The Martini

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

Professor Beer
Tippler
Tippler

The Martini

Post by Professor Beer »

Do you like yours shaken, stirred, vodka, gin, dirty, on the rocks, in stemware, or (heaven forbid) fruity?!

I prefer gin, dirty, on the rocks and stirred.

KaosDad
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: The Martini

Post by KaosDad »

If I am going to be inside, Tanqueray gin, shaken, on the stem.

If I am going on the porch - on ice, stirred.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Bombay Sapphire, shaken, with a whisper of quality vermouth, one extremely high-grade Spanish or Italian olive and on the stem.

As 007 might say, "Yummy!"
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by ***** »

Beefeater, shaken, poured into a Vermouth-rinsed chill Martini glass, two olives. Smoked or raw oysters, carpaccio, or a cheese & fruit plate for a snack.

Illiniwek
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Illiniwek »

peetie44 wrote:Bombay Sapphire, shaken, with a whisper of quality vermouth, one extremely high-grade Spanish or Italian olive and on the stem.

But didn't Bond drink vodak martinis?

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Illiniwek wrote:
peetie44 wrote:Bombay Sapphire, shaken, with a whisper of quality vermouth, one extremely high-grade Spanish or Italian olive and on the stem.

But didn't Bond drink vodak martinis?
Yes, but he didn't know any better.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Rogue Bottle Slinger
Souse
Souse

Post by Rogue Bottle Slinger »

I actually keep a small misting bottle of dry vermouth on the bar for martinis . . .

Bombay Gin shaken and served over ice, two garlic stuffed olives, two mist sprays of vermouth over the top.

Alternatively: Hendricks Gin stirred over ice, strained into a stem. Mention the concept of vermouth prior to the first sip.

Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by **** »

DrDrinkBastard wrote:Beefeater, shaken, poured into a Vermouth-rinsed chill Martini glass, two olives. Smoked or raw oysters, carpaccio, or a cheese & fruit plate for a snack.
sounds like a prescription to cure idle hand syndrome. i'll take two..

shylock
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shylock »

Chilled glass using club soda instead of water, rinse glass with vermouth afterwards. Stirred Plymouth gin with two olives.
"Shotguns and whiskey, while fun, do not necessarily go together, unless you're duck hunting...then if it flies...it dies." Gaston

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Martini Time »

DrDrinkBastard wrote:Beefeater, shaken, poured into a Vermouth-rinsed chill Martini glass, two olives. Smoked or raw oysters, carpaccio, or a cheese & fruit plate for a snack.
DING!! DING!! DING!!!

We have a winner!!!!

(though lately I've become quite fond of the Anchor "Junipero, "209" and "Bluecoat" craft-gins.)
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"

Cowboy Joe
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Cowboy Joe »

I love the martini. Though I once almost lost my shit when a waiter asked me "How's your tini, sir?"

My basic recipe is with gin, 4:1 vermouth ratio, shaken into a stem with olives. Depending on my mood and budget, gins are usually Gordon's, Tanqueray, Bombay (not Sapphire, if I can help it), or Aviation (local to the NW USA). Just about impossible to get anything other than a very dry martini in a bar, so that's what I drink when out, but when running the shaker tin at home I make them the old fashioned way....that is, with a measurable amount of vermouth in the drink. I like blue cheese stuffed olives, but the ordinary pimento kind will do.

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Gin, stirred, very little vermouth and dirty in stemware.
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

Tafkas
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Tafkas »

Gin, stirred, vermouth barely introduced, stemware. Not a fan of olives though.

audition
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by audition »

Tanqueray or Sapphire (Saffy, dahling, sweetie!), a drop or two of vermouth, ice-cold, stirred. Proportion of gin to vermouth should be unfathomably high (to most, anyway). No olives, or garnish of any sort, for that matter. Can't waste time.
Candy
Is dandy
But liquor
Is quicker.
-Nash

KaosDad
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by KaosDad »

My Dad (Captain, United States Navy - career) was a martini officianado. One of the folks he knew was Dr. Edward Teller - the inventor of the hydrogen bomb. When they went to set the first one off one of the other scientists (I think his names was Batiste) set a brown paper bag at ground zero. As folks were eager to get away (no-really?) no one said anything about it. They detonated the bomb and things went as planned (hoped).

At that point, Teller looked at Batiste and asked about the bag. Dr. Teller reported the conversation went like this (to the best of my memory):

B: "Oh, that was a large bottle of very fine dry vermouth."
T: "It was vaporized, why would you do that?"
B: "Exactly. Look, none of us knew what was going to happen, but if successful this is going to be to most powerful weapon in the world. I wanted something good to come out of it."
T: "I still do not follow."
B: "Well, now, if a fellow wants a perfectly dry Martini all he needs to do is pour his gin into a shaker full of ice, shake until very cold, pour into a stem then hold his glass outside for ten seconds."

My Dad swore this to be a true story for his whole life.

(Loves ya Pops! Have one with God me, OK?)