What are you supposed to mix with brandy?

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

Bluespook
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Bluespook »

What to mix with brandy you ask? Why a nice cigar of course! Nothing goes quite so well with a snifter of brandy than a nice cigar. If it's flavored brandy, well try this one out. It's a shot now, not a sipping drink. Half a shot of anisette and top it off with blackberry brandy. Also known as... drum roll please....... a Blue Spook. Used to be my favorite shot years ago. I had the misfortune of getting a bottle of absinthe from eastern Europe that my brother sent me before I knew what absinthe was. I used it in the Blue Spook rather than the anisette and drank it all up over the course of a few weeks. This was a very good combination to be sure, but it also had an undesired side effect. My wife made me swear on the lives of our children that I would never drink a Blue Spook again since they seem to have made my already strange drunken behavior rather bizare. Normally I wouldn't ever submit to a promise so grave, but I was so hungover when I made it that I thought it was a pretty good idea to stay off that stuff. Years later I found out what I had been drinking and cursed myself for not drinking it in the traditional method.
Beer's just being social. Whiskey's drinkin'.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Bundy Savage wrote: my mum and dad swear by (or with) brandy in milk..... then they dribble on themselves and pass out before 9pm.... do you think its a bit out of order to be leaving old folks home brochures on their bedside table?
Isn't this the drink that Sonny drinks in "Sonny's Blues" by James Baldwin? I know he ordered something and milk, and I could swear it was brandy. I'd like to think that its a good drink if James Baldwin is writing about it.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

IndyGuy77
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by IndyGuy77 »

nic the chick wrote:
DrDrinkBastard wrote:Brandy, blackberry Brandy, lemon-lime soda, and Vodka make for a smooth pantydropper.
i sense "dotw" in this, but maybe later in the year. brandy is such a fall/winter drink.
What's DOTW??
Current favorite drinks: BOOKERS!! Bombay Sapphire, Makers Mark, Trader Joe's Germanic beers

May a moody baby doom a yam?

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

Best debut album:

I'll miss you, pallie.

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Stomach acid. Drink up!
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Illuminatus
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Illuminatus »

Lolly Allen wrote:Stomach acid. Drink up!
word.

that being said, being a subject of the booze dictatorship that is ontario, if I had to buy cheap brandy, I'd rather buy cheap whiskey for the same price, and if I had to buy expensive brandy, I'd rather buy good scotch.
"Busch Lite has no bouquet. It has weeds." - daphne

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

IndyGuy77 wrote:What's DOTW??
Drink Of The Week. Originated years ago by the almighty Barca, and brilliantly carried on weekly by the unwavering DrDrinkBastard.
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

cloud8
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: What are you supposed to mix with brandy?

Post by cloud8 »

Zimne_Piwo wrote:It's Christian Brothers. Nothing too amazing. I don't have any coke or ginger ale. We've got pink lemonade, seltzer, and kippers.

I dunno.
Christian Brothers is our house brandy. Not exactly VSOP, but it gets the job done. Good straight, with soda, or with tea, honey and lemon for what ails ya. Eric Felton had an interesting recipe in his Saturday drink column. It was called (I think)

Between the Sheets

equal parts:
Brandy
Dark Rum
Grand Marnier

one third part:
fresh lemon juice

Shake and strain.

Yum.
"Never apologise for being in the Bourbon aisle."
--Smatter Noguts

waahoohah
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/ ... a_flag.png

Post by waahoohah »

How about this:
1 shot Brandy
a splash Sailor Jerry
a splash one of Cloud8's av's (which one? do you really care?)

What would you call it? I'm drawing a blank here...
"Beginner's luck is only possible if you try."

-Lee Harvey Oswald

cloud8
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by cloud8 »

waahoohah wrote:How about this:
1 shot Brandy
a splash Sailor Jerry
a splash one of Cloud8's av's (which one? do you really care?)

What would you call it? I'm drawing a blank here...
Cloud 9?
"Never apologise for being in the Bourbon aisle."
--Smatter Noguts

will_butler
Tippler
Tippler

Post by will_butler »

From the immortal The Big Sleep:

Sternwood: How do you like your brandy, sir?

Marlowe: In a glass.

Sternwood: I used to like mine with champagne. Champagne cold as Valley Forge and with about three ponies of brandy under it...I like to see people drink...You may take off your coat, sir...Too hot in here for any man who has any blood in his veins. You may smoke, too. I can still enjoy the smell of it. Nice state of affairs when a man has to indulge his vices by proxy.

Will

Cowboy Joe
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Cowboy Joe »

I find a French 75 a good way of turning cheap brandy and cheap champagne in to something quite nice.....