Today is a bit cold, but soon is the season for Mint Juleps.

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Today is a bit cold, but soon is the season for Mint Juleps.

Post by John Barleycorn »

Are there other kinds of Juleps? Should the cup be sterling silver or plated silver? What bourbon or rye is the best to use? Any tips?

Here is a nice video about them, including a lovely poem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJV-O1e10z8
Last edited by John Barleycorn on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Today is a bit cold, but soon is the season for Mint Jul

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

I prefer Rye in Juleps, but any higher-proof bourbon works well too. Your sweeter bourbons like Makers or Jim Beam should be used for something else. I actually use EW frequently, as it's usually what I have on hand and it's mixable price.

A silver beaker is the most traditional, but I just used my regular double-old fashioned glasses, Can't imagine it makes that much of a difference.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

Yes it will be soon summertime and the mint Juleps time.Like in the old south.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

This should be in the drink recipes section but I used to make a "silver julep" which was rumpleminze, Jim beam, in equal porportion, and alot of Ice. It got you crazy drunk and because of the lack of sugar/real mint leaves, The name was a play on how it was cheapened(since the confederacy wanted a silver standard).
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

Damn, DeeboCools, gonna have to try that one. Sounds like a speedboat to Blackout Island.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

i steep mint leaves in my simple syrup when making it. don't leave them in, but let them steep while it cools.

rye is best, but i've had success with makers as well. just use less simple syrup.

silver plate is acceptable, but not optimal. for the ambiance, not the taste. pewter will get you the frosting effect, too, if you aren't afraid of a little lead.

make sure to enjoy with honorable men and beautiful ladies, for the full effect.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

I have never had a mint julep.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

My traditional first Julep day is fast approaching. The Run For the Roses. Derby Day. Gamblin' and getting blind on Makers Juleps at the OTW. They serve 'em in plastic cups though. Sacrifices must be made while at the track I suppose.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

J. Tequila wrote:I have never had a mint julep.
Which border are you north of? If you're in Canader I suggest a road trip. To the liquor store.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Superfucker
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Superfucker »

When I visit my Girlfriend in North Carolina I'm hoping to go on a tour of Piedmont Distillers (http://www.piedmontdistillers.com/), who distill NC's only legal Carolina Moonshine (bit of an oxymoron, legal moonshine), and despite the heresy this might be I have every intention of enjoying a few moonshine mint juleps.
What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

BBoozer

Post by BBoozer »

My redhead visited New Orleans before she met me. She was already a good drinker. In a bar some elder people introduced her to the mint julep and warned her that it was 'a dangerous drink' and she should not drink more than two. Of course, she downed multiple mint juleps and to this days she keeps telling me that mint julep is a drink for sissies. Just sharing.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

BBoozer wrote:My redhead visited New Orleans before she met me. She was already a good drinker. In a bar some elder people introduced her to the mint julep and warned her that it was 'a dangerous drink' and she should not drink more than two. Of course, she downed multiple mint juleps and to this days she keeps telling me that mint julep is a drink for sissies. Just sharing.
Originally it was considered a breakfast drink, so that's kind of true. In good conscience though I can't call anything a sissy drink if it has bourbon in it.