tonic water question sounds odd, but it's important

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

0x1A8
Tippler
Tippler

tonic water question sounds odd, but it's important

Post by 0x1A8 »

of course it's important. it's about booze.

do any of you drunkards know if you can get unsweetened tonic water. not sugar free, but with NO sweetener - no sugar, and saccharine, no aspartame, nothin'.

I love gin and tonic, but after three or four, I feel like I'm drinking sugar water. It gets vile, and what I'd like is to get good tonic water with no sweetener, and then if I find it too bitter, add some syrup or something.

I've asked at the liquor store, the bar, the google (heh), no luck. But they all said 'I don't know', not 'No. There is no such thing.', so I ask you, the people I should have asked first, you true connoisseurs of corn liquor, you heroes of hooch, you wizards of whiskey - Is there such a thing as unsweetened tonic water, and if so, what is the brand name, or from where can i order it?

I thank you.

Rip Rufus
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway
Location: On the border of Pineys Everywhere and Gaudy Summer Homes. Not far from Ghetto in the Woods.

Re: tonic water question sounds odd, but it's important

Post by Rip Rufus »

I'll tell you what no one else wants to: there is no such thing. Just like Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, and a well-groomed Frenchman, unsweetened tonic water doesn't exist.

Now, welcome to the boad, new guy buys, I'll take a Wild Turkey with a small glass of unsweetened tonic water.
"You know, you remind me of a poem I can't remember, and a song that may never have existed, and a place I'm not sure I've ever been to." - A.J.S.

0x1A8
Tippler
Tippler

Post by 0x1A8 »

thanks for the straight answer, Rufus!

I'll cover the tab. And if you ever get to Tallahassle, FL, I'll get it for real.

gaaa! what the hell!? The real,original tonic sure as hell wasn't sweetened! I guess, I've bought xanax from India, maybe i can buy quinine fro China, and make my own.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

0x1A8 wrote:thanks for the straight answer, Rufus!

I'll cover the tab. And if you ever get to Tallahassle, FL, I'll get it for real.

gaaa! what the hell!? The real,original tonic sure as hell wasn't sweetened! I guess, I've bought xanax from India, maybe i can buy quinine fro China, and make my own.
0x1A8,

Welcome to the board! Here's a Wikip for tonic water (in case you haven't already Googled it):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_water

I don't know if you can get straight quinine w/o a doctor's help, but it's worth investigating. I'd like to try an authentic, East Indian Company G&T myself.

I see you're from FL. It would seem that concerns about mosquito-carried diseases must have been a local issue for your neck-of-the-woods, at some point in history, as well. Is there a local tradition of quinine-assisted drinks?

But I'll take a regular G&T, if you're buying, please sir!

**clink**
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

mormonholocaust
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by mormonholocaust »

I've found Tonic Water with Quinine before; less than 6 months ago I got it at a Sunfresh in Kansas City. I don't know if it was free of sweetners, but it was still rather bitter tasting.

I can't recall the brand name, but that's because I'm pretty positive it lacked one. It was just "TONIC WATER" which stated "WITH QUININE" on the front label.
Greetings from The Humungus! The Lord Humungus! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla!

FUCK TETLEY'S ENGLISH ALE

One for the Frog
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by One for the Frog »

Until you find one (there must be some in Belgium - ha!), you can always soften the sweet taste by adding and extra splash of Gin. That works for me.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

One for the Frog wrote:Until you find one (there must be some in Belgium - ha!), you can always soften the sweet taste by adding and extra splash of Gin. That works for me.
OftF,

Good point...extra gin.

Yeah, I'll have to ask around, but G&T's aren't a real popular drink here in Belgium. (would you like a beer?) Maybe my liquor guy in Amsterdam will have some insight on high-quinine tonic water, but it's really a 19th, early-20th century Brit thing.

I don't care about the sweeteners so much (that was the OP's quibble). But it WOULD be interesting to taste a G&T made with a high-quinine content, like they did back in the day.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

One for the Frog

Post by One for the Frog »

peetie44 wrote:
One for the Frog wrote:Until you find one (there must be some in Belgium - ha!), you can always soften the sweet taste by adding and extra splash of Gin. That works for me.
OftF,

Good point...extra gin.

Yeah, I'll have to ask around, but G&T's aren't a real popular drink here in Belgium. (would you like a beer?) Maybe my liquor guy in Amsterdam will have some insight on high-quinine tonic water, but it's really a 19th, early-20th century Brit thing.

I don't care about the sweeteners so much (that was the OP's quibble). But it WOULD be interesting to taste a G&T made with a high-quinine content, like they did back in the day.
I'm really sorry, I was referring to an old joke. Last time I left this board everyone who mentioned Belgium agreed that it's a Country That Never Existed.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

One for the Frog wrote:
Last time I left this board everyone who mentioned Belgium agreed that it's a Country That Never Existed.
Well, the locals ARE presently working overtime to make Belgian non-existence a reality.

Meanwhile, there IS "Bier Huis" in Lommel (Limbourg, Flanders)...
Attachments
P8060001.jpg
P8060001.jpg (196.02 KiB) Viewed 11180 times

thirsty4beer
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by thirsty4beer »

i wouldn't mind taking a run at that place!
mine's a pint

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

I find that simply adding very little tonic is my best bet, just enough to flavour but without actually making it taste all tonic like.....then again i just drink the gin now cos i prefer it.
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Gin McGuinness »

club-fucking-soda
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Gin McGuinness wrote:club-fucking-soda
Tried that but it dont taste right.

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Gin McGuinness »

captain gonzo wrote:
Gin McGuinness wrote:club-fucking-soda
Tried that but it dont taste right.
then you got no taste
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

It tastes all carbon dioxide-y

gin straight....out the bottle....whats distateful about that?

Either that or 6:1 with vermouth and olive brine, stirred on ice and served in an ice cold cocktail glass....