats my buddies nickname in our current drinking group, The Watchmen Drinking Society, as we fancy ourselves. I'm Night Owl, btw. "Who Drinks Like the Watchmen?"

H.P. Loveshaft
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by H.P. Loveshaft »

Update:

Manhattan situation rectified, thanks Ogg. On the other hand, I think I'm going to have to turn in my shaker for re-education in the art of home made cocktails that aren't ____&Coke, as I have ballsed up several others in the interim. I've spoiled myself by having others make them for me for so long.

daphne
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: Washington. Home of JZ Knight and other nuts, which is why we drink here.

Post by daphne »

Manhattans were the very first introduction I had to bartending. When Dad came home at 4:30 on the weekdays, he'd have me make him a Manhattan. I think I was 8 or 9. He never skimped on the vermouth. Nice call, Oggar.
RIP Frederick and my beloved GatorX
You deserve all the puffery you can get
daph and grip say "bourbony goodness!"
http://daphneszoo.com/

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

daphne wrote:Manhattans were the very first introduction I had to bartending. When Dad came home at 4:30 on the weekdays, he'd have me make him a Manhattan. I think I was 8 or 9. He never skimped on the vermouth. Nice call, Oggar.
Let's not forget the importance of bitters in this equation.
Though I do agree, many people skimp on the vermouth to the detriment of the cocktail.
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595